gaming widow

A discussion of the better things in life, including music, the arts, wine, beer, cigars, scotch, gambling the Quatloosian way, travel, sports, and many other topics. [Political and religious discussions and the like should stay off-site.]
Cathulhu
Order of the Quatloos, Brevet First Class

gaming widow

Post by Cathulhu »

The spouse's new alienware boutique gaming computer arrived yesterday, and at 70+ pounds for the crate I'm really glad the nice man from UPS put it indoors for me. He even turned down a tip! Must say the delivery driver here is a total sweetheart. He'll be back today with the new flatscreen, and I've got a plate of cookies waiting to offer.

It looks like the bastard child of Darth Vader and a toaster, and I foresee some weeks of gaming widowhood. I'm wondering if he'll notice if I take a road trip now. I'd go on a cruise, but as you know, I've already been shipwrecked once, and am not eager to repeat the experience. (I can't even watch The Titanic.) Suggestions, anyone? My passport is up to date.
Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to. T. Pratchett
Always be a moving target. L.M. Bujold
Burzmali
Exalted Guardian of the Gilded Quatloos

Re: gaming widow

Post by Burzmali »

CaptainKickback wrote: BTW - those Alienware rigs are super-boss. They have a big gaming tent close to San Diego Comic-Con every year and all the gaming fanbois crowd into it.
Well, they were boss then Dell bought them, now they are profiable ;)
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

CaptainKickback wrote:Then maybe slip over to Redondo Beach for some Moosehead beer and poutine, eh?
Redondo Beach sounds like the headquarters for Quebec Snowbirds, West.
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
Cathulhu

Post by Cathulhu »

Moosehead and poutine are not that hard to find here--but I gotta admit, it's been twenty years since I last used my standing invitation to drop in on a LASFS meeting. The Los Angeles Science Fiction Society includes some great folks, and I've always had a really good time hanging out with them. Hmmm.
Cathulhu

Post by Cathulhu »

CK, if I make it, you're buying me a drink! Norwescon is around end of March, and I occasionally show up and hold court in the bar off the mezzanine.
Cathulhu

Post by Cathulhu »

He just booted up the new system for the first time. If I dyed my hair purple this time, he'd fail to notice. If I did hit the road now, my fishtank inhabitants would starve to death. At least the cats raise hell when they run low on food.
Brandybuck

Post by Brandybuck »

Cathulhu wrote: If I dyed my hair purple this time, he'd fail to notice.
I would notice. Every since I watched Gerry Anderson's "UFO" series as a kid, I've had a thing for women with purple hair.
Cathulhu

Post by Cathulhu »

Ever since Aunt Dorothy dyed hers purple in 1960, I've wanted to. Family tradition, y'know. I went blue last August, and enjoyed it thoroughly. Still have a subtle navy highlight, which will blend nicely with a good magenta...

When one is blessed with copious amounts of dark hair, and it finally goes salt and pepper on you, then dying blue without bleaching out the natural color produces a deep black with seriously blue highlights where the gray was. It tends to simply look black in indoor light, then lights up like a blue torch when you step into sunlight or under a strong lamp. Add a nice blue pedicure and you're ready to blow away the beach crowd. One very poetic soul compared it to the night sky...
Cathulhu

Post by Cathulhu »

CaptainKickback wrote:
Cathulhu wrote:He just booted up the new system for the first time. If I dyed my hair purple this time, he'd fail to notice. If I did hit the road now, my fishtank inhabitants would starve to death. At least the cats raise hell when they run low on food.
You only really need to worry if he starts caressing it in an overly friendly manner and whispering sweet nothings to it while doing so.
Cap'n, there was a time when I was peacefully watching television (the main computer den is just off the great room) and he was playing a strip poker program--and suddenly came racing out of the den stark naked, yelling, "I lost!"

I fear we are far beyond sweet nothings. :roll:
Brandybuck

Post by Brandybuck »

That reminds me of the classic Willie Nelson song:
In the taillight's glow I seen her
Blue Hair Driving in My lane....
When she hit me and departed,
I knew they'd be no insurance claim....
From the towtruck I'll remember