Mayan calendar

A discussion of the better things in life, including music, the arts, wine, beer, cigars, scotch, gambling the Quatloosian way, travel, sports, and many other topics. [Political and religious discussions and the like should stay off-site.]
Cathulhu
Order of the Quatloos, Brevet First Class

Mayan calendar

Post by Cathulhu »

Hey, the end of the cycle/world is this Friday. The backpedaling has already begun, I've seen one nutball posting that they got the date wrong, it's 12/12/21! I understand that there are all kinds of parties scheduled in Mexico for then, wish I could go to one. Anyone have any special plans for the weekend? Suggestions for same? Just asked the spouse if he has any ideas for his show that day, besides saying "Happy Apocalypse!"
Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to. T. Pratchett
Always be a moving target. L.M. Bujold
obadiah
Pirate
Pirate

Re: Mayan calendar

Post by obadiah »

Party, of course. Is there any other way?
1. There is a kind of law that I like, which are my own rules, which I call common law. It applies to me.
2. There are many other kinds of law but they don’t apply to me, because I say so."
LLAP
Montana Notasovrun
Cannoneer
Cannoneer
Location: I was turned loose somewhere in the middle of Montana

Post by Montana Notasovrun »

Vegas should have a good end of the world party or 100 or two.
rogfulton
Caveat Venditor
Location: No longer behind the satellite dish, second door along - in fact, not even in the same building.

Post by rogfulton »

According to a headline on Fark.com,
As the deadline for the Mayan apocalypse nears, one group of people is oddly calm and thinks the planning and worrying is hilarious. That group, of course, is the Mayans
LGT Chicago Sun-Times.
“We don’t know if the world is going to end,” said Liborio Yeh Kinil, a 62-year-old who can usually be found sitting on a chair outside his small grocery store at the corner of the grassy central square of the town of Uh-May in Quintana Roo state. “Remember 2006, and the ‘6-6-6’ (June 6, 2006): A lot of people thought something was going to happen, and nothing happened after all.”
"No man is above the law and no man is below it; nor do we ask any man's permission when we require him to obey it. Obedience to the law is demanded as a right; not asked as a favor."
- President Theodore Roosevelt
VanMeters Revenge

Post by VanMeters Revenge »

Here is what one Mayan has to say about it.
Mayan explanation of what will happen on 21st December 2012
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8y0MR8KiY8
Burnaby49
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians

Post by Burnaby49 »

After the Harold Camping fiasco I've lost all faith in any of these forecasts. You resign yourself to the mass destruction of the world based on an unimpeachable source like "beyond a shadow of a doubt" Harold and what happens? Nothing. I felt cheated and abused. So the ancient Mayans can con somebody else. On December 21st I'm going to do what I do every normal non-apocalyptical day, get hammered.
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeI-J2PhdGs
Burnaby49

Post by Burnaby49 »

It's getting crazy out there. From Dec.20th Wall Street Journal;

Other preppers, like Stephanie McLin, an Arizona mother of three and human-resources manager at a major corporation, don't have a specific doomsday scenario in mind. She said she is planning to get her Master's degree in 2013—but "we figure we might as well be prepared." She and her husband recently cashed in their retirement plans to buy a $58,000 bunker made from a giant corrugated pipe from Mr. Hubbard and stocked it with several years of supplies.

We've worked hard for years saving for our retirement but you know what, screw it. Let's squander our future for a big corrugated pipe, fill it full of dried beans, and then bury it underground!

Sounds like level-headed planning to me.
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

Mider
Gunners Mate
Gunners Mate

Post by Mider »

One of the guys here is comtempating on posting on Ebay and other sites to buy homes cheap for those who want to get away and hide. He thinks he can get a few for under $1,000.
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

Mider wrote:One of the guys here is comtempating on posting on Ebay and other sites to buy homes cheap for those who want to get away and hide. He thinks he can get a few for under $1,000.
Back in 1843/44, there were more than a few sharp New Englanders who were quite willing to accept ownership of property and money abandoned by Millerites who were absolutely convinced that the world's end was imminent.
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
Burnaby49

Post by Burnaby49 »

Probably the same with Harold Camping's gang last year. A lot sold out on the expectation that their next home would be in heaven. True enough if your idea of heaven is an RV in a parking lot near Family Radio headquarters.

Arthur Rubin
Tupa-O-Quatloosia

Post by Arthur Rubin »

... and it's already December 21 GMT ...
Kestrel
Endangerer of Stupid Species

Post by Kestrel »

Arthur Rubin wrote:... and it's already December 21 GMT ...
Needs to be Dec 21st in the geographic region ruled by the Maya. They didn't know about GMT when they drew up their calendar.

Mayan territory is the Yucatan peninsula. That's GMT-6, aka US Central Time Zone for the non-pilots lurking here. So we have somewhere between 3.6 and 27.6 hours left.

Enjoy yourselves.
"Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." - Robert Heinlein
Number Six
Hereditary Margrave of Mooloosia

Post by Number Six »

You better read the Mayan calendar comics, their shelf life expires tomorrow.

http://www.google.com/search?q=mayan+ca ... 89&bih=412
'There are two kinds of injustice: the first is found in those who do an injury, the second in those who fail to protect another from injury when they can.' (Roman. Cicero, De Off. I. vii)

'Choose loss rather than shameful gains.' (Chilon Fr. 10. Diels)
Burnaby49

Post by Burnaby49 »

At least some entrepreneurs are taking advantage of the situation while they can. From Friday's Wall Street Journal (which of course will only be available online Thursday night since there will be no Friday).

SIRINCE, Turkey—In this sleepy village on Turkey's Aegean coast, residents have been preparing for an apocalyptic business opportunity: the end of the world.

Thousands of believers in a Mayan prophecy that Dec. 21 is the "judgment day" that will wipe out most of mankind are expected to flock to Sirince, a hillside village of just 600 inhabitants in western Turkey. Adherents of the doomsday cult that bases its calculations on the ending of an era in the 5,125-year-old Mayan calendar say the area is one of a handful of locations in the world that will be spared the end of days.

Many of Sirince's residents ascribe to a different belief: that the influx will offer an economic stimulus to die for, as visitors spend money like there's no tomorrow.

According to the article the village estimates about 10,000 people will show up, largely Americans, Israelis and Japanese. One villager has the right idea, he wants to sell his 500 "Get Ready for the end!" T-shirts fast since they will be worthless the next day.

notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

Stephanie McLin wrote: "we figure we might as well be prepared."
Sounds like just the sort of person who ought to be running a human resourses dept, and just the sort I would want my company pursuing. I'd really like to know which company she works for so I can short their stock as I really don't think they are in it for the long haul. I've seen that kind of corporate mindset up close, and it isn't pretty, or self preservative.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
Joe Dirt
Anonymous Administerial Adviser

Post by Joe Dirt »

Happy Holidays! Best wishes for a prosperous New Year to all.
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably a wise investment.
AndyK
Illuminatian Revenue Supremo Emeritus

Post by AndyK »

I have it from a reliable source located just outside Roswell that the world did, in fact, end last night and all of the godly people have been transported directly to heaven.

For some reason, neither I, nor my family, nor any of my neighbors seem to have vanished ... ???
Taxes are the price we pay for a free society and to cover the responsibilities of the evaders
Doktor Avalanche
Asst Secretary, the Dept of Jesters

Post by Doktor Avalanche »

Worst. Apocalypse. Ever.
The laissez-faire argument relies on the same tacit appeal to perfection as does communism. - George Soros
Doktor Avalanche
Asst Secretary, the Dept of Jesters

Post by Doktor Avalanche »

Kestrel wrote:
Arthur Rubin wrote:... and it's already December 21 GMT ...
Needs to be Dec 21st in the geographic region ruled by the Maya. They didn't know about GMT when they drew up their calendar.

Mayan territory is the Yucatan peninsula. That's GMT-6, aka US Central Time Zone for the non-pilots lurking here. So we have somewhere between 3.6 and 27.6 hours left.

Enjoy yourselves.
That would be 3:11 AM PDT Friday, December 21st 2012.
The laissez-faire argument relies on the same tacit appeal to perfection as does communism. - George Soros
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

Well shucks, we're still here, and I was so looking forward to taking the weekend off!!!!

Damn apocalypsers just can't get anything right.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.