Youtube problems

A discussion of the better things in life, including music, the arts, wine, beer, cigars, scotch, gambling the Quatloosian way, travel, sports, and many other topics. [Political and religious discussions and the like should stay off-site.]
Arthur Rubin
Tupa-O-Quatloosia

Youtube problems

Post by Arthur Rubin »

I can't seem to get sound on Youtube videos. (In some cases, this may be an improvement.... :shock: ) Any ideas? Local sound (games such as Minesweeper), and Capital Steps .mp3 files work fine.

I'll be back in a few hours, probably.
Arthur Rubin, unemployed tax preparer and aerospace engineer
ImageJoin the Blue Ribbon Online Free Speech Campaign!

Butterflies are free. T-shirts are $19.95 $24.95 $29.95
Kestrel
Endangerer of Stupid Species

Re: Youtube problems

Post by Kestrel »

The same happened to me last year. My Vista desktop with IE-8 quit playing the audio on about half of the YouTube videos. My Win-7 laptop with IE-9 never had any trouble. Not long after that I upgraded the Vista desktop to Win-7, and the YouTube trouble went away.

What operating system is on your computer? Have you tried using another browser?
"Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." - Robert Heinlein
JamesVincent
A Councilor of the Kabosh

Post by JamesVincent »

Check that your codecs are updated. If one isn't it can cause that.
Disciple of the cross and champion in suffering
Immerse yourself into the kingdom of redemption
Pardon your mind through the chains of the divine
Make way, the shepherd of fire

Avenged Sevenfold "Shepherd of Fire"
Arthur Rubin
Tupa-O-Quatloosia

Post by Arthur Rubin »

Kestrel wrote:The same happened to me last year. My Vista desktop with IE-8 quit playing the audio on about half of the YouTube videos. My Win-7 laptop with IE-9 never had any trouble. Not long after that I upgraded the Vista desktop to Win-7, and the YouTube trouble went away.

What operating system is on your computer? Have you tried using another browser?
Windows 7 Home Premium (not by choice), IE 10 (automatically updated, although I didn't intend to click that) & Firefox 24.0. Works in Google Chrome (can't find version number). I have Opera, but it doesn't work at all, any more.
Arthur Rubin, unemployed tax preparer and aerospace engineer
ImageJoin the Blue Ribbon Online Free Speech Campaign!

Butterflies are free. T-shirts are $19.95 $24.95 $29.95
Burnaby49
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians

Post by Burnaby49 »

I'm really old school when it comes to operating systems, XP and IE 8. I've been having a problem, just fairly recently with a lot of YouTube videos don't have sound using that combination but when that happens I just open them with Firefox or Chrome and no problem. Since I can get them to work I can't be bothered to figure out why IE won't handle them.
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeI-J2PhdGs
Kestrel
Endangerer of Stupid Species

Post by Kestrel »

Arthur Rubin wrote:Windows 7 Home Premium (not by choice), IE 10 (automatically updated, although I didn't intend to click that) & Firefox 24.0. Works in Google Chrome (can't find version number). I have Opera, but it doesn't work at all, any more.
Hmmmm... you can try un-installing IE10, or upgrade your WIn-7 to Win-8 (if your computer will handle Win-8), or just accept that Chrome is a new reality in your life.

The problem is likely something deeply embedded in the your browser configuration, perhaps a hidden file or a defective registry flag. Sometimes the Experts forums at on the Microsoft support website can give you help. But if you have thoughts of hacking your registry, be very careful that you go through all the registry backup procedures first. You don't want to render your computer completely inoperable with one keystroke.
"Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." - Robert Heinlein
JamesVincent
A Councilor of the Kabosh

Post by JamesVincent »

Does your sound work other places, just not Youtube?
Disciple of the cross and champion in suffering
Immerse yourself into the kingdom of redemption
Pardon your mind through the chains of the divine
Make way, the shepherd of fire

Avenged Sevenfold "Shepherd of Fire"
webhick
Illuminati Obfuscation: Black Ops Div

Post by webhick »

YouTube uses Flash and it's possible that the IE Flash plugin is broken or out-of-date. In IE, go to Find Flash Player Version page. It'll tell you if it's broken and if it's up-to-date.

Barring that, please link to a YouTube video where the sound plays and another where it doesn't.
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
fogobum
Tourist to Quatloosia
Tourist to Quatloosia

Post by fogobum »

Arthur Rubin wrote:I can't seem to get sound on Youtube videos. (In some cases, this may be an improvement.... :shock: ) Any ideas? Local sound (games such as Minesweeper), and Capital Steps .mp3 files work fine.

I'll be back in a few hours, probably.
Youtube has, recently, for me, started muted. This pleases me; I no longer have crazed Freeman shouting in my ear when I select the next video. I would assume that the second thing you checked was the little speaker icon in the youtube frame, but a friend of mine got caught by it.