Wireless headphones for kids

A discussion of the better things in life, including music, the arts, wine, beer, cigars, scotch, gambling the Quatloosian way, travel, sports, and many other topics. [Political and religious discussions and the like should stay off-site.]
Kestrel
Endangerer of Stupid Species

Re: Wireless headphones for kids

Post by Kestrel »

Simple. Buy the set for the adults, and a package of Transformer or Hello Kitty stickers.

Apply stickers. Hand to kids. Problem solved.
"Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." - Robert Heinlein
Kestrel

Post by Kestrel »

Solution #2: Books. The original entertainment medium. TV is available only when Dad says so.

Seriously. Your TV, your remote control, your house rules. They don't like it? It's a life lesson.

Solution #3: Buy 15 dollar coins and toss them into the back yard. Tell them you threw 20.
"Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." - Robert Heinlein
Kestrel

Post by Kestrel »

Amazon has a few kids' wireless headphones designed for use with car video systems. Now that's a use I could almost agree with.

But my siblings and my kids managed to survive without them. Find 50 states' license plates, count the cows, travel sized board games, and other traditional car games taught us how to survive in cramped spaces without killing each other.
Burzmali
Exalted Guardian of the Gilded Quatloos

Post by Burzmali »

Kestrel wrote:Amazon has a few kids' wireless headphones designed for use with car video systems. Now that's a use I could almost agree with.

But my siblings and my kids managed to survive without them. Find 50 states' license plates, count the cows, travel sized board games, and other traditional car games taught us how to survive in cramped spaces without killing each other.
Humanity once flourished without indoor plumbing, though I doubt that anyone would argue that that is preferable to our current accommodations. This "if it was good enough for me, it's good enough for them" mindset is probably why we are still educating children the same way that Aristotle did :roll:
Kestrel

Post by Kestrel »

Burzmali wrote:Humanity once flourished without indoor plumbing, though I doubt that anyone would argue that that is preferable to our current accommodations. This "if it was good enough for me, it's good enough for them" mindset is probably why we are still educating children the same way that Aristotle did :roll:
Indoor plumbing benefitted adults and children alike.

A Dad wants the kids to be ready to deal with the world. Kids think about themselves first. Dad thinks about the whole family. That means taking a firm stand as a Dad, letting the kids know you are firm but fair, and "fair" means they often have to give in whether they like it or not.

That's called character building. Ask any football coach.
Cathulhu
Order of the Quatloos, Brevet First Class

Post by Cathulhu »

When Game Boy and others came out, we had a couple Sega game gear units here, and learned quickly with the nieces and nephew that they really promoted peace and quiet on the 200 mile drives. Even a little mild electronic tootling beats hearing "she touched me!" or "are we there yet?"
Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to. T. Pratchett
Always be a moving target. L.M. Bujold