419 Nigerian Scam descended from old "Spanish Prisoner Scam"

Talk about the Nigerian 4-1-9 scam in all its many variations, such as bogus checks sent from Nigeria to purchase used cars in the U.S. and many other variations of this scam.
Parvati
Demigoddess of Volatile Benevolence

419 Nigerian Scam descended from old "Spanish Prisoner Scam"

Post by Parvati »

In an article at Forbes.com, Peter Reilly digs into the tax law archives and discovers that the 419 Nigerian Scam is really the internet-savvy child of the older "Spanish Prisoner" scam.

( Fraud Has No Nationality )
"The risk in becoming very intimate with a moldie Parvati is that she may unexpectedly become a Kali and take your head."--Rudy Rucker, Freeware
“Most men would kill the truth if truth would kill their religion.”--Lemuel K. Washburn.
Omne
Pirates Mate
Pirates Mate

Re: 419 Nigerian Scam descended from old "Spanish Prisoner S

Post by Omne »

Parvati wrote:In an article at Forbes.com, Peter Reilly digs into the tax law archives and discovers that the 419 Nigerian Scam is really the internet-savvy child of the older "Spanish Prisoner" scam.

( Fraud Has No Nationality )
I hate to say it but the link between those scams was publicized back in the 90s.
fortinbras
Princeps Wooloosia

Re: 419 Nigerian Scam descended from old "Spanish Prisoner S

Post by fortinbras »

Yes, Forbes is not the first. I had mentioned this some time ago and I realize that I couldn't have been the first to do so. The Nigerian scam falls into this enormous category of Advance Payment cons, this time spiced with the fact that the victim is lured into doing something shady (like cheating the Nigerian govt of its taxes) so that he is hesitant about going to the police. You can always find free cheese in a mousetrap.

Incidentally, there was a David Mamet movie titled The Spanish Prisoner in 1998, with Steve Martin, Rebecca Pidgeon, Ricky Jay, Ed O'Neill, et al., about another, very elaborate, high-tech, scam. At one point the ongoing scam is likened to the Spanish Prisoner swindle ... but in fact it is not, it more closely resembles the old swindles known as the Pigeon Drop and the Bank Examiner.