Memorial Day

A discussion of the better things in life, including music, the arts, wine, beer, cigars, scotch, gambling the Quatloosian way, travel, sports, and many other topics. [Political and religious discussions and the like should stay off-site.]
JamesVincent
A Councilor of the Kabosh

Memorial Day

Post by JamesVincent »

Happy Memorial Day to my brothers and sisters in uniform, past and present. To all who made the ultimate sacrifice, thank you. You are not forgotten.

Disciple of the cross and champion in suffering
Immerse yourself into the kingdom of redemption
Pardon your mind through the chains of the divine
Make way, the shepherd of fire

Avenged Sevenfold "Shepherd of Fire"
AndyK
Illuminatian Revenue Supremo Emeritus

Re: Memorial Day

Post by AndyK »

To all those to whom it pertains:

Thank you for your service and sacrifice.

We are all better for your actions.
Taxes are the price we pay for a free society and to cover the responsibilities of the evaders
Unidyne
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Post by Unidyne »

My father, a Korean war veteran (US Army Medical Corp, 134th Medical Detachment), died today from kidney cancer complications. He was 81.

(salute)
Irony: The Ayn Rand® Institute (ARI) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization.
JamesVincent

Post by JamesVincent »

Unidyne wrote:My father, a Korean war veteran (US Army Medical Corp, 134th Medical Detachment), died today from kidney cancer complications. He was 81.

(salute)
I am sorry Unidyne. Another soldier to guard the Gates.

Number Six
Hereditary Margrave of Mooloosia

Post by Number Six »

My sympathy also for Unidyne's loss.

Also the innumerable soldiers who died and whose families suffered loss in service to their country.

'To take no notice of a violent attack is to strengthen the heart of the enemy. Vigour is valiant, but cowardice is vile.' (Ancient Egyptian. The Pharaoh Senusert III, cit. H. R. Hall, Ancient History of the Near East, p. 161)

'They came to the fields of joy, the fresh turf of the Fortunate Woods and the dwellings of the Blessed . . . here was the company of those who had suffered wounds fighting for their fatherland.' (Roman. Virgil, Aeneid, vi. 638-9, 660)
'There are two kinds of injustice: the first is found in those who do an injury, the second in those who fail to protect another from injury when they can.' (Roman. Cicero, De Off. I. vii)

'Choose loss rather than shameful gains.' (Chilon Fr. 10. Diels)
Olsenfin

Post by Olsenfin »

For those who want to give something back to those who sacrificed so much for us, I recommend www.woundedwarriorproject.org. You may make a lump sum gift or sign up for monthly gifts (for as little as $19 per month). My wife and I are proud to contribute. We hope that some here will join us.
JamesVincent

Post by JamesVincent »

Olsenfin wrote:For those who want to give something back to those who sacrificed so much for us, I recommend http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org. You may make a lump sum gift or sign up for monthly gifts (for as little as $19 per month). My wife and I are proud to contribute. We hope that some here will join us.
Wounded Warrior is an extremely good charity for Servicemen/ women. Me and the kids have donated what we can and have donated time to their services in our area. Was it Prof? who donated use of his house to wounded veterans. We had a section for it in the charity sub-forum, is that still around? Also USO/ Welcome Home Maryland is another one we donate money/ time/ supplies to when we can. They greet soldiers returning from deployment at BWI Airport and provide their families with snacks and goody bags while waiting. The USO is also doing a drive this year for kids books to stock the USO lounges with so families can wait in comfort. I got my oldest girl's school to donate a lot of them earlier for their community service project.