England and Wales

A discussion of the better things in life, including music, the arts, wine, beer, cigars, scotch, gambling the Quatloosian way, travel, sports, and many other topics. [Political and religious discussions and the like should stay off-site.]
The Dog
First Mate
First Mate

Re: England and Wales

Post by The Dog »

Burnaby49 wrote:There are serious delays at immigration at Heathrow, so I would suggest using another airport if possible.

I prefer Manchester or Gatwick. Gatwick has reasonably priced trains running directly from the terminal to downtown london. The best deal when I was there last was First capital Connect to St Pancras station. Last I checked the London Express to Victoria Station was considerably more expensive. However, if you are finicky, Gatwick is a dump and can have customs issues, particularly now in the Olympic period.
Manchester is a bit remote if you are planning to visit Bath/the Cotswolds (though very convenient for Bury - there are worse places). If arriving at Gatwick and want to avoid London, there is a direct train to Reading, from which there are trains to Bath or Oxford.
Quidnunc
Stowaway
Stowaway

Post by Quidnunc »

I personally really enjoyed Chester. Small town, medieval walls, nice Roman ruins, covered shopping arcades. Good for a two day visit. Oxford was also nice, good for a few days.
rumpelstilzchen
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Post by rumpelstilzchen »

If you are starting from London, although technically not en route surely Cambridge is a must see? It's about an hour and a half from Heathrow.
Then Moreton-in-Marsh, Stow-on-the-Wold, Bourton-on-the-Water, Burford and Oxford
I would advise you to rent a car.
The architecture in Bath is beautiful. If you are going to go to Wells in Somerset once you've got that far I always think it's madness not to go the whole hog and get yourself down to Cornwall. Somewhere like Fowey (pronounced Foy) will blow you away. Then there's Mevagissey, Port Isaac...
You sure you can only spare eight days?
BHF wrote:
It shows your mentality to think someone would make the effort to post something on the internet that was untrue.
Burnaby49
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians

Post by Burnaby49 »

rumpelstilzchen wrote:If you are starting from London, although technically not en route surely Cambridge is a must see? It's about an hour and a half from Heathrow.
Then Moreton-in-Marsh, Stow-on-the-Wold, Bourton-on-the-Water, Burford and Oxford
I would advise you to rent a car.
The architecture in Bath is beautiful. If you are going to go to Wells in Somerset once you've got that far I always think it's madness not to go the whole hog and get yourself down to Cornwall. Somewhere like Fowey (pronounced Foy) will blow you away. Then there's Mevagissey, Port Isaac...
You sure you can only spare eight days?
Been there, done that. I actually stayed the night at Stow-on-the-Wold and visited Bourton-on-the-Water(flagrant abuse of hyphens here) twice. My opinion? Potemkin villages. Quintessential Cotswald villages and, because of this, about as real as Disneyland.
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeI-J2PhdGs
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Post by wserra »

Burnaby49 wrote:Potemkin villages.
Nice reference. Haven't thought of 'em since that font of wisdom, Blazing Saddles.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
The Dog
First Mate
First Mate

Post by The Dog »

I've just noticed that the long-awaited plans to redevelop visitors' facilities at Stonehenge are starting.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/trave ... begin.html
http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/days ... our-plans/

Stonehenge will remain open during the period, but there is likely to be building work.
Burnaby49

Post by Burnaby49 »

wserra wrote:
Burnaby49 wrote:Potemkin villages.
Nice reference. Haven't thought of 'em since that font of wisdom, Blazing Saddles.
I recently read the Robert Massie biography of Catherine the Great. Grigory Potemkin plays a large part in it. Highly recommended. His biography of Peter the Great is even better. Of course Potemkin's fake villages can't be compared to the concept of tollbooths for bushwackers and thieves.

"The Petomane Throughway? Now what will that a****le think of next? Has anybody got a dime? Somebody's got to go back and get a s***load of dimes."

Sheer genius.
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeI-J2PhdGs
Prof
El Pontificator de Porceline Precepts

Post by Prof »

Thank all of you for your advice. Mrs. Prof and I had a great trip. We rented a car, saw Cambridge, Keswick, Conwy (Wales), Chipping Camden, Wells and Bath, along with the surrounding countryside at each and in between. We wound up on London for two nights and went to Westminter and Westminster Abbey (for Evensong), spending our last full day at the British Library and the British Museum. While there was rain almost everywhere, we had raincoats.

Most memorable single sight: We had gone from Keswick to Windermere (Lake District). We were walking along the Windermere, when, roaring in from the South, came two WWII Spitfires, about 500 feet above the water. As CKB would say, "Cool!"

One observation: The English treat speed limits as polite suggestions, more ignored than obeyed!
"My Health is Better in November."