The Light At The End Of The Tunnel

A discussion of the better things in life, including music, the arts, wine, beer, cigars, scotch, gambling the Quatloosian way, travel, sports, and many other topics. [Political and religious discussions and the like should stay off-site.]
Doktor Avalanche
Asst Secretary, the Dept of Jesters

The Light At The End Of The Tunnel

Post by Doktor Avalanche »

On April 27, 2011 I found myself in Indonesia getting married, as you probably all remember.

Well, I had to come home to start the paperwork to get her over here. CIS rules state that I couldn't start the process there so, for the last 14 (going on 15) months, my wife and I have been apart as I wasn't able to get the time or the money to go back to Indonesia and visit with her.

We haven't been together all this time and the only contact I've had where I actually see her face is through a very wonky connection via Skype.

Everything I made from my job was poured into the paperwork, putting aside money for her plane ticket, medical, transportation to the consulate in Jakarta for her interview and having to support her.

I am happy to report that finally, at long last, she is 23 days from coming home. All that has to happen is her interview and medical screen. :mrgreen:
The laissez-faire argument relies on the same tacit appeal to perfection as does communism. - George Soros
Burzmali
Exalted Guardian of the Gilded Quatloos

Re: The Light At The End Of The Tunnel

Post by Burzmali »

Congrats!
And to think, 14/15 months of heavy paperwork is the minimum wait for a green card when there is virtually no reason a green card would not be issued for (non-medical) reasons that aren't caught by the process you go through in applying for a job :wink:
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

Perhaps it would have taken less time if he had adopted his wife instead of marrying her.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
Burzmali
Exalted Guardian of the Gilded Quatloos

Post by Burzmali »

The Observer wrote:Perhaps it would have taken less time if he had adopted his wife instead of marrying her.
Actually, based on the experience of my wife's coworker, I'm not sure if that is true. :(
Prof
El Pontificator de Porceline Precepts

Post by Prof »

Best wishes and congratulations.
"My Health is Better in November."
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

Burzmali wrote:Actually, based on the experience of my wife's coworker, I'm not sure if that is true.
Most likely not. My cousin married a woman in the Phillippines who had several kids from a previous marriage. It was easier for him to get his wife into the country legally, but the kids' immigration was a nightmare and lasted for a couple of years, despite the fact that he had legally adopted them. It required a lot of pressure, including local media and getting the congressman in their district to get involved.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
Doktor Avalanche

The Observer wrote:Perhaps it would have taken less time if he had adopted his wife instead of marrying her.
Believe me, I thought of that. Even thought of bringing her over here on a H1B.
CaptainKickback wrote: Too Woody Allen-ish. :|
Damn! I was gonna say that!
The laissez-faire argument relies on the same tacit appeal to perfection as does communism. - George Soros
Mr. Mephistopheles
Faustus Quatlus

Post by Mr. Mephistopheles »

That's great news!
Doktor Avalanche

Mr. Mephistopheles wrote:That's great news!
It is, indeed.

Tell you what - if this marriage doesn't work out I'm going domestic the next time around. I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy. :lol:
webhick
Illuminati Obfuscation: Black Ops Div

Post by webhick »

Doktor Avalanche wrote:Tell you what - if this marriage doesn't work out I'm going domestic the next time around. I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy. :lol:
Yous should throw a big party when she comes home. And you should get a big cake that says "If this marriage doesn't work out, I'm going domestic next time." Then it'll another 15 months before you get any nookie.

Congrats you sexless beast!
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
Doktor Avalanche

webhick wrote:
Yous should throw a big party when she comes home. And you should get a big cake that says "If this marriage doesn't work out, I'm going domestic next time." Then it'll another 15 months before you get any nookie.

Says you! My wife has said the same thing on numerous occasions.

Why do you think I married her?
webhick
Illuminati Obfuscation: Black Ops Div

Post by webhick »

Doktor Avalanche wrote:
webhick wrote:

Says you! My wife has said the same thing on numerous occasions.
Gotta love a woman who calls her husband a sexless beast.
Why do you think I married her?
Well, you're clearly a masochist. But we're not here to judge.
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
Judge Roy Bean
Judge for the District of Quatloosia
Judge for the District of Quatloosia

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

Doktor Avalanche wrote:
Mr. Mephistopheles wrote:That's great news!
It is, indeed.

Tell you what - if this marriage doesn't work out I'm going domestic the next time around. I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy. :lol:
Next time around :shock: have her brought in from Mexico. :oops:
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three
Doktor Avalanche

I have to say the immigration process sucks. With a capital S. Big time Hooverism.

This cannot be the best we can do.