Christmas Dinner

A discussion of the better things in life, including music, the arts, wine, beer, cigars, scotch, gambling the Quatloosian way, travel, sports, and many other topics. [Political and religious discussions and the like should stay off-site.]
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Christmas Dinner

Post by Demosthenes »

I'm cooking for the entire Demo family this year.

Wedge salad

Prime Rib with horseradish sauce
Sweet and tangy carrots
Shredded potato casserole
Roasted brussel sprouts with shallots
Rolls

Choice of apple pie or molten chocolate cake

What's in your oven tomorrow?
Demo.
fortinbras
Princeps Wooloosia

Re: Christmas Dinner

Post by fortinbras »

Burnaby49
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians

Post by Burnaby49 »

Peking Turkey. My two adult sons love it. I brine a boned turkey in a five-star spice and salt mix for a few days then roll it into a roast and glaze it like a Peking duck. Found the recipe in that great repository of fantastic cooking ideas, Google.
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeI-J2PhdGs
LaVidaRoja
Basileus Quatlooseus

Post by LaVidaRoja »

Simple rib roast with mashed potato casserold, petite green beans and rolls. Followed with Mincemeat pie with brandy sauce. Accompanied with a nice Bordeau.
Little boys who tell lies grow up to be weathermen.
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

We took it easy -- we simply made a large selection of hors d'oeuvres, enjoyed them in a relaxed atmosphere, and will have dessert soon. This afternoon, I'm going to enjoy one of my presents -- a 22 oz. bottle of Wormtown Brewing Company's "Be Hoppy".
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
Judge Roy Bean
Judge for the District of Quatloosia
Judge for the District of Quatloosia

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

We're taking the meat - prime rib and a smoked turkey. Everything else is up to everybody else.
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three
Prof
El Pontificator de Porceline Precepts

Post by Prof »

A simple meal -- baked ham, peas, sweet potato, rolls, with my home made apple pie -- we're at the coast house with our kids and dogs. The kids will leave soon for work and friends. We will stay another couple of days just to sip wine, walk the dogs on a cold beach, and relax. Maybe we'll head over to Corpus tomorrow for "Dragon Tattoo."

My very best to all of you and yours for the Holidays and New Year, and thank you all for the never ending, always interesting, conversations.
"My Health is Better in November."
Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

Prime rib is roasting, apple pie just baked, and I cooked up some bacon to crumble on the wedge salad. Kitchen smells so good.
Demo.
Unidyne
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Post by Unidyne »

At my aunt's house.

Chicken Marsala
Ham
Rice Pilaf
Whipped potatoes
Macaroni & Cheese
Sweet potatoes
Three bean salad

Dessert:
Butter pecan ice cream
Pear cobbler
Chocolate cake

I brought a 12 pack of Samuel Adams Boston Lager.
Irony: The Ayn Rand® Institute (ARI) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization.
Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

Tired.
Demo.
JamesVincent
A Councilor of the Kabosh

Post by JamesVincent »

Demosthenes wrote:Tired.
A great man once said, "Funny thing about a 3500 calorie dinner, I feel the overwhelming need for a nap afterwards".
Disciple of the cross and champion in suffering
Immerse yourself into the kingdom of redemption
Pardon your mind through the chains of the divine
Make way, the shepherd of fire

Avenged Sevenfold "Shepherd of Fire"
Cpt Banjo
Fretful leader of the Quat Quartet

Post by Cpt Banjo »

We hosted our whole family and had leg of lamb, garlic mashed potatoes, green beans with fried onion topping, two cabernets, and for dessert, creme brulee that our younger daughter made the night before. She has her own butane torch and taught our younger granddaughter how to carmelize the sugar topping. Sheer delight.
"Run get the pitcher, get the baby some beer." Rev. Gary Davis
JamesVincent
A Councilor of the Kabosh

Post by JamesVincent »

We had a ham and mashed potatoes. Thanks to our custody agreement I did not have the kids for Christmas this year so I was not in the mood to cook anything so one of my friends cooked that much for me. For Christmas Eve at my mothers we had turkey, stuffing, yams, green beans with bacon, a veritable cornucopia of starches in biscuits and potatoes, three different pies including pumpkin and walnut pies, a couple of different other types of desserts and chocolate chip cookies 4" across. That was a pretty filling meal just to look at.
Disciple of the cross and champion in suffering
Immerse yourself into the kingdom of redemption
Pardon your mind through the chains of the divine
Make way, the shepherd of fire

Avenged Sevenfold "Shepherd of Fire"
webhick
Illuminati Obfuscation: Black Ops Div

Post by webhick »

The last of our ferrets passed away a couple of weeks ago so Christmas wasn't exactly a happy time. But we didn't ditch the tradition of smoked ham from the local smoke shack and the homemade crescent rolls (not that crap from Pillsbury). Also used the new three cup rice cooker for the first time.
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

webhick wrote:The last of our ferrets passed away a couple of weeks ago
:(
Demo.
Cathulhu
Order of the Quatloos, Brevet First Class

Post by Cathulhu »

Demosthenes wrote:
webhick wrote:The last of our ferrets passed away a couple of weeks ago
:(
I will always treasure the memory of my spouse hanging with a ferret. She raced up to him (I'd just turned her loose while I was cleaning cages) and danced frantically at his feet. He looked at me, the official ferret-sitter, and said, "What do I do? How do you relate to a ferret?" I said, "Dance back!" So he bounces once on his toes, and she goes mad with joy. The happy ferret dance is truly a magnificent thing.

Truly sorry for your loss, Webhick.
Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to. T. Pratchett
Always be a moving target. L.M. Bujold
Pantherphil
Cannoneer
Cannoneer

Post by Pantherphil »

A perfect holiday meal with both of the children and their mates as well as a few assorted waifs and strays.
Our weekend of feasting began Saturday with scrambled eggs, locally cured bacon, and some locally baked fresh bread toasted nicely.
Christmas eve was my contribution to the cooking-- a down east Cajun spicy chicken mamou over rice with artichoke and asparagus.Not to mention a massive plate of cookies from the Church Fair and homemade molasses ginger cookies.
Christmas day went with the popular choice of prime rib.
Ours was from a locally grown grass fed steer raised by a close friend who has just gotten into natural farming. We had some excellent local potatoes from his garden mashed with onion and garlic, stuffed mushrooms, a classic green bean casserole (made with frozen beans, cheese whiz, and French's crispy onions by our most politically incorrect guest to irritate those guests who insist on natural foods), pumpkin and mince pies and home made ice cream.
I should not fail to mention that the Narramantic Island Scotch Whisky Society had on offer a Glenmorangie, a Glenlivet, a Scapa, a Jura, an Old Pulteney, a Highland Park, a Talisker, and a Bowmore so you were certain to find the right cure for what ails you.
I'll be on the bike and treadmill for a couple hours today to work some of it off.
rogfulton
Caveat Venditor
Location: No longer behind the satellite dish, second door along - in fact, not even in the same building.

Post by rogfulton »

Green salad with homemade (by me) vinaigrette
cranberry gelatin salad
Mom boiled a ham (literally, unfortunately) that Dad had deboned.
Green bean casserole (Mrs. Rog made one, family member made one)
Asparagus risotto
roasted sweet potatoes (none of that damn marshmallow crap)
from-scratch dinner rolls (I made)
blackberry pie
rhubarb/strawberry pie
Flan (we heard my nephew was back from working the fields of California and it's his favorite)
Our sis-in-law made an Ambrosia kind of thing with whipped cream and jello and other things but I don't know what it's really called

We had our get together Monday (Saturday was for my Mother-in-law)

The only leftovers were the salads and deserts, Mom took what was left of the ham home, as usual.
"No man is above the law and no man is below it; nor do we ask any man's permission when we require him to obey it. Obedience to the law is demanded as a right; not asked as a favor."
- President Theodore Roosevelt