Job, perhaps

A discussion of the better things in life, including music, the arts, wine, beer, cigars, scotch, gambling the Quatloosian way, travel, sports, and many other topics. [Political and religious discussions and the like should stay off-site.]
Arthur Rubin
Tupa-O-Quatloosia

Job, perhaps

Post by Arthur Rubin »

After about 39 months, I finally have a potentially large contract. If it lasts a year, I'll earn 6 figures. If, as I expect, it lasts a few weeks.... I'm still looking for a conventional employement relationship, though -- group insurance is still significantly less expensive than individual insurance, and will likely remain so, even if Obamacare goes fully into effect.

BTW, does anyone have a recommendation for a C/C++ compiler suite running under Windows? I have to recommend a purchase to my lead tomorrow morning.
Arthur Rubin, unemployed tax preparer and aerospace engineer
ImageJoin the Blue Ribbon Online Free Speech Campaign!

Butterflies are free. T-shirts are $19.95 $24.95 $29.95
webhick
Illuminati Obfuscation: Black Ops Div

Re: Job, perhaps

Post by webhick »

Congratulations.

And, GCC.
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
Burzmali
Exalted Guardian of the Gilded Quatloos

Post by Burzmali »

MS's Visual Studio is industry standard.
webhick
Illuminati Obfuscation: Black Ops Div

Post by webhick »

Burzmali wrote:MS's Visual Studio is industry standard.
And it's like $500.
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
Burzmali
Exalted Guardian of the Gilded Quatloos

Post by Burzmali »

webhick wrote:
Burzmali wrote:MS's Visual Studio is industry standard.
And it's like $500.
Aye, and it is well supported by MS at that price. If you have an open source background, Eclipse is free and open and does virtually anything MS VS can do in c/c++.

Trust me, I'll preach the gospel of Open Source until you gag me if you let me get started, but if the if you can't make due with the free and open options, namely Clang under Xcode or GCC under ... well everything, and you are a Windows shop, MSVC++ is probably your only real choice.
Lambkin
Warder of the Quatloosian Gibbet

Post by Lambkin »

I agree, if you're on Windows, use Microsoft's development tools. $500 is a tiny fraction of any significant development project.