Think I may be coming to Manhattan

A discussion of the better things in life, including music, the arts, wine, beer, cigars, scotch, gambling the Quatloosian way, travel, sports, and many other topics. [Political and religious discussions and the like should stay off-site.]
ashlynne39
Illuminated Legate of Illustrious Legs

Re: Think I may be coming to Manhattan

Post by ashlynne39 »

Gregg wrote:
ashlynne39 wrote:
Gregg wrote:Oh, and if anyone else wants to go, tickets go on sale October 10th.

http://www.carnegiehall.org/Calendar/20 ... g-Concert/
If you're buying . . . I'm in. :D

I love New York. I took my niece several years ago for her 16th birthday. Sadly we missed the Strand and the Cloisters. Two places I wasn't aware of at the time but wish I had been. We stayed in a Boutique hotel in Midtown. I wish I could remember the name because we loved it. We also took cabs almost everywhere because I did not want to mess with the subway - so we did spend a bunch of unnecessary money on that. We had a lot of fun though and I would go back in a heartbeat.

I intend to buy 2 tickets, and as of yet one is not spoken for, so if you're serious, I guess I'm buying. I offered to take someone we all know but apparently not everyone is so unencumbered as to blow off Thanksgiving weekend on a lark.

I think I'll drive up from Gettysburg on Friday, stay at a hotel and sight see just for the day before the concert, I may stay Saturday night but more than likely I'll be heading back after the show. Driving in the wee hours is something I often do and I'll only need to get back to Cincinnati by Monday. I would Wes, be glad to have a drink or dinner Saturday if you'll be in town, and anyone else. How hard is it to get into 21? Failing that, where can a guy get a decent steak wearing a hockey jersey? (I'd dress for some places, if someone has one, but if I had my druthers I'll be #17 on the '78 Stingers)
My real dilemma is which car to drive. The only practical choices are the Mustang and the Escape, the Mustang obviously I'm loathe to risk getting caught on the wrong side of the mountains with in winter, let's just say it's not a good car in the snow. The Escape is perfect for the winter, but it's a lease and pretty much stays in Cincinnati full time, I'd be using 2 months worth of miles to take it. If it was summer, I'd fly to Gettysburg and take the roadster but again, a car with no roof isn't something you take on long range trips in November in the northeast... If I can get a good feeling about the weather, I'll bring the Boss, if there's any chance of snow (and this is something I need to know 5-6 days in advance) it'll be the Escape.

So, for now, I need to find a place to stay outside Manhattan Friday night with an option for Saturday. Howz about I stay at a hotel by the airport and take a shuttle into town?
I'm spitballing here.

And I know that some people in New York think anyone who has never been there is some rube who will more than likely get hit by a bus, but I have lived in Boston and London so I do know how to survive in the big city. (and London is really hard to make the first few days in until you learn to look the other way when you cross the street. Seriously)
Boston is in fact why I know better than to take a car into New York. I was a pizza delivery boy (on a bicycle no less!) and when people asked me directions how to get out of Boston I started with "First, sell or abandon you car..."

:mrgreen:
If I were within driving distance of New York, I absolutely would be in. For that matter, for an excuse to make a trip to New York I'd almost consider flying up.
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

So this is an excuse. Do your holiday shopping.
Okay, back to arrangements. How practical is driving into Newark Airport for the night and getting up in the morning getting public transportation into Manhattan?

Better or easier than JFK?
Supreme Commander of The Imperial Illuminati Air Force
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

Current plan

Drive Friday to Newark Airport, park in off site lot there $15
Take Airtrain/NJRail to Penn Station NY $12.50
Stay Friday, Saturday night at Penn Hotel $500
in and out of NYC and only taking a carry on across the street and to/from car at airport

Priceless

So, anyone see any flaws in this plan? And do I have to smuggle in my 44 Oz Super Big Gulp Mt Dew?
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Post by wserra »

I'm around all Thanksgiving weekend, so either Friday or Saturday I'm there. Anybody else in town either night? Earlier rather than later is OK, too.

If we want to stay in the area of midtown Manhattan, and want both good beer and good food, the Heartland Brewery is hard to beat. A few (3 or 4 IIRC) locations in mid and lower Manhattan.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
webhick
Illuminati Obfuscation: Black Ops Div

Post by webhick »

So, let's say that hypothetically, I'll be in NY on the 24th. Suppose that during this scenario, my plane will be coming in at LaGuardia around 5PMish and I need to get to Penn Station.

Any suggestions on how to do that quickly and inexpensively?
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

webhick wrote:Any suggestions on how to do that quickly and inexpensively?
Good gravy, woman, you threw that question out there in open for anyone to answer? I can only imagine how Kickback is going to answer that question.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
webhick

Post by webhick »

The Observer wrote:
webhick wrote:Any suggestions on how to do that quickly and inexpensively?
Good gravy, woman, you threw that question out there in open for anyone to answer? I can only imagine how Kickback is going to answer that question.
Oh, I know how he's going to answer. Six paragraphs which amount to: "The subway and don't look like a yokel who's prime for a mugging."
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
webhick

Post by webhick »

So, I'm up on HopStop and I gotta tell you, the NY transit system is hilarious. Walk from the airport to the bus stop, board the bus, get off the bus and walk a bit more, take the train, get off the train and walk a bit, take a different train. 55 minutes total time. All to travel 8 miles. 8 MILES! And I bet that's easier than most of what people do there daily.

Do you need to pass some kind of IQ test to get a metro card or do the locals like to laugh at the rubes trying to figure out this mess?

ETA: Wait, I had HopStop set to a Wednesday. When I set it to a Saturday, it's like one bus and one train and a bit of walking.
ashlynne39
Illuminated Legate of Illustrious Legs

Post by ashlynne39 »

webhick wrote:So, let's say that hypothetically, I'll be in NY on the 24th. Suppose that during this scenario, my plane will be coming in at LaGuardia around 5PMish and I need to get to Penn Station.

Any suggestions on how to do that quickly and inexpensively?
You can likely pre-schedule an airport to city van ride fairly inexpensively and very stress free. On my last two NY trips that is what I've done from La Guardia to my hotel and I want to say sharing a van into the city was like $10 which I think is really cheap. I don't know what a cab would be but I assume more than that. Honestly, I would pay any amount rather than take a bus or subway. I have no issues with the underground or transit in Tokyo, Europe and London but something about the NY subway makes me want to avoid it at all costs. I'm also just used to driving everywhere I go so mass transit seems so weird to me.
Lambkin
Warder of the Quatloosian Gibbet

Post by Lambkin »

My suggestions are:

1. New York Historical Society http://www.nyhistory.org/

2. Ellis Island (especially if you have immigrant ancestors) http://www.nps.gov/elis/index.htm

3. Walk across the Brooklyn Bridge to Manhattan

4. The Cloisters http://www.metmuseum.org/about-the-muse ... nd-gardens
Lambkin
Warder of the Quatloosian Gibbet

Post by Lambkin »

Forgot to mention, if you go to the Cloisters, you should include a few hours in Van Cortlandt Park (http://www.nycgovparks.org/parks/VanCortlandtPark).

And of course, watch The Warriors (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080120/) before any trip to New York.
wserra

Post by wserra »

ashlynne39 wrote:You can likely pre-schedule an airport to city van ride fairly inexpensively and very stress free.
Yep. The Port Authority has a site with some details. To answer ashlynne's question, it's generally much cheaper than a cab.

webhick - is that the 24th of October, and how hypothetical is it?

Gregg - Friday or Saturday of Thanksgiving weekend? We have old friends coming in from out of town, but I'd certainly run into midtown for dinner and a couple of beers.
Honestly, I would pay any amount rather than take a bus or subway.
Subways in NYC are fast (often faster than cars, especially in Manhattan), cheap, clean and generally safe. If you haven't ridden them in the last few years, your mental picture is out-of-date. Busses in NYC are really slow, due to the abominable traffic.
- David Hume
Pirate Purveyor of the Last Word

Post by . »

Wes wrote:Subways in NYC are fast (...) cheap, clean and generally safe.
Ah, memories. Was in NY in '65 for the World's Fair, 13 years old. Had all the maps and rode around on the BMT, IRT and IND for hours all over the city with my little brother. Never saw anything nasty other than the odd bum or wino.

Parents didn't think twice about letting us go off on our own. Fare was 10 or 15 cents. Never saw a fare-jumper. There was a station in the basement of the George Washington Hotel (not sure if it still exists,) at the Brooklyn end of the Brooklyn bridge, so it was easy to hop on and go exploring.

In the '70s or '80s we'd have probably been abducted or molested and my parents prosecuted for neglect. Since the mid-'90s, the crime and griffiti are gone again. I guess Rudy gets at least some credit for that. Regardless of who gets credit, it's good that the subway system is back to being more like what it was pre-70's.
All the States incorporated daughter corporations for transaction of business in the 1960s or so. - Some voice in Van Pelt's head, circa 2006.
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

Wes,

I'm getting in some time Friday night, Webhick is coming on Saturday, so probably Saturday night dinner around 5-6 would be good for all three of us (and if it happens, advance notice to explain the dark clouds and Ghostbuster effects over Manhattan that night). The show is at 8 at Carnegie Hall, so somewhere between there and Penn Station.

Of course, anyone else who wants to come....
webhick

Post by webhick »

Gregg wrote:Wes,

I'm getting in some time Friday night, Webhick is coming on Saturday, so probably Saturday night dinner around 5-6 would be good for all three of us (and if it happens, advance notice to explain the dark clouds and Ghostbuster effects over Manhattan that night). The show is at 8 at Carnegie Hall, so somewhere between there and Penn Station.

Plane doesn't touch down until 4:10p and the Q33 to the 7 to Penn Station will take about an hour. I don't have to stop at Penn to drop off my bag, so long as the restaurant doesn't mind a backpack, so we can always meet at the restaurant.
webhick

Post by webhick »

Incidentally, I have a one-hour layover in Boston on Nov 25th at about 1:20pm. I may choose to use this time to draft a few conspiracies at the Federal Reserve Tower.
wserra

Post by wserra »

Gregg wrote:I'm getting in some time Friday night, Webhick is coming on Saturday, so probably Saturday night dinner around 5-6 would be good for all three of us
Sounds good to me. As to webhick, see below.
The show is at 8 at Carnegie Hall, so somewhere between there and Penn Station.
Carnegie Hall: 57th and Seventh. Penn Station: 34th and Seventh. Heartland Brewery: 41st and Eighth. There are, of course, plenty of other spots in Midtown West. I just really like Heartland (although I haven't been to that one).
Absolutely.
webhick wrote:Plane doesn't touch down until 4:10p and the Q33 to the 7 to Penn Station will take about an hour.
Even if your plane is on time, you won't get out of the terminal until 4:30. The Q33 runs every 10 minutes, and takes about 25 minutes to get to the 7 train at Roosevelt Ave. Call it .5 hour. The 7 train also runs about every ten minutes, and takes about .5 hour to get to Times Square (a couple of blocks from the Heartland). All things considered, arrive about 6 if everything is on time. 41st and Eighth is probably only a 10 minute cab ride from Carnegie Hall.

6:00 seems about right.
- David Hume
Mr. Mephistopheles
Faustus Quatlus

Post by Mr. Mephistopheles »

You guys (and gal!) are really making me miss NYC. Haven't been there in years.
wserra

Post by wserra »

Mr. Mephistopheles wrote:You guys (and gal!) are really making me miss NYC. Haven't been there in years.
Therefore . . .
- David Hume
Mr. Mephistopheles
Faustus Quatlus

Post by Mr. Mephistopheles »

wserra wrote:
Mr. Mephistopheles wrote:You guys (and gal!) are really making me miss NYC. Haven't been there in years.
Therefore . . .
It sounds like a great time but I'd have a hard time convincing Mrs. M to accept I'm going to abandon her with a house full of guests that week. Someday again, I especially like it during the holiday times. I have some very dear friends on the Upper West side that need visited but unfortunately time and logistics won't permit that just now. -sigh-