Legal Significance of Flipping the Bird

A discussion of the better things in life, including music, the arts, wine, beer, cigars, scotch, gambling the Quatloosian way, travel, sports, and many other topics. [Political and religious discussions and the like should stay off-site.]
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Legal Significance of Flipping the Bird

Post by wserra »

One of the country's most distinguished jurists - Jon O. Newman of the Second Circuit - yesterday writes fourteen pages on the legal significance of giving a cop the finger.

Think I'm kidding? In any event, the holding: "This ancient gesture of insult is not the basis for a reasonable suspicion of a traffic violation or impending criminal activity."
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
Number Six
Hereditary Margrave of Mooloosia

Re: Legal Significance of Flipping the Bird

Post by Number Six »

It is an insulting gesture not just for law enforcement but for ordinary citizens as well. I have reported drivers working for companies that have given me the finger for whatever reason. There are laws against it.
'There are two kinds of injustice: the first is found in those who do an injury, the second in those who fail to protect another from injury when they can.' (Roman. Cicero, De Off. I. vii)

'Choose loss rather than shameful gains.' (Chilon Fr. 10. Diels)
Flatulating Bovine

Re: Legal Significance of Flipping the Bird

Post by Flatulating Bovine »

There are laws for it as well, and they are contained in the First Amendment. :brickwall: