Mega Millions Jackpot

A discussion of the better things in life, including music, the arts, wine, beer, cigars, scotch, gambling the Quatloosian way, travel, sports, and many other topics. [Political and religious discussions and the like should stay off-site.]
Doktor Avalanche
Asst Secretary, the Dept of Jesters

Mega Millions Jackpot

Post by Doktor Avalanche »

The Mega Millions jackpot currently stands at $640 million and it occurs to me that there's enough money in the pot right now to give every man, woman and child in the United States a check for $2.

EDIT: Not $2 million. That's the last time I use this calculator.

<chucks it in the trash>

But that's still a lot of money, folks.
The laissez-faire argument relies on the same tacit appeal to perfection as does communism. - George Soros
Number Six
Hereditary Margrave of Mooloosia

Re: Mega Millions Jackpot

Post by Number Six »

If I were in the running to win, which I'm not, and I won the pot I would change my name and move to northern New Hampshire where I would be among similar people. 8) When I have bought one of those tickets a couple of times crazy thoughts go through my noggin about God wanting to entrust me with all that money so I can help people, and I hear others quoted in the media today with that line of thinking about "what they would do" if they won. Stay tuned; re-visit the winner a few years later and see if all that money made their situation and those around them happy. Remember that Twilight Zone episode where the street thug dies and thinks he has gone to heaven and has a personal servant 24/7 with all the babes, gambling good luck and other goodies a fellah could ever want? At the end he finds out he was sadly mistaken... :twisted:
'There are two kinds of injustice: the first is found in those who do an injury, the second in those who fail to protect another from injury when they can.' (Roman. Cicero, De Off. I. vii)

'Choose loss rather than shameful gains.' (Chilon Fr. 10. Diels)
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

I would generally follow Lawdog's approach, except that I'm still married and plan to stay that way, don't have any siblings or surviving parents,and would probably go for a nice condo or ranch house somewhere. My wife and I would also set up a foundation; and those allocations within my discretion would go towards capital improvements at Scout camps in my council and up in Quebec, and to fund a program which promotes outdoor skills among Girl Scouts (almost a lost art among them). I probably wouldn't quit my job right away; but when I did, I'd probably volunteer for my local Boy Scout councils.

The Dana-Farber Cancer Institute would benefit nicely, by our mutual choice.
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
fortinbras
Princeps Wooloosia

Post by fortinbras »

My wife and I bought several tickets. We need to win because we've already spent the money.
JamesVincent
A Councilor of the Kabosh

Post by JamesVincent »

I went out and bought several tickets. If I win I would buy several hundred acres somewhere, preferably Montana and build myself a nice compound where me and the kids can have a good life and a separate place for my mother. And definitely a guest house for my niece and nephew to come visit. Wounded Warrior would definitely get an upgrade and I drew up the plans for a non-profit years ago that would be first on disaster scenes to help clear roads and bring in water faster then the Red Cross can even make get their trucks started. I would love to see that through before I kick off. Did I mention the 20 car garage inside the compound? I like cars...
Disciple of the cross and champion in suffering
Immerse yourself into the kingdom of redemption
Pardon your mind through the chains of the divine
Make way, the shepherd of fire

Avenged Sevenfold "Shepherd of Fire"
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Post by Demosthenes »

Didn't buy a ticket but would have bought a private island.
Demo.
Kestrel
Endangerer of Stupid Species

Post by Kestrel »

Instead of looking for a new job at a good company I'd buy the company myself.
"Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." - Robert Heinlein
Unidyne
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Post by Unidyne »

A "gansta" rapper was asked what someone should do if they suddenly hit it big. His suggestions:

1) Get a good lawyer.
2) Get a good accountant.
3) Get a better lawyer to watch both of them.
Irony: The Ayn Rand® Institute (ARI) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization.
Burzmali
Exalted Guardian of the Gilded Quatloos

Post by Burzmali »

I've never been a fan, in the long run, the ones that benefit are the government and the scammers that bilk naive winners of their winnings. When dealing with someone that landing $100 million, even if a scammer spends a year working on you and only manages to swipe 1% of your winnings, he's well into the black.