Boston Marathon

A discussion of the better things in life, including music, the arts, wine, beer, cigars, scotch, gambling the Quatloosian way, travel, sports, and many other topics. [Political and religious discussions and the like should stay off-site.]
Number Six
Hereditary Margrave of Mooloosia

Re: Boston Marathon

Post by Number Six »

I would like to be in the room of the top intelligence analysts as they sort through data and have to make decisions on where to go with their investigations. In many cases they must decide to back off because of insufficient evidence or even political/social consequences. In the cases of those extremely sensitive situations, they must work in collaboration with all relevant agencies and politicians.
'There are two kinds of injustice: the first is found in those who do an injury, the second in those who fail to protect another from injury when they can.' (Roman. Cicero, De Off. I. vii)

'Choose loss rather than shameful gains.' (Chilon Fr. 10. Diels)
Number Six
Hereditary Margrave of Mooloosia

Post by Number Six »

Judy Clarke has taken over as head lawyer for the bombing suspect:

"The defense team representing the Boston Marathon bombing suspect got a major boost Monday with the addition of Judy Clarke, a San Diego lawyer who has managed to get life sentences instead of the death penalty for several high-profile clients, including the Unabomber and the gunman in the rampage that injured former Arizona Rep. Gabrielle Giffords."
http://news.msn.com/crime-justice/bosto ... ajor-boost

Chances of a death penalty are looking very slim....
'There are two kinds of injustice: the first is found in those who do an injury, the second in those who fail to protect another from injury when they can.' (Roman. Cicero, De Off. I. vii)

'Choose loss rather than shameful gains.' (Chilon Fr. 10. Diels)
fortinbras
Princeps Wooloosia

Post by fortinbras »

I would not be surprised if the DoJ already took the death penalty off the table when it questioned Tsarnaev. From all accounts Tsarnaev was quite willing to reveal crucial facts to the govt, which indicates that he had been provided with some inducement such as a promise of no death penalty.

Not that it matters much. Death sentences mean interminable appeals at enormous public expense, and specialized prison conditions, also at enormous public expense. Giving him a life sentence, to be housed among Gen Pop, will almost certainly guarantee a shorter lifespan than on death row.
Last edited by fortinbras on Wed May 01, 2013 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

fortinbras wrote:I would not be surprised if the DoJ already took the death penalty off the table when it questioned Tsarnaev. From all accounts Tsarnaev was quite willing to reveal crucial facts to the govt, which indicates that he had been provided with some inducement such as a promise of no death penalty.

Not that it matters much. Death sentences mean interminable appeals at enormous public expense, and specialized prison conditions, also at enormous public expense. Giving him a life sentence, to be housed among Gen Pop, will almost certainly guarantee a short lifespan than on death row.
That last sentence encapsulates why I don't want the death sentence for Tsarnaev. Make him sweat, for every minute of his remaining life, in fear that some law-breaking but patriotic convict will be waiting, with a rusty razor, to turn him into terrorist tartare, or perhaps that some small-time convict desiring some "street/prison cred" will decide to shove a shiv or shank in his guts -- after stuffing some pigskin in his mouth.
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
Judge Roy Bean
Judge for the District of Quatloosia
Judge for the District of Quatloosia

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

Tsarnaev will never be in a general population setting.

He'll live out the remainder of his life in Florence, Colorado.
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

I guessed as much. However, I'd like to think that Tsarnaev will still have to spend the rest of his life in fear that someone will do him in....
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
fortinbras
Princeps Wooloosia

Post by fortinbras »

There is now an internet story (possibly pure hogwash) that Tsarnaev was involved in a murder in Boston on Sept 11, 2001.

Since the hijacked planes took off from Boston airport, and the date is the same, this starts me wondering if Tsarnaev was part of the hijacking conspiracy.
rogfulton
Caveat Venditor
Location: No longer behind the satellite dish, second door along - in fact, not even in the same building.

Post by rogfulton »

fortinbras wrote:There is now an internet story (possibly pure hogwash) that Tsarnaev was involved in a murder in Boston on Sept 11, 2001.

Since the hijacked planes took off from Boston airport, and the date is the same, this starts me wondering if Tsarnaev was part of the hijacking conspiracy.
Wouldn't he have been a pre-teen at the time?
"No man is above the law and no man is below it; nor do we ask any man's permission when we require him to obey it. Obedience to the law is demanded as a right; not asked as a favor."
- President Theodore Roosevelt
fortinbras
Princeps Wooloosia

Post by fortinbras »

My bad. I misread the date by a decade; the supposed murders took place on Sept 11, 2011. Which pretty much blows up my comment all to heck.

http://freedom4um.com/cgi-bin/readart.cgi?ArtNum=154887