I guess I'm buying a boat...

A discussion of the better things in life, including music, the arts, wine, beer, cigars, scotch, gambling the Quatloosian way, travel, sports, and many other topics. [Political and religious discussions and the like should stay off-site.]
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

I guess I'm buying a boat...

Post by Gregg »

Well, a limited partnership in a company that is trying to buy The Delta Queen and put it back into regular service. As of now, it is a permanently docked hotel in Chattanooga, and some people here are trying to bring it back to Cincinnati at least.

A lot of details to work out and nothing near final, but honestly, how cool?
Supreme Commander of The Imperial Illuminati Air Force
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Re: I guess I'm buying a boat...

Post by notorial dissent »

Neat!!! I always thought they were a delight, and was really sorry to hear they had been grounded so to speak. The only thing I would wonder about would be getting the Coast Guard clearance, since I understand that was what shuttered them to begin with.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

notorial dissent wrote:Neat!!! I always thought they were a delight, and was really sorry to hear they had been grounded so to speak. The only thing I would wonder about would be getting the Coast Guard clearance, since I understand that was what shuttered them to begin with.

As I understand it, we have strong support from a Congressman and some Senators to regain the overnight exemption. Plan B is just day trips.
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.
Burnaby49
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians

Post by Burnaby49 »

Bill in favor of the Delta Queen introduced in US Senate

May 23. 2013

U.S. Senators Sherrod Brown (D-OH) and Rob Portman (R-OH) have introduced legislation that would allow the Delta Queen to carry passengers on overnight trips on the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers. Companion legislation was introduced in the U.S. House of Representatives by U.S. Rep. Steve Chabot (OH-1) and Brad Wenstrup (OH-2).

The bill, if adopted by House and Senate, will grant exemption from the fire-retardant materials construction requirement for vessels operating within the Boundary Line until 2028, i.e. for another 15 years from now on, with the possibility of extenting this time period even further by new legislation before the exemption expires in 2028.
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeI-J2PhdGs
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

Again, as I said, I'm all for it. The only thing I'd heard was that the CG apparently had developed a real thing about the Queens and was bound and determined to put them out of business. Hopefully good sense and history will prevail.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

Just don't come running and crying to us when you discover that you accidentally placed yourself under admiralty law...
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
JamesVincent
A Councilor of the Kabosh

Post by JamesVincent »

The Observer wrote:Just don't come running and crying to us when you discover that you accidentally placed yourself under admiralty law...
Was waiting for that. I think that's a pretty cool deal Gregg. They were pretty popular before, I'm sure they can be again. Even the daytrips should be a good moneymaker for your group. Good luck with it.
Disciple of the cross and champion in suffering
Immerse yourself into the kingdom of redemption
Pardon your mind through the chains of the divine
Make way, the shepherd of fire

Avenged Sevenfold "Shepherd of Fire"
Montana Notasovrun
Cannoneer
Cannoneer
Location: I was turned loose somewhere in the middle of Montana

Post by Montana Notasovrun »

I once played poker on a tethered riverboat. I think its something every poker player should get a chance at. They are amazing crafts with considerable history. Umm yeah, admiralty law....
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

notorial dissent wrote:Again, as I said, I'm all for it. The only thing I'd heard was that the CG apparently had developed a real thing about the Queens and was bound and determined to put them out of business. Hopefully good sense and history will prevail.
As this thing winds its way through Congress (presently passed by the House and left since last summer in a Senate committee) I have gotten a little insight on that. It wasn't that the Coast Guard cared much, or at all, it was actually a labor dispute where a union went to their congressman who then tied up the exemption's renewal. It only affected the Delta Queen, and the Mississippi Queen and the Americas Queen both had steel superstructures.

Anyhow, there may be some movement soon.
Judge Roy Bean
Judge for the District of Quatloosia
Judge for the District of Quatloosia

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

Gregg wrote:... it was actually a labor dispute where a union went to their congressman who then tied up the exemption's renewal. ...

Anyhow, there may be some movement soon.
So now you're going to be involved with union rules, Coast Guard regs AND admiralty law! :snicker:
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three