Detroit

A discussion of the better things in life, including music, the arts, wine, beer, cigars, scotch, gambling the Quatloosian way, travel, sports, and many other topics. [Political and religious discussions and the like should stay off-site.]
Lambkin
Warder of the Quatloosian Gibbet

Re: Detroit

Post by Lambkin »

I passed through Yugoslavia by bicycle in 1989. Asking locals about obvious war damage to buildings, I was informed that much of the damage with a hastily-repaired appearance had been that way since World War II. Upon arrival we traded western currency for the newly minted 50,000 Dinar notes. Three weeks later we started to see 100,000 Dinar notes, as inflation was out of control. Beggars would refuse small denominations and stores made change with pieces of candy. Of course the violence only got worse from there.
JamesVincent
A Councilor of the Kabosh

Post by JamesVincent »

https://www.yahoo.com/travel/a-look-at- ... 50151.html
It’s hard to picture now, but the ruined resorts in Marisa Scheinfeld’s haunting photos once epitomized glamour for East Coast middle-class families.

Known as the Borscht Belt, these upstate New York hotels drew mostly Jewish guests who were often unwelcome at other hotels. At its height in the 1960s, the Borscht Belt sparkled: There was the Jerry Lewis Theater Club at Brown’s, over-the-top meals at Grossinger’s, a swanky ski chalet at the Nevele. Anyone who’s seen “Dirty Dancing” has had a glimpse of Borscht Belt buzz.
Disciple of the cross and champion in suffering
Immerse yourself into the kingdom of redemption
Pardon your mind through the chains of the divine
Make way, the shepherd of fire

Avenged Sevenfold "Shepherd of Fire"
JamesVincent
A Councilor of the Kabosh

Post by JamesVincent »

http://fox6now.com/2014/11/30/postcards ... ars-later/
Cooke visited Pripyat and Chernobyl in June while working for CBS News on a “60 Minutes” episode. He created the video to showcase his camerawork from the shoot for his portfolio.

It was his first time there, though he has memories of Chernobyl’s effect on his family living in Italy at the time.

“The nuclear dust clouds swept westward towards us. The Italian police went round and threw away all the local produce and my mother rushed out to purchase as much tinned milk as possible to feed me, her infant son,” he said. “It caused so much distress hundreds of miles away, so I can’t imagine how terrifying it would have been for the hundreds of thousands of Ukrainian citizens who were forced to evacuate.”
Disciple of the cross and champion in suffering
Immerse yourself into the kingdom of redemption
Pardon your mind through the chains of the divine
Make way, the shepherd of fire

Avenged Sevenfold "Shepherd of Fire"