David upgraded.... then sued...

A discussion of the better things in life, including music, the arts, wine, beer, cigars, scotch, gambling the Quatloosian way, travel, sports, and many other topics. [Political and religious discussions and the like should stay off-site.]
JamesVincent
A Councilor of the Kabosh

David upgraded.... then sued...

Post by JamesVincent »

Think this one goes under the seriously? category.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/m ... -1.1715702
ArmaLite's new advertisement features the Renaissance sculpture holding a rifle under the tagline of 'A work of art.' The Italian government has called the ad 'offensive' and 'completely illegal,' and has said it will take legal action against the Illinois-based arms maker if the ad is not pulled.
Italy's government is threatening legal action against a U.S. small arms company over an "offensive" advertisement showing Michelangelo's "David" holding a rifle.

Rome's culture minister Dario Franceschini has pleaded with Illinois-based ArmaLite to withdraw the promotion for a bolt-action rifle.
Thoughts? How do you "copyright" something that is several hundred years old?
Disciple of the cross and champion in suffering
Immerse yourself into the kingdom of redemption
Pardon your mind through the chains of the divine
Make way, the shepherd of fire

Avenged Sevenfold "Shepherd of Fire"
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Re: David upgraded.... then sued...

Post by wserra »

JamesVincent wrote:Think this one goes under the seriously? category.
Not completely.

EU law gives the creator a copyright for life plus seventy years. Michelangelo died (per Wiki) in 1564. It would thus seem that David has been public domain for a few years. However, under the copyright laws of most European countries, Italy included, every time you take a picture of or reproduce a work of art, it is a new work, and the copyright period is renewed as to the reproduction. That is not, however, the law in the U.S. To the extent that foreign law is different from U.S. law, courts have held that the Berne Convention does not require it to be followed. E.g., Bridgeman Art Library, Ltd. v. Corel Corp., 36 F.Supp.2d 191 (SDNY 1999).

So: I think that James is right, a suit would not succeed in the U.S. It would, however, in Europe.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
JamesVincent
A Councilor of the Kabosh

Re: David upgraded.... then sued...

Post by JamesVincent »

wserra wrote:
So: I think that James is right, a suit would not succeed in the U.S. It would, however, in Europe.
So how would that work against an American company?
Disciple of the cross and champion in suffering
Immerse yourself into the kingdom of redemption
Pardon your mind through the chains of the divine
Make way, the shepherd of fire

Avenged Sevenfold "Shepherd of Fire"