Oh the Humanity !

A discussion of the better things in life, including music, the arts, wine, beer, cigars, scotch, gambling the Quatloosian way, travel, sports, and many other topics. [Political and religious discussions and the like should stay off-site.]
AndyK
Illuminatian Revenue Supremo Emeritus

Oh the Humanity !

Post by AndyK »

Associated Press wrote:A producer of the film "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" is suing the British comedy troupe over royalties from the hit stage musical "Spamalot."

Producer Mark Forstater wants a bigger share of proceeds from the show, which is based on the Pythons' 1975 movie spoof of the legend of King Arthur.

Lawyers for Monty Python are contesting Forstater's claim and will present their arguments later. Python members Eric Idle, Michael Palin and Terry Jones will give evidence during a five-day hearing that began Friday at London's High Court.

Forstater is suing the trio and the two other surviving Python members, John Cleese and Terry Gilliam. The sixth member of the troupe, Graham Chapman, died in 1989.

Forstater's lawyer, Tom Weisselberg, said under an agreement made when the film was produced, "for financial purposes Mr. Forstater was to be treated as the seventh Python" and entitled to the same share of "Holy Grail" merchandising and spin-off income as the other members.

That amounts to one seventh of the first 50 percent of such income, but lawyers for the Python troupe say he is entitled only to one fourteenth.

The lawyer said Forstater had not received his fair share of royalties from the stage show, which has been a hit around the world. It ran on Broadway for almost four years to 2009 and is still playing in London's West End.

Weisselberg said Forstater, who declared bankruptcy earlier this year, had been forced to go to court because of his "difficult financial circumstances."
Words fail me.
Taxes are the price we pay for a free society and to cover the responsibilities of the evaders
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Desperately Searching For Prolific Cash Cow

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

This is the bankruptcy equivalent of a Hail Mary pass.
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
The Observer
Further Moderator

Re: Oh the Humanity !

Post by The Observer »

Where is the Spanish Inquisition when you really need them?
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
webhick
Illuminati Obfuscation: Black Ops Div

Post by webhick »

The Observer wrote:Where is the Spanish Inquisition when you really need them?
They'll arrive when you least expect them.
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

webhick wrote:
The Observer wrote:Where is the Spanish Inquisition when you really need them?
They'll arrive when you least expect them.
Which seems to imply that it is also when you least need them.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
Olsenfin

Post by Olsenfin »

I think the plaintiff in this case is out of line and should be punished severely. Get the Comfy Chair!
Doktor Avalanche
Asst Secretary, the Dept of Jesters

Post by Doktor Avalanche »

Tort reform! The system is out of control! :lol:
The laissez-faire argument relies on the same tacit appeal to perfection as does communism. - George Soros