Serious news

A discussion of the better things in life, including music, the arts, wine, beer, cigars, scotch, gambling the Quatloosian way, travel, sports, and many other topics. [Political and religious discussions and the like should stay off-site.]
AndyK
Illuminatian Revenue Supremo Emeritus

Serious news

Post by AndyK »

Forget about all this tax protestor, MLM, conspiracy wackadoodle nonsense on the rest of the board:
WTOP newa wrote:Rare bourbon stolen from Kentucky distillery

There may be some thieves out there getting very drunk -- or at least a little bit richer.

Kentucky.com and The State Journal report 65 cases of Pappy Van Winkle 20 Year bourbon have been stolen from Buffalo Trace Distillery in Frankfort, Ky. About three bottles of the rare bourbon were in each case, and -- combined with bottles of Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye that also were stolen -- the total loss is estimated at more than $26,000.

The hard-to-find 20-year bourbon costs more than $100 per bottle and can go for much more. The Buffalo Trace website says it is the top-rated bourbon whiskey in the world.

Police think the theft may have been an inside job
Oh, the humanity :!:
Taxes are the price we pay for a free society and to cover the responsibilities of the evaders
JamesVincent
A Councilor of the Kabosh

Re: Serious news

Post by JamesVincent »

They were talking about it on the news this morning driving to work. Very sad day here in Ky.
Disciple of the cross and champion in suffering
Immerse yourself into the kingdom of redemption
Pardon your mind through the chains of the divine
Make way, the shepherd of fire

Avenged Sevenfold "Shepherd of Fire"
Cathulhu
Order of the Quatloos, Brevet First Class

Post by Cathulhu »

I feel their pain.
Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to. T. Pratchett
Always be a moving target. L.M. Bujold
Duke2Earl
Eighth Operator of the Delusional Mooloo

Post by Duke2Earl »

I prefer scotch rather than bourbon. Still I also feel your pain and also saw this on the news.
My choice early in life was to either be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politican. And to tell the truth there's hardly any difference.

Harry S Truman
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

And the tragic part is that the ones who stole it probably don't even know what they have, and will have drunk it all by now.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
Number Six
Hereditary Margrave of Mooloosia

Post by Number Six »

Personally I have never understood the appeal of hard liquor; not so with red wine and quality unsweet beer, like thoroughly hopped IPAs which have a lot more going for them in health benefits and potential sociable aspects of them on the right occasions. Thieves usually need to fence their haul for a small % of market value, especially heavily regulated products like liquors and cigarettes.
'There are two kinds of injustice: the first is found in those who do an injury, the second in those who fail to protect another from injury when they can.' (Roman. Cicero, De Off. I. vii)

'Choose loss rather than shameful gains.' (Chilon Fr. 10. Diels)
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

Number Six wrote:Personally I have never understood the appeal of hard liquor; not so with red wine and quality unsweet beer, like thoroughly hopped IPAs which have a lot more going for them in health benefits and potential sociable aspects of them on the right occasions. Thieves usually need to fence their haul for a small % of market value, especially heavily regulated products like liquors and cigarettes.
The only hard liquor I ever got a taste for was rum, which I learned to like in Puerto Rico, 40 years ago. I prefer white wine to red (especially Rieslings); but Number Six and I have the same taste in beer. Since my son works for a Boston craft brewer, I get plenty of the latter at can't-resist prices.
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools