Boston Marathon

A discussion of the better things in life, including music, the arts, wine, beer, cigars, scotch, gambling the Quatloosian way, travel, sports, and many other topics. [Political and religious discussions and the like should stay off-site.]
JamesVincent
A Councilor of the Kabosh

Boston Marathon

Post by JamesVincent »

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 ... M.facebook
Two loud explosions near the finish line of the Boston Marathon turned a celebratory occasion on Monday into a hectic scene of confusion, panic and injuries among bystanders.

The successive booms went off shortly before 3 p.m. near Copley Square, according to multiple news reports.
Disciple of the cross and champion in suffering
Immerse yourself into the kingdom of redemption
Pardon your mind through the chains of the divine
Make way, the shepherd of fire

Avenged Sevenfold "Shepherd of Fire"
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Re: Boston Marathon

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

The local newspaper web sites are slowed to a crawl, because so many people are trying to access them for news. I'm listening to FM radio, so even though I can see downtown from here, my information is very sparse.
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
Pottapaug1938

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

The radio is saying that the second blast was apparently calculated to get the responders to the first blast.
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
Pottapaug1938

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

The web site for WBZ is carrying live reports from the scene. The finish line has been closed off, and runners are being diverted onto Commonwealth Ave., a block away.
JamesVincent

Post by JamesVincent »

And now the JFK library is on fire?

The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

Pottapaug1938 wrote:The radio is saying that the second blast was apparently calculated to get the responders to the first blast.
It was a bad calculation, in that reports are saying it went off about ten seconds after the first blast. Not enough time for the responders to even get there in force.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

Also, as a caveat, please help keep this thread politically neutral and do not let it get off into side channels over politics. Thanks!
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
Pottapaug1938

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

JamesVincent wrote:And now the JFK library is on fire?
I don't think so. I just took a look towards downtown; and if the library was on fire I'd see a smoke plume. WBZ radio is saying nothing about it, either.

So far, two dead and two dozen injured.
Pottapaug1938

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

Apparently, firefighters recovered two other bombs which did not go off. They have both been disarmed.
JamesVincent

Post by JamesVincent »

So far I've heard of the two main explosions, a third device and controlled explosion and a possible fourth device.

Pottapaug1938

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

JamesVincent wrote:So far I've heard of the two main explosions, a third device and controlled explosion and a possible fourth device.
WBZ just confirmed one other bomb which was recovered, unexploded, and was inactivated. The "controlled explosion" was something called a "water bomb".
Last edited by Pottapaug1938 on Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Post by wserra »

Pottapaug, was anyone you know downtown watching (or running in) the marathon?

ETA: a couple of other Quatloosians live in the greater Boston area. Dezcad, right? And maybe one or two others? Everybody accounted for?
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
Pottapaug1938

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

None of my friends were likely to be downtown; more likely, they were in Newton, somewhere along Heartbreak Hill. Some people from my company were running; but so far nothing has come through about them.

If Burzmali is still on board, here, he lives not too far from me.

There is now surveillance video of a guy putting a backpack in the trash can where the first bomb went off.
Pottapaug1938

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

We just got confirmation that something did happen at the JFK Library, which is about a mile due east of where I live.
JamesVincent

Post by JamesVincent »

Chief of police confirmed an explosion inside JFK library.

Dezcad
Khedive Ismail Quatoosia

Post by Dezcad »

wserra wrote:Pottapaug, was anyone you know downtown watching (or running in) the marathon?

ETA: a couple of other Quatloosians live in the greater Boston area. Dezcad, right? And maybe one or two others? Everybody accounted for?
One of my co-workers ran the marathon and finished at 2:35PM and the blasts were at 2:55PM. We received a text from her about an hour ago that she was OK. It was a very anxious hour.
Dezcad
Khedive Ismail Quatoosia

Post by Dezcad »

Best place for live updates and video of the explosion.
Burzmali
Exalted Guardian of the Gilded Quatloos

Post by Burzmali »

I'm still in one piece, I had a few coworkers in the area, but I was 25 miles away at the time.
Pottapaug1938

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

All of my coworkers who ran the Marathon are okay.
Pottapaug1938

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

The Bruins game just got cancelled. The authorities don't want people gathering anywhere. Also, all flights which have Boston as a destination are under a "ground stop", which means that they are being held at the airports of departure.
Last edited by Pottapaug1938 on Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.