Christmas Decisions

A discussion of the better things in life, including music, the arts, wine, beer, cigars, scotch, gambling the Quatloosian way, travel, sports, and many other topics. [Political and religious discussions and the like should stay off-site.]

Which DVD set should CKB start the holidays with?

Afro Samurai
No votes
Witchblade
14%
Samurai 7
No votes
Cowboy Bebop
57%
Guyver
14%
Roughnecks - Starship Trooper Chronicles
14%

Total votes: 7

JamesVincent
A Councilor of the Kabosh

Re: Christmas Decisions

Post by JamesVincent »

Although out of the ones you have listed Cowboy Bebop would top my list there is another, much shorter series that I would start out with with; Cyber City Oedo.
Disciple of the cross and champion in suffering
Immerse yourself into the kingdom of redemption
Pardon your mind through the chains of the divine
Make way, the shepherd of fire

Avenged Sevenfold "Shepherd of Fire"
rogfulton
Caveat Venditor
Location: No longer behind the satellite dish, second door along - in fact, not even in the same building.

Post by rogfulton »

I would also recommend the 13-episode Tokko manga.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokko_(manga)
"No man is above the law and no man is below it; nor do we ask any man's permission when we require him to obey it. Obedience to the law is demanded as a right; not asked as a favor."
- President Theodore Roosevelt
Parvati
Demigoddess of Volatile Benevolence

Post by Parvati »

The list you give is definitely interesting, but if you haven't watched Star Blazers (aka Space Battleship Yamato), you're seriously jeopardizing your geek cred. It's an absolute classic.
"The risk in becoming very intimate with a moldie Parvati is that she may unexpectedly become a Kali and take your head."--Rudy Rucker, Freeware
“Most men would kill the truth if truth would kill their religion.”--Lemuel K. Washburn.
Parvati
Demigoddess of Volatile Benevolence

Post by Parvati »

CaptainKickback wrote:
Parvati wrote:The list you give is definitely interesting, but if you haven't watched Star Blazers (aka Space Battleship Yamato), you're seriously jeopardizing your geek cred. It's an absolute classic.
First watched it as a freshman in college over 3 decades ago when it first made its way to US shores. I have all 3 seasons on VHS, and on DVD (Japanese with English subtitles). Plus I have the live action movie from Japan (released at the end of 2010) on DVD.

Having let my hair grow out, I am just about ready to hook myself up with the right uniform to be Captain Avatar.

As a kid living in Hawaii some 4 decades ago is where I first saw Ultraman, Speed Racer, and even old reruns of Astro-Boy. And yes I have also watched G-Force, Macross, Voltron, Mazinger, etc. One year at Comic-con I rocked my Ultra-man t-shirt, Ultra-man hat and badge as a member of the Ultra-Force - Ultraman Halberd Gold. And for me the ONLY Lizard King is Godzilla........
The geek-fu is strong with this one. :wink:

I, too, had Star Blazers on VHS at one time. A college-era ex-BF borrowed them, and they never found their way back to me. Luckily, I picked up the DVDs.

My friend Gareth stayed here after attending this year's NY ComicCon, where he bought some very cool t-shirts, graphic novels, and miscellaneous Green lantern-related swag. In fact, he got so much stuff that he left the t-shirts here and I mailed them to him so he'd be able to get everything else he was carrying into his luggage for the flight back to the UK.

I used to work PhilCon, but no longer. Too much BS re: internal politics. (I have a low tolerance for that kind of ridiculousness.)

Looks like I'm the only one to vote for the Guyver series. Hmm. Cowboy Bebop never did it for me. Much prefer Neon Genesis Evangelion and Akira. Ghost in the Shell's another winner, IMO. Well, whatever you choose, enjoy it! :D
"The risk in becoming very intimate with a moldie Parvati is that she may unexpectedly become a Kali and take your head."--Rudy Rucker, Freeware
“Most men would kill the truth if truth would kill their religion.”--Lemuel K. Washburn.
JamesVincent
A Councilor of the Kabosh

Post by JamesVincent »

Parvati wrote: Ghost in the Shell's another winner, IMO. Well, whatever you choose, enjoy it! :D
Movies or Stand Alone Complex?
Disciple of the cross and champion in suffering
Immerse yourself into the kingdom of redemption
Pardon your mind through the chains of the divine
Make way, the shepherd of fire

Avenged Sevenfold "Shepherd of Fire"