Booking band for wedding - Overpayment scam

Talk about the Nigerian 4-1-9 scam in all its many variations, such as bogus checks sent from Nigeria to purchase used cars in the U.S. and many other variations of this scam.
Don'tfoolmeevenonce

Booking band for wedding - Overpayment scam

Post by Don'tfoolmeevenonce »

Like eveyone else, I receive obvious scams all the time, but this one I actually engaged. I manage a band and it is not uncommon for us to receive email requests for quotes for private events. It seemed a little odd that the blissful bride was both traveling abroad and had a hearing disability that required her to limit contact to email until she returns to the US in two weeks. So, I sent her a contract and asked for a 50% deposit as we customarily do.

I have now received the "accidental overpayment" scam email. Of course, I advised her that we would NOT be depositing her check, we would return it to the sender and that the date would not be booked without the correct deposit which is non-refundable.

The email header traces the original email to Nigeria.

So, there you have it. I wonder how many other bands the "bride" has booked?
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Re: Booking band for wedding - Overpayment scam

Post by notorial dissent »

Don'tfoolmeevenonce welcome to Quatloos.

Definitely one I hadn't heard before. A common enough scam, but that is definitely a new twist. Equally sure the check would have bounced. Ask for a wire transfer c/o your bank next time and see what happens, other than the resounding sounds of silence.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
Don'tfoolmeevenonce

Post by Don'tfoolmeevenonce »

What worries me is that I am not the typical band member or manager. I am a lawyer by profession and happen to manage a band as a side gig because I love music and these musicians in particular.

Most people I know who are musicians or managers are very trusting individuals and do not operate in the general business world. And, in our prior experience booking hundreds of gigs, we have NEVER had a problem with dishonesty or not being paid as agreed. I would imagine that this would be others' experience as well -- which means that this is not a community that is likely aware of the proliferation of the "overpayment" scam and, therefore, would be an easy target.

I love what you all do here on Quatloos and have been a lurker for some time. This is the first time I have heard of this scam and I fear for those who may not have the same level of knowledge about these things. I figured that the least I could do was spread the word.

I did send the email on to the "Economic and Financial Crimes Commission" of the Nigerian government http://www.efccnigeria.org/efcc/as I had traced the IP address to that country in the hope that it might aid in any pending investigation they may have ongoing. Ever had any experience with them?
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Post by wserra »

Don'tfoolmeevenonce wrote:the "Economic and Financial Crimes Commission" of the Nigerian government . . . Ever had any experience with them?
Actually, yes. Following a complaint I sent them a couple of years ago, I got a reply telling me that they could seize $5M for me from the particular scammer. I just had to send them a ten percent fee first.

Welcome to Q, DFMEO.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
AndyK
Illuminatian Revenue Supremo Emeritus

Post by AndyK »

With respect to reporting scams to the Nigerian government, it's important to remember that:

(1) Foreign funds received from these scam operations are a significant portion of Nigeria's international trade and are a major source of foreign currencies for the country.

(2) The corruption within the Nigerian government -- at all levels -- defies description. After all, why should a regulatory official do his job when he can get a significant percentage of scam proceeds for just looking the other way?
Taxes are the price we pay for a free society and to cover the responsibilities of the evaders
Burnaby49
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians

Post by Burnaby49 »

I remember reading an Onion spoof headline along the lines of:

"Internet Shuts Down For 12 Hours, Nigerian Economy Collapses!"
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeI-J2PhdGs