No, that's NOT teleportation, but it's cool.

A discussion of the better things in life, including music, the arts, wine, beer, cigars, scotch, gambling the Quatloosian way, travel, sports, and many other topics. [Political and religious discussions and the like should stay off-site.]
Cathulhu
Order of the Quatloos, Brevet First Class

No, that's NOT teleportation, but it's cool.

Post by Cathulhu »

Read this recently; written in sensationalism by calling it teleportation when no matter moves. But quantum entanglement--what was it Einstein said, "spooky actions at a distance" or something like--is increasingly fascinating, and I seriously think it could be the next extraordinary breakthrough in our understanding of the universe.

http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2 ... f=obinsite
Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to. T. Pratchett
Always be a moving target. L.M. Bujold
The Observer
Further Moderator

Re: No, that's NOT teleportation, but it's cool.

Post by The Observer »

If scientists are able to maintain the state of entanglement at any distance, it would certainly solve the problem of communicating over long distances in interstellar space.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
Cathulhu
Order of the Quatloos, Brevet First Class

Post by Cathulhu »

Damned if I can recall title right now, but remember a Heinlein novel where telepathy between identical twins was used for starship communications. Wonder if natural clones can be quantum entangled in the womb? Robert Anson Heinlein was certainly ahead of his time.
Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to. T. Pratchett
Always be a moving target. L.M. Bujold
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Post by wserra »

Cathulhu wrote:Damned if I can recall title right now, but remember a Heinlein novel where telepathy between identical twins was used for starship communications.
Time for the Stars.
Wonder if natural clones can be quantum entangled in the womb? Robert Anson Heinlein was certainly ahead of his time.
In many ways. In others, not so much.
The Observer wrote:If scientists are able to maintain the state of entanglement at any distance, it would certainly solve the problem of communicating over long distances in interstellar space.
First one needs to solve the problem of traveling over long distances in interstellar space.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

wserra wrote:First one needs to solve the problem of traveling over long distances in interstellar space.
While that may be, sending an expensive vessel into interstellar space without any means of secure communication would be seen as a waste of money. After all, even if the ship gets destroyed out there, the people who sent it out would like to find out why, if only to make sure they don't repeat the same mistake as the first expedition.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff