Really Strange Law Firm Commercial

A discussion of the better things in life, including music, the arts, wine, beer, cigars, scotch, gambling the Quatloosian way, travel, sports, and many other topics. [Political and religious discussions and the like should stay off-site.]
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Really Strange Law Firm Commercial

Post by wserra »

The very large (globally nearly 3000 lawyers), newly-merged UK law firm King & Wood Mallesons SJ Berwin has made what can only be described as a truly bizarre commercial.

One has to wonder what type of business they were looking to attract with this. Benny Hill fans?
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
AndyK
Illuminatian Revenue Supremo Emeritus

Re: Really Strange Law Firm Commercial

Post by AndyK »

Okay all you first-year associates:

Your first assignment is to take part in a wet t-shirt contest which will be taped and aired across the world.

Your second assignment will be to maintain credibility with your clients.
Taxes are the price we pay for a free society and to cover the responsibilities of the evaders
Dai Kiwi
Cannoneer
Cannoneer

Post by Dai Kiwi »

Forget about the Youtube comments. Tell them direct how you feel:
london@eu.kwm.com
syd@au.kwm.com
lon@mallesons.com
fortinbras
Princeps Wooloosia

Post by fortinbras »

Must admit it's a very strange commercial (with the Yakkety Sax music from Benny Hill). In the US, law firm commercials emphasize how hardworking the lawyers and staff are.
Arthur Rubin
Tupa-O-Quatloosia

Post by Arthur Rubin »

In my interviewing course, the instructor suggested tuning your presentation to the desires of the client. Now, I can't think of a particular client that presentation would be tuned to, but I can image some entertainment industry clients who might be interested -- perhaps Benny Hill actors (who think they are) cheated out of residuals?
Arthur Rubin, unemployed tax preparer and aerospace engineer
ImageJoin the Blue Ribbon Online Free Speech Campaign!

Butterflies are free. T-shirts are $19.95 $24.95 $29.95
Number Six
Hereditary Margrave of Mooloosia

Post by Number Six »

Client money at work? fostering the usual problem lawyer stereotypes, and add to those unserious, lackadaisical, and entertainment activities. It brings to mind Dennis Kozlowski in his last days....
'There are two kinds of injustice: the first is found in those who do an injury, the second in those who fail to protect another from injury when they can.' (Roman. Cicero, De Off. I. vii)

'Choose loss rather than shameful gains.' (Chilon Fr. 10. Diels)
littleroundman

Post by littleroundman »

As per the logo at the top of the teeshirt of the young lady in the last scene, (don't lie you guys, you didn't look that far up) they are definitely intent on achieving their stated aim of "defying stereotypes"

Given the British legal systems' adherence to its' Victorian era traditions, the ad could be seen as an attempt at humanizing the "law"

or, to put it another way, they are deliberately sticking it up the establishment.
wserra

Post by wserra »

littleroundman wrote:or, to put it another way, they are deliberately sticking it up the establishment.
I'm sure that's the way they intended it. Problem is, they - and their clients - are the establishment.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
fortinbras
Princeps Wooloosia

Post by fortinbras »

When I hire a lawyer or law firm, I want them burning the midnight oil working on the pleadings, not getting drunk and disorderly.
littleroundman

Post by littleroundman »

wserra wrote:
littleroundman wrote:or, to put it another way, they are deliberately sticking it up the establishment.
I'm sure that's the way they intended it. Problem is, they - and their clients - are the establishment.
Want to make a bet a trendy pitchman for an advertising agency convinced them "perception is everything" and the public perceives lawyers to be stuffy and out of touch" then followed up with: "Pay us a squillion pounds and we will change the publics' perception of your lawyers / law firm"
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

And they were dumb enough to believe that????

Doesn't sound like any law firm I would want to deal with, or really trust.

Thank you, I'll take my lawyers stuffy and properly British looking over sleazy and used car dealerish any day.

May just be my familial prejudices kicking in, but I don't see that going over well across the pond with the type of clientele a firm intent on surviving and having a good reputation would want, and I certainly can't see it working well on this side either.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.