Karen Tappert Indicted

Discussion of various forms of Advance Fee Fraud, including application fees for loans that never materialize, self-liquidating loan scams, as well as mortgage elimination scams and related debt elimination scams [Nigerian-type scams should go in the Nigerian 4-1-9 forum]
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Karen Tappert Indicted

Post by wserra »

Scratch one of Demo's remaining sovereign gurus from the active list. I put the topic here because her scam was mortgage "elimination" by way of filing fraudulent documents. Clumsy fraudulent documents, at that. Docket 10-cr-286 (NV).

The indictment charges:
From in or about late 2007, to in or about November 2009, KAREN TAPPERT offered, by word of mouth, a mortgage rescue service, but the way she ''rescued'' mortgages was by recording fraudulent deeds that purported to convey the property from the true title holder to an entity that she controlled.
TAPPERT also engaged in a "Squatter's scheme'' whereby, she squatted on abandoned properties in which she had no ownership right. From in or around December 2009, to at least February 2010, TAPPERT found properties that had already been foreclosed upon, and filed fraudulent deeds that purported to convey the propedy from the true title holder to an entity that she controlled. TAPPERT gained use of the property and, if she could, either rented out the property - or sold it.
The indictment goes on to detail specific fraudulent transactions. It appears that people actually paid her to (at best) royally screw up their titles and (at worst) cost them their homes and perhaps their freedom. It also contains a couple of forfeiture counts; the Nevada PD represents her, so there may not be much to forfeit.

The govt sought and got her detention pending trial, somewhat unusual for a non-massive fraud. The findings of the M-J:
Based upon the information as set forth in the government’s proffer, as well as the information provided to the Court by Pretrial Services, the Court finds the defendant poses a substantial risk of nonappearance. The Pretrial Services report reflects the defendant has used aliases and possessed identification, credit cards and a social security card in names other than her own. The defendant lacks a verifiable residence and does not have stable employment or financial or property ties to this or any other community. Additionally, the defendant’s criminal history record reflects four outstanding warrants. The Court finds that there are no conditions or combination of conditions that the Court could fashion at this time that would reasonably assure the defendant’s appearance at future court proceedings, accordingly, the defendant is ordered detained pending trial.
Bye-bye.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Re: Karen Tappert Indicted

Post by grixit »

Hmm, i can see the movie version now. Starring Sandra Bullock. Or maybe Meg Ryan.

An FBI agent (Tom Cruise? Leonardo Di Caprio?) is given a confidential assignment: find a fugitive who escaped from prison. But wouldn't that be the US Marshals' job? Well yes-- except this fugitive didn't actually break out, she somehow managed to forge papers that caused the prison to be decommissioned and sold to a private developer. And incidently let all the prisoners out. While the marshals chase the other 380 women now on the loose, the FBI man has to find the fraudster.

Naturally there turns out to be more to the story. And in the end, the fed and the fugitive run off together to a tropical location without extradition.
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

So, I guess one could say Karen is finally tapped out.

There will be much wailing and anguishing over at Sui amongst her ardent followers, and trying to pretend it didn't happen.

One more guru bites it big time.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
wserra

Post by wserra »

In a quick docket check, I noticed that the Magistrate-Judge assigned to Tappert's case sua sponte recused himself. Since that doesn't happen every day, I checked the order. Here's what I found (October 13):
On September 17, 2010, a third party, on behalf of the Defendant Karen Tappert, attempted to file a lien against the undesigned (sic) Magistrate Judge with the Nevada Secretary of State.
If this can be tied to Tappert, they're going to throw away the key.

Oh, and Tappert was kind enough to notify the Court by this elegantly-scripted missive that she is discharging the federal defender who has represented her and that she is "appointing" as her attorney someone named "Seymour Muscatel". Personally, if I could choose, I'd prefer "Seymour Burgundy", but to each her own. A quick google of Mr. Muscatel yields this interesting document. I personally have little doubt that the Court will allow a scamming non-lawyer to represent her.

What a bunch of morons.
- David Hume
notorial dissent

Elegantly-scripted missive hardly comes close to describing it. I see she appoints Seymour as her "Power of Attorney, Attorney", like she isn't even sure that the terms mean.

This really shouldn't come as much of a surprise considering the line of snake oil she has been peddling the last few years. I am actually surprised that she waited this long to file the lien, that seems to be one of her stock in trades, and it could definitely blow up in her face considering what she is charged with and the Fed position on such things these days.

I am equally sure her "attorney" is of the Freedom Law School ilk, and will be summarily tossed as soon as they check credentials. I'm kind of surprised that she has been quiet all this time, I figured she would be filing all sorts of gibberish paper long before this.

Ah well, let the gibberish filings commence!!!!!
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
wserra

Post by wserra »

notorial dissent wrote:I am equally sure her "attorney" is of the Freedom Law School ilk, and will be summarily tossed as soon as they check credentials.
He'll never be "in" so as to be "tossed". He doesn't appear to be a lawyer.
Ah well, let the gibberish filings commence!!!!!
I'm sure they will. First, though, Tappert needs to be pro se, since they won't accept filings from a represented defendant.
- David Hume
notorial dissent

Well, I guess she didn't dot her eyes and do her smiley faces right then, or maybe she had the wrong color of crayon to r4c. I figure her ringer will at least make the attempt since she has gone to all the trouble to appoint him her power of attorney, attorney, at least for forms sake and then she can complain about being denied her counsel of choice. Like I said, I kind of thought she started at this a little late, since she's been in jail since sometime last Summer as I recall.
wserra

Post by wserra »

Docket entry from yesterday:
ORDER REGARDING TRIAL as to Karen Tappert: Jury Trial set for 12/7/2010 09:00 AM in LV Courtroom 7C before Judge Philip M. Pro. Calendar Call set for 12/1/2010 09:00 AM in LV Courtroom 7C before Judge Philip M. Pro. Exhibit List due by 12/1/2010. Proposed Voir Dire due by 12/1/2010. Proposed Jury Instructions due by 12/1/2010. Trial Briefs due by 12/1/2010. Signed by Judge Philip M. Pro on 11/19/2010
The Court is just ignoring her "appointment" of new "counsel". Good move. Moreover, we're getting to the point (if we haven't already reached it) where the Court will rule that she waited too long to file an application to go pro se.
- David Hume
notorial dissent

Good for Judge Pro, otherwise this will just turn into another paper blizzard wasting everyone's time. I'm still amazed that she waited this long to start the nonsense, maybe it took her this long to realize that the "fictional court" had her in a real jail cell.
wserra

Post by wserra »

On Tappert's motion, the Court has rescheduled the trial for March 1, 2011. Recall Tappert's handwritten "motion" to appoint a friend of hers as her attorney - sorry, "counsel"? Well, the MJ set it down for a hearing yesterday, calling it a "Motion for Appointment of Counsel". No entry in PACER yet.
- David Hume
rogfulton
Caveat Venditor
Location: No longer behind the satellite dish, second door along - in fact, not even in the same building.

Post by rogfulton »

Any updates?
"No man is above the law and no man is below it; nor do we ask any man's permission when we require him to obey it. Obedience to the law is demanded as a right; not asked as a favor."
- President Theodore Roosevelt
Prof
El Pontificator de Porceline Precepts

Post by Prof »

rogfulton wrote:Any updates?
She is now apparently happy with her real lawyer and has been set for trial in early June.
"My Health is Better in November."
Judge Roy Bean
Judge for the District of Quatloosia
Judge for the District of Quatloosia

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

Current counsel:

http://fumolaw.com/Osvaldo_Fumo.html

Curiosity led to this regarding forfeiture in the pending case:
... In addition to the properties listed in the forfeiture allegations,
the United States hereby gives notice that the following properties are subject to forfeiture:
A. The assets seized from 24/7 Private Vaults, 3110 E. Sunset Road, Las
Vegas, Nevada 89120 Vault #0055 on July 7, 2010:
a) 14K Necklace, 13.59 grams;
b) 14K Necklace, 74.14 grams;
c) 14K Necklace, 14.51 grams;
d) 18K Men's Wedding Band;
e) 14K Two tone Ladies Ring, 5.22 grams with .45 CT I Co;
f) 14K Yellow Gold, 5.70 grams, .25 CT Diamond J in Col;
g) Cluster Diamond Ring weighing 8.60 grams;
h) $135,000.00 in United States Currency;
i) 2,525,000 Iraqi Dinars; and
j) Collectable Coins itemized as follows:
i) Eighteen (18) Silver Dollars;
ii) Three (3) Indian Head Pennies years 1901, 1903, and 1907; and
iii) Two (2) Nickels years 1926 and 1937;
B. $11,657.95 in United States Currency seized from Karen L. Tappert on June
29, 2010, at the time of her arrest.
C. $8,500.00 in United States Currency turned over on September 29, 2010, to
the Federal Bureau of Investigation by Anis Abi Zeid who was holding cash
for Karen L. Tappert.
D. 2005 Black Mercedes Benz Coupe bearing California license 6LOV031,
VIN WDBTK75JX5F132543 seized on September 16, 2010.
E. Three Netspend Debit Cards seized on September 22, 2010, itemized list as
follows:
a) Netspend Account #***************;
b) Netspend Account #***************;
c) Netspend Account #***************;
F. $19,171.53 in United States Currency seized from Bank of America
Account #*****-***** in the name Panic Room Productions and Studios,
signer: Janice McClinton, on December 6, 2010.
Like Tappert, McClinton is a serial bankruptcy filer - anyone know the connection?
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three
wserra

Post by wserra »

They don't make TPs/sovruns like they used to. Where are the Irwin Schiffs, the Al Thompsons, the Dick Simkanins of the world, who used to go to trial? Yes, those were truly stupid and pointless gestures, but at least they provided us with entertainment.

Tappert has not only pleaded guilty. She has not only pleaded guilty to the entire indictment. She not only agreed to forfeit basically everything she owns. She has also agreed to cooperate with the ebil goobermint. She agreed to "provide complete and truthful information and testimony concerning her knowledge of aIl other persons who are committing or have committed offenses against the United States, and agrees to cooperate fully with the United States in the investigation and prosecution of such persons". To those who paid her to learn "the Karen Tappert method", you now know the unpublished last chapter of her book - if you get in trouble, throw your customers under the bus. Oops.

The govt's summary of her conduct, to which she admits as a condition of the plea:
From in or about late 2007, to in or about November 2009, Karen Tappert offered, by word of mouth, a mortgage rescue service, but the way she "rescued'' mortgages was by recording fraudulent deeds that purported to convey the property from the true title holder to an entlty that she controlled.
Tappert also engaged in a "squatter's scheme'' whereby she squatted on abandoned properties in which sbe had no ownership right. From in or around December 2009, to at least February 2010, Tappert found properties that had already been foreclosed upon, and filed fraudulent deeds that purported to convey the property from the true title holder to an entity that she controlled. Tappert gained use of the property and, if she could, either rented out the property or sold it.
Yet another Internet Rambo TP who turns into Brave Sir Robin. Sentencing set for October 24 - but probably won't happen then, because . . .

Over the last week, the bullshit began again, almost as though her inner sovrun dumbass retook control. A letter to the Nevada Chief Judge, in which she writes that she wants to withdraw the plea she just entered because "I truly believe with all my heart that Prosecutor Michael Chu, Special Agents with the FBI J. Roy Dampier, Scott Bakken and Ruben Hernandez, my present Defense attorney Osvaldo E. Fumo and Judge Foley are all conspiring to have me imprisoned so they can continue to help Predatory Lenders, Predatory Realtors and their Predatory Attorneys, continue to steal our homes". A stupid combination rant and "invoice" for the forfeited property. And other equally meaningless gibberish.

The govt can now tear up her plea agreement, oppose any "acceptance of responsibility" downward adjustment in the Guideline, and add in any relevant conduct which the agreement covered. The odds of her getting her plea back are slim to none.

Bye-bye.
- David Hume
notorial dissent

As someone said, "You can't fix stupid."
Lambkin
Warder of the Quatloosian Gibbet

Post by Lambkin »

My favorite part of the letter to Chief Justice Hunt:
I am still in litigation with several Predatory (Alleged) Lenders and their Predatory Attorneys from behind bars!
notorial dissent

In her fantasy world maybe, but isn't her track record 0 for all at this point, rather like another fantasylander we know??? I don't know why she thinks she is going to have any better luck with this round than she has with anything else as her efforts have all resulted in a big fat goose egg as far as I can determine.
notorial dissent

Well, if nothing else, she probably provided a little light amusement in an otherwise boring day, and has saved the AUSA the problem of having to work with her and they can now just go it and put her away for a very long long time since this should end any downward departures she might have otherwise gotten.

I wonder if it has dawned on her that she will very likely spend the rest of her life in prison at this point? Twould seem not from the tone of her current missives. I guess her mean old public defender hasn't explained just what she has done to herself to her in terms she can comprehend yet.
wserra

Post by wserra »

A couple of days ago, Tappert filed six "Default Notices" against the judge, the lawyers and the agents, all the same as this one against the AUSA. She claims that, since they failed to answer the stupid "invoices" she sent them for her forfeited stuff, they now all owe her enough to keep her in cigs and toiletries from the commissary for many years. The more of these she files, the more years she'll need to cover.

Now, however, she's brought out the heavy artillery: she reported all of this to Oprah.

In what's fast becoming one of our watchwords around here, you can't fix stupid.
- David Hume
notorial dissent

Has she had a complete break with reality, or is she just generally that delusional?

So I'm guessing no further special consideration from the prosecution at this point, and she will get the maximum sentences allowed, if not then some.

I think the maxim definitely applies here.