Think I may be coming to Manhattan

A discussion of the better things in life, including music, the arts, wine, beer, cigars, scotch, gambling the Quatloosian way, travel, sports, and many other topics. [Political and religious discussions and the like should stay off-site.]
webhick
Illuminati Obfuscation: Black Ops Div

Re: Think I may be coming to Manhattan

Post by webhick »

6ish at Heartland sounds good to me. When I get there, should I ask for the Illuminati table?
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

Just look for me in the bright yellow and black Cincinnati Stingers Hockey Jersey, #17, a tribute to Steve Carlson, one of the Hanson Brothers from the movie "Slap Shot"

(incidently, all three of the Hanson Brothers were in fact professional hockey players who all eventually made it to the NHL, and of course, the WHA)
Supreme Commander of The Imperial Illuminati Air Force
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.
ArthurWankspittle
Slavering Minister of Auto-erotic Insinuation

Post by ArthurWankspittle »

CaptainKickback wrote:
webhick wrote:6ish at Heartland sounds good to me. When I get there, should I ask for the Illuminati table?
No, the table will ask for you. You will not know it is asking for you, but you will know it is asking for you - it is a variant of a trait that all true Illuminati have.
Can't wait to book a table myself, so the Maitre'd can announce "Table for Wankspittle".
"There is something about true madness that goes beyond mere eccentricity." Will Self
Arthur Rubin
Tupa-O-Quatloosia

Post by Arthur Rubin »

Moved to "Good Life" forum.
Arthur Rubin, unemployed tax preparer and aerospace engineer
ImageJoin the Blue Ribbon Online Free Speech Campaign!

Butterflies are free. T-shirts are $19.95 $24.95 $29.95
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Post by wserra »

Saturday, Nov. 24, around 6 at the Heartland at 41st and Eighth. Sounds like a plan.

As I wrote earlier, I've been to two other Heartlands (mainly the one at the South Street Seaport), but not that one. I feel I owe it to my colleagues here to check it out while there is still time to make alternate plans. I'll go with a couple of like-minded friends and report.

Ah, the things I do for Quatloos.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
webhick

Post by webhick »

wserra wrote:Saturday, Nov. 24, around 6 at the Heartland at 41st and Eighth. Sounds like a plan.
Sounds good. Since I'll be hopping on the plane right after work, I will be wearing all black. Unless my fat ass can figure out how to change in an airplane bathroom. I remember how smal those are...maybe I'll just take a nap instead.
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

webhick wrote:
wserra wrote:Saturday, Nov. 24, around 6 at the Heartland at 41st and Eighth. Sounds like a plan.
Sounds good. Since I'll be hopping on the plane right after work, I will be wearing all black. Unless my fat ass can figure out how to change in an airplane bathroom. I remember how small those are...maybe I'll just take a nap instead.
You COULD do a table dance and change in the restaurant... peripheral benefits include

1) would fix your perceived wardrobe deficiency
2) assure better service
3) do you know what kind of tips girls make? You may pay for the trip in an hour.
4) keep Wes and I from looking like a middle aged gay couple going to see the daughter one has from a former marriage for the holiday

See, every cloud has a silver lining!
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.
webhick

Post by webhick »

Gregg wrote:
webhick wrote:
Sounds good. Since I'll be hopping on the plane right after work, I will be wearing all black. Unless my fat ass can figure out how to change in an airplane bathroom. I remember how small those are...maybe I'll just take a nap instead.
You COULD do a table dance and change in the restaurant... peripheral benefits include

1) would fix your perceived wardrobe deficiency
2) assure better service
3) do you know what kind of tips girls make? You may pay for the trip in an hour.
4) keep Wes and I from looking like a middle aged gay couple going to see the daughter one has from a former marriage for the holiday

See, every cloud has a silver lining!
1. And cause another wardrobe deficiency.
2. Assure shitty service
3. Make no tips.
4. You two are going to look like that no matter what you do.

And for that, I think I will call you both "Dad" for the duration of the meal.
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

Sometimes I ask for it, and sometimes I get down on my knees and beg... sorry I dragged you into my mess, Wes... :mrgreen:

On a serious note, you cannot fathom how much I'm looking forward to the weekend.
webhick

Post by webhick »

Gregg wrote:On a serious note, you cannot fathom how much I'm looking forward to the weekend.
Me too. It's gonna be awesome!
Cathulhu
Order of the Quatloos, Brevet First Class

Post by Cathulhu »

webhick wrote:
Gregg wrote:On a serious note, you cannot fathom how much I'm looking forward to the weekend.
So, does Gregg wake up in the gutter on Monday with a hangover and a tattoo of the Chevy logo? :mrgreen:
Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to. T. Pratchett
Always be a moving target. L.M. Bujold
webhick

Post by webhick »

Cathulhu wrote:
webhick wrote:
So, does Gregg wake up in the gutter on Monday with a hangover and a tattoo of the Chevy logo? :mrgreen:
I was thinking of distributing photos of him doing deviant things with a Peel P50.
wserra

Post by wserra »

Awright, Saturday!

I intended to scope out the Heartland at 41st and 8th, but never made it. I like the one at the South Street Seaport a lot, and am assuming they are similar. I do tend to distrust things (especially chains) around Times Square - expensive and touristy - but am hoping that one Heartland is like another.

A more New York but less convenient alternative: the Hell's Kitchen Pony Bar, 45th and 10th. A place where they are serious about American craft beer (real time draft list on web site). Decent bar food too. Last there a couple of years ago.

But the Pony Bar is a less convenient than Heartland. Those blocks (8th-9th-10th) are long, and the farthest west train is 8th Ave. If they were sitting next to each other, I'd go to Pony, but they're not. Especially for those traveling to/from other spots that evening, Heartland is more convenient.

Up to you guys.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

I would say stick with the original plan, especially if the distance is as great as you say. At worst, I would assume that the service at a chain in the Times Square area might be suspect, but that at least the potables would be the same as any other of their sites. Besides, the company will be superb, no?
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
Burnaby49
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians

Post by Burnaby49 »

And here on the west coast we socialize on a smaller scale, Cathulhu and I meeting for a beer and fries at a Tacoma pub. Great chicken wings too!
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeI-J2PhdGs
obadiah
Pirate
Pirate

Post by obadiah »

Burnaby49 wrote:And here on the west coast we socialize on a smaller scale, Cathulhu and I meeting for a beer and fries at a Tacoma pub. Great chicken wings too!
Harmons?
1. There is a kind of law that I like, which are my own rules, which I call common law. It applies to me.
2. There are many other kinds of law but they don’t apply to me, because I say so."
LLAP
Burnaby49

Post by Burnaby49 »

obadiah wrote:
Burnaby49 wrote:And here on the west coast we socialize on a smaller scale, Cathulhu and I meeting for a beer and fries at a Tacoma pub. Great chicken wings too!
Harmons?
Where else? Cathulhu has a monkey on her back with the street name "Parmesan Fries". It's a gateway drug to my addiction, the salt and pepper chicken wings.
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

Cathulhu
Order of the Quatloos, Brevet First Class

Post by Cathulhu »

Hey, the spousal unit just confirmed he'll be free to come along. So we get free voiceovers!

That is one of the major joys of living with an NPR host; he keeps me laughing with the voiceovers. As in (when channel surfing through the local Fox station) "Q-13 news, by trained poodles" done in nice professional tones, or when my cat is on top of the climbing tower, "The leopard lies in wait, knowing prey will pass below..."

But his real strength is kung fu movies! He does much better dialog.
Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to. T. Pratchett
Always be a moving target. L.M. Bujold
Burnaby49

Post by Burnaby49 »

My spousal unit is too sensible and disciplined to eat nutritional garbage like deep fried chicken wings and fries while swilling beer. That's why I leave her behind on these trips.

Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

It's too bad that my wife no longer has family living in the Greater New York area. That, and that alone, could induce me to be in New York on Saturday, after having just completed a 4500-mile drive to and from Texas.
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools