Question

A discussion of the better things in life, including music, the arts, wine, beer, cigars, scotch, gambling the Quatloosian way, travel, sports, and many other topics. [Political and religious discussions and the like should stay off-site.]
JamesVincent
A Councilor of the Kabosh

Question

Post by JamesVincent »

I know I have been a little while but one thing I never quite read or saw. What actually started Quatloos and how did the original members get here?
Disciple of the cross and champion in suffering
Immerse yourself into the kingdom of redemption
Pardon your mind through the chains of the divine
Make way, the shepherd of fire

Avenged Sevenfold "Shepherd of Fire"
Kestrel
Endangerer of Stupid Species

Re: Question

Post by Kestrel »

I first found Quatloos - the original site portion - when googling information about tax protestors.

Check this page: About Quatloos.com
"Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." - Robert Heinlein
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

I'm not an original member; but I came across Quatloos when researching financial scams, especially of the offshore variety.
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
Cathulhu
Order of the Quatloos, Brevet First Class

Post by Cathulhu »

Same story; was googling 419 scams in my case. Quatloos has the peculiar distinction of being the only website I ever sent a donation to (I'm tight with my money: I suffered for 30 years to get it.) because it was really helpful. I also recall introducing daughter Heather and her spouse to it, and reading the Brad Christensen page with the description of holiday festivities including sucking tequila shots out of his missing eye socket (a lefthanded salute to Jay if I ever saw one) literally put them rolling (and howling) on the floor. It's becoming a Christmas tradition here. You should ask Jay, he started it!
Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to. T. Pratchett
Always be a moving target. L.M. Bujold
Duke2Earl
Eighth Operator of the Delusional Mooloo

Post by Duke2Earl »

I believe I joined a little over 10 years ago. I had already been exposed to income tax deniers both at work and on the web in other forums. I came across a mention of Quatloos in another online forum and visited and joined. I think the site was about 6 months old then.
My choice early in life was to either be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politican. And to tell the truth there's hardly any difference.

Harry S Truman
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Post by wserra »

Several of the earliest members tell their stories here.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
jcolvin2
Grand Master Consul of Quatloosia

Post by jcolvin2 »

Today is my 10th Anniversary - July 1, 2003 (actually the Q keeps GMT so I probably joined on June 30, 2003 local time). I came to Q because I had dealt with Jay on both David Marchant's Offshore Alert Message Board and the Diligizer Board and was impressed.
Unidyne
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Post by Unidyne »

I found Quatloos while doing research on new country projects and kept getting rambling, incoherant e-mails from a Roger Moore who claimed to represent the "Kingdom of EnenKio". Quatloos has a number of bits bout him in their archive.
Irony: The Ayn Rand® Institute (ARI) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization.