Network DNS problems

A discussion of the better things in life, including music, the arts, wine, beer, cigars, scotch, gambling the Quatloosian way, travel, sports, and many other topics. [Political and religious discussions and the like should stay off-site.]
Arthur Rubin
Tupa-O-Quatloosia

Network DNS problems

Post by Arthur Rubin »

Perhaps someone already knows the answer; without warning, in the afternoon or early evening on 5/29, Wikipedia disappeared from my DNS translation. I've tried various things, but so far, the only way I can even read Wikipedia is through a proxy server or anonymizer, my anonymizer mangles text sufficiently that I can rarely edit. Any ideas.

I've tried changing the IP4 DNS server from "automatic" to 4.2.2.1 or 8.8.8.8, and it doesn't seem to help. (My router doesn't pass IP6, so I don't see any point in setting an IP6 DNS server. I could be wrong.)
Last edited by Arthur Rubin on Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: punctuation/spacing
Arthur Rubin, unemployed tax preparer and aerospace engineer
ImageJoin the Blue Ribbon Online Free Speech Campaign!

Butterflies are free. T-shirts are $19.95 $24.95 $29.95
webhick
Illuminati Obfuscation: Black Ops Div

Re: Network DNS problems

Post by webhick »

Have you tried clearing your DNS cache?
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
Arthur Rubin
Tupa-O-Quatloosia

Post by Arthur Rubin »

It's an HP machine, and HP's problem resolution attempt claims to do it automatically. Now, it's possible that a DNS cache entry doesn't clear if it's active....

Seems to have worked, now that I also set an override on the DNS server. Apparently my Windows (or router) default DNS server still can't see Wikipedia, though. On the other hand, it may go out again....
Last edited by Arthur Rubin on Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: After trying clearing the cache AGAIN, it seems to have worked.
Arthur Rubin, unemployed tax preparer and aerospace engineer
ImageJoin the Blue Ribbon Online Free Speech Campaign!

Butterflies are free. T-shirts are $19.95 $24.95 $29.95
webhick
Illuminati Obfuscation: Black Ops Div

Post by webhick »

I don't trust those stupid repair utilities. If it's a Windows box, you can do it at the command prompt with

Code: Select all

ipconfig /flushdns
Depending on your version of Windows, you may have to "run" the command prompt as an Administrator.
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie