Washington, DC In October

A discussion of the better things in life, including music, the arts, wine, beer, cigars, scotch, gambling the Quatloosian way, travel, sports, and many other topics. [Political and religious discussions and the like should stay off-site.]
fortinbras
Princeps Wooloosia

Re: Washington, DC In October

Post by fortinbras »

I strongly advise friends who plan to drive to DC, to stay at Maryland or Virginia hotels not far from subway stations and either take buses to, or park their cars at, the subway station and ride the subway into the city.
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Post by Demosthenes »

Another nice set of street signs in DC that require video taping to capture so I don't have them yet.

1) About 50 feet before a traffic light, there's a sign on the left that says "Left Turn Only" with a diagram showing the left lane turning left and the right lane going straight.

2) 25 feet later, there's a big white arrow painted on the asphalt marking that the left lane must turn.

3) At the light, there's a sign that says "No Left Turn."

This is near the monuments, so there's amost always a deer-in-the-headlights tourist in panic mode, frozen at the intersection with a bunch of obnoxiously honking locals piled up behind him.
Demo.
Prof
El Pontificator de Porceline Precepts

Post by Prof »

Demo is absolutely correct. When we lived in DC and I officed at the Willard Office Building, I gave up driving and rode the Metro (subway) every day. Between the traffic, the actual drivers, and the parking, it is impossible to get anywhere -- and the streets are confusing. The Metro is clean, safe and efficient, unlike the DC government or the federal government.

I suspect that the price of hotels is better in VA or MD but certainly don't know anymore.

I would also suggest a side trip to Mt. Vernon if time permits, just for the iconic nature of the visit.

Finally, any of you on an extended trip to DC should take the time to go to Gettysburg. As Gregg has said, that battlefield is one historic site that is very hard to forget and cannot be appreciated by photos or film.
"My Health is Better in November."
jg
Fed Chairman of the Quatloosian Reserve

Post by jg »

Last time there we stayed at
Embassy Suites Washington D.C. - at the Chevy Chase Pavilion
4300 Military Road NW Washington, District of Columbia USA 20015
1-202-362-9300

There was a metro station you could get to under the hotel without going outside.
The hotel had a parking garage.
The Chevy Chase Pavilion mall entrance connects to the hotel lobby.
There is a cheesecake factory in the Pavilion.
We thoroughly enjoyed our stay there.
Just one man's experience, your mileage may vary.
Parvati
Demigoddess of Volatile Benevolence

Post by Parvati »

jg wrote:Last time there we stayed at
Embassy Suites Washington D.C. - at the Chevy Chase Pavilion
4300 Military Road NW Washington, District of Columbia USA 20015
1-202-362-9300

There was a metro station you could get to under the hotel without going outside.
The hotel had a parking garage.
The Chevy Chase Pavilion mall entrance connects to the hotel lobby.
There is a cheesecake factory in the Pavilion.
We thoroughly enjoyed our stay there.
Just one man's experience, your mileage may vary.
I believe that there's an Avis location in the parking garage, isn't there...? Or at least used to be. Convenient to pick up a vehicle for the day to get out of the city for a bit. Skyline Drive is lovely--particularly in the fall when the leaves have turned.
"The risk in becoming very intimate with a moldie Parvati is that she may unexpectedly become a Kali and take your head."--Rudy Rucker, Freeware
“Most men would kill the truth if truth would kill their religion.”--Lemuel K. Washburn.
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

Prof wrote:Finally, any of you on an extended trip to DC should take the time to go to Gettysburg. As Gregg has said, that battlefield is one historic site that is very hard to forget and cannot be appreciated by photos or film.
That is another one of my "bucket list" items to do, but sadly, I won't be able to manage that this trip.
Demosthenes wrote:One more thing, save an evening to see The Capitol Steps.

http://www.capsteps.com/
That's another great suggestion - thanks!
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
Imalawman
Enchanted Consultant of the Red Stapler
Location: Formerly in a cubicle by the window where I could see the squirrels, and they were married.

Post by Imalawman »

Demosthenes wrote:One more thing, save an evening to see The Capitol Steps.

http://www.capsteps.com/
Highly recommend this. Tons of fun with clever humor.
"Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs" - Unknown
JamesVincent
A Councilor of the Kabosh

Post by JamesVincent »

Something else to look into. Theres a chain in the DC metro/ NOVA area called Hardtimes Cafe that does some really good chili. If I remember correctly the Hardtimes in Alexandria or Clarendon is like a block away from the metro stop.

http://www.hardtimes.com/

The cafes are just the restaurant and the cafe and cues are obviously restaurants and pool halls. I used to redo their pool tables and Installed the 2 in Clarendon. They serve like 4 different types of chili and won some of the chili cookoffs so many times that they arent allowed to compete anymore. Either way they are usually a good time to hang out in and some really good food. If you like spicy stuff the Chicken Alamo is awesome.

Out of all the ones Ive been in I like Germantown the best and Waldorf the least but their all pretty good.
Disciple of the cross and champion in suffering
Immerse yourself into the kingdom of redemption
Pardon your mind through the chains of the divine
Make way, the shepherd of fire

Avenged Sevenfold "Shepherd of Fire"
Doktor Avalanche
Asst Secretary, the Dept of Jesters

Post by Doktor Avalanche »

Demosthenes wrote:Tourists shoudn't drive in DC for a number of reasons, not just because of the traffic.

1) One way streets and lanes that change direction depending on the time of day.
2) Aggressive Maryland drivers + passive Virginia drivers = road rage.
3) Your GPS will scramble street indicators the closer you drive to the White House.
4) Parking is a nightmare.
Precisely why Yours Truly eschews the idea of driving in DC.
The laissez-faire argument relies on the same tacit appeal to perfection as does communism. - George Soros
Doktor Avalanche
Asst Secretary, the Dept of Jesters

Post by Doktor Avalanche »

JamesVincent wrote:Something else to look into. Theres a chain in the DC metro/ NOVA area called Hardtimes Cafe that does some really good chili.
Oh no they don't do good chili!

You want good chili in DC, you go here:

The laissez-faire argument relies on the same tacit appeal to perfection as does communism. - George Soros
webhick
Illuminati Obfuscation: Black Ops Div

Post by webhick »

Doktor Avalanche wrote:You want good chili in DC, you go here:
Is that a psychedelic bear?
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

It's a psychedelic panda!

http://joeorgren.com/dc/pandas.htm
Demo.
webhick
Illuminati Obfuscation: Black Ops Div

Post by webhick »

Demosthenes wrote:It's a psychedelic panda!

http://joeorgren.com/dc/pandas.htm
There are no words.
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

The panda statue campaign was a hat tip to the earlier donkey/elephant statues.

http://jophan.org/safari/
Demo.
fortinbras
Princeps Wooloosia

Post by fortinbras »

The problem with the donkey statues was that the donkey had the wrong kind of tail (I think a horse's tail).

At the last get-together I did not thoroughly enjoy it because the restaurant broke us up into small tables and I wound up just out of earshot of the main conversation. So let's try for something with a different topography.
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

Pandas without pomelo panamas? Positively piffling.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

My best DC trip ever was when I stayed in Crystal City at a hotel (wish I could remember which one) with a mall in the basement, and a Metro stop in the mall. I pulled in, valeted the car, and didn't see or miss it for a week. Last time I went, I stayed in Tyson's Corner, a few blocks from the Metro, and I did drive on that trip out to Mt Vernon, stopped at Arlington on the way back and Metro did the rest.

And doesn anyone know what hotel in Crystal City I'm talking about?
Supreme Commander of The Imperial Illuminati Air Force
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.
JamesVincent
A Councilor of the Kabosh

Post by JamesVincent »

Gregg wrote:My best DC trip ever was when I stayed in Crystal City at a hotel (wish I could remember which one) with a mall in the basement, and a Metro stop in the mall. I pulled in, valeted the car, and didn't see or miss it for a week. Last time I went, I stayed in Tyson's Corner, a few blocks from the Metro, and I did drive on that trip out to Mt Vernon, stopped at Arlington on the way back and Metro did the rest.

And doesn anyone know what hotel in Crystal City I'm talking about?
I know what your talking about but I cant remember the name either. My step-dad used to work in Crystal City and we used to go down there a lot. We would get the Metro at New Carrolton and ride in. There were some nice restaurants underground there and shopping. And of course everything else you could get to from the Metro.
Disciple of the cross and champion in suffering
Immerse yourself into the kingdom of redemption
Pardon your mind through the chains of the divine
Make way, the shepherd of fire

Avenged Sevenfold "Shepherd of Fire"
AndyK
Illuminatian Revenue Supremo Emeritus

Post by AndyK »

most likely the Crystal City Marriott -- but there are a half dozen within blocks of the station
Taxes are the price we pay for a free society and to cover the responsibilities of the evaders