SCAM or other??

Talk about the Nigerian 4-1-9 scam in all its many variations, such as bogus checks sent from Nigeria to purchase used cars in the U.S. and many other variations of this scam.
8realestate

SCAM or other??

Post by 8realestate »

Hello,

I need help to understand if this is scam or not. I recived an email from Nigeria from a man that wants to buy a property in my coutry. I am a real estate agent and he contacted me through an ad on a classifield. He didn't asked any money and told me he only needs that I recive cash money in my county. Afther I recive it he would come and sign all documents needed and register a company for sign in the ownership.
There is nothing unlegal in this. But afther he come I will need to give a report to the Office for Combating Money Laundering if he want to pay in cash to the seller. Except if he put the money on his company account and pay the purchase price for the property by bank wire transfer. In that case the bank can report if he put a big ammount on the account and exceeds some dayly limits.
I am confused as he told he can't send the money by bank because of some Nigerian problems.
But why would this be a scam?
What can I expect now?
Anybody recived an email like this?

I mean, what can happen if I go ahead with this? I would like to try but only to recive the money in my country without pay a penny extra. And later I'll do everything by law.
8realestate

Re: SCAM or other??

Post by 8realestate »

LOL, I found out that it is a scam. They told me later the money will be delivered in a box and asked me to pay 500 USD for a keym that will open the box.
It is intersting how they sounds on the telephone. From my side they sounds really stupid and bad english, good psychologists for stupid people. When you ask them something to explain better, they are like angry, but just a little bit and altered the voice. :snicker:

They promised me an award or 1.75 milion $ for recive 7 milion $ (25%).
The entitled person is Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu, ex governor of Nigeria. He gave himself a title Chief (similar to Thief). He told me like he earned that money from a contract assigned by him to a UK company and the 7 milion is an award.
I can't belive some people will go to pay the 500 $ really.

I have contacted the real email of Bola Tinubu and I told him about this so he can block that emails in future. Be aware of this emails and names:

Mr Calvin Adamson / GOUDEN FINANCE & BANKING (London, UK), "447529300605"
gfb at myway dot com

Chief Bola Ahmed Tinubu
bolahtinubu at gmail dot com
harobed11 at yahoo dot com
herdadr4 at yahoo dot com
"234-818-802-4560"
"44-702-405-9874"

Minor editing of e-mail addresses and phone numbers. AndyK
fortinbras
Princeps Wooloosia

Post by fortinbras »

I am not certain if the foregoing is not, itself, a set-up for an attempted scam here. Something on the order of "I warned you once about a (totally obvious & amateurish) swindle, so you can trust me when I tell you to send your money to ...."

One thing for sure. People are STILL losing money with the Nigerian fraud, which is just a tiny updating of the very old (the name is at least a century old) Spanish Prisoner fraud. And the genuine Nigerian govt law enforcement is ineffective to get their money back (for a variety of reasons including how little sympathy the Nigerian govt has for people who were swindled while trying to cheat the same Nigerian govt on its taxes).
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

fortinbras wrote:I am not certain if the foregoing is not, itself, a set-up for an attempted scam here.
What has me supsicious is this:
It is intersting how they sounds on the telephone. From my side they sounds really stupid and bad english, good psychologists for stupid people.
The fact that the poster's entries suffer from "bad english" as well, yet he/she is well aware that the e-mail has poor command of the English language is either prime evidence of a developing scam or else just a qualifier for Most Oblivious Real Estate Agent Of The Year Award.

We should keep a close eye on this one.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
KickahaOta
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Post by KickahaOta »

What primal force is it that repeatedly brings scammers and crackpot tax gurus to a forum that's specifically dedicated to exposing and mocking scammers and crackpot tax gurus?

(Not saying that the OP in this thread falls into this category; just reading through old threads and pondering the nature of the universe.)
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

KickahaOta wrote:What primal force is it that repeatedly brings scammers and crackpot tax gurus to a forum that's specifically dedicated to exposing and mocking scammers and crackpot tax gurus?

(Not saying that the OP in this thread falls into this category; just reading through old threads and pondering the nature of the universe.)
My guess is that two factors are at work. Either the scammers/crackpots want to be able to brag, to their circle-jerk friends, that they entered the Quatloosian lions' den and laid down the facts to us (but oh, how we wouldn't listen), or they are so deficient in English language reading and comprehension ability that they think that we are perfect targets for their pitches.
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
AndyK
Illuminatian Revenue Supremo Emeritus

Post by AndyK »

Third option ?

They use (very ineptly) Internet search engines to go after their various key words of interest and then proceed to infest the sites which rise to the top of the lists.
Taxes are the price we pay for a free society and to cover the responsibilities of the evaders
fortinbras
Princeps Wooloosia

Post by fortinbras »

KickahaOta wrote:What primal force is it that repeatedly brings scammers and crackpot tax gurus to a forum that's specifically dedicated to exposing and mocking scammers and crackpot tax gurus?
There is a particular sense of achievement that comes of successfully flimflamming experts who are supposedly the most solid watchdogs against that very sort of flimflam. Much as Mensa has been afflicted with con artists over the decades, who seem to get a particular joy from separating people who consider themselves uncommonly clever from their money.
Number Six
Hereditary Margrave of Mooloosia

Post by Number Six »

Money has never grown on trees, or in this case been generated, honestly, by the sick and desperate puppies hanging out in a Nigerian internet cafe. BTW, why can't we train a drone on their physical location or drop a bunker buster on their well-targeted whereabouts? I seriously doubt that there would be many complaining at the UN with the smoke of the demolition rising to the sky.

You could try this ploy, which I have tried, good for a few laughs but then you may get more of their buddies emailing you. Give them some of their own medicine. Say that you are the recipient of a substantial windfall from illegal or stolen activity and need someone in Nigeria and a bank there to transfer to and you will give them a million or several million and see if they bite.
'There are two kinds of injustice: the first is found in those who do an injury, the second in those who fail to protect another from injury when they can.' (Roman. Cicero, De Off. I. vii)

'Choose loss rather than shameful gains.' (Chilon Fr. 10. Diels)
8realestate

Post by 8realestate »

:lol: Good idea, but I don't have time for that.
Last few days they call me few times a day. First emails was send to my by a classifield for real estate and I couldn't know that is scam. I have my signature in every email where is written all my agency data, including mobile phone number. That is how they get it.
I don't want to pick up the phone one more time... Or mabe I should do that?
I can tell them I am working on collection needed money asking people 1 USD every day but as I have other currency in my country I get only 1 kuna that is about 15-20 cents. And calculationg that way they can try to call me again in two years. :roll:
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

So 8real estate is Croatian?
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
Number Six
Hereditary Margrave of Mooloosia

Post by Number Six »

All scams like this one today:

ATTN:MOST URGENT
My name is Mr Andy Barry,I am a FBI foreign agent here in Nigeria,We

discover
your funds the sum of $8.5 Million United State Dollars.

All I need from you now is to provide me your home address and

telephone
number and also let me know how you need your funds, is it check or

cash? You can call me now for more details: +234-708-610-3780
Waiting for your urgent response,

Regards.
Mr Andy Barry
FBI Foreign Agent

Response:

Dear Sir;

I am very glad to read this. Perhaps you can help me.

I have $25 million US dollars and $31 million Euros from various types of illegal activity; drug running, extortion, money laundering, organized crime, kill for hire jobs, etc.. Unfortunately the US authorities have me on their most wanted list, so I travel quite a bit, had plastic surgery and changed my name and am heavily armed. I would like to transfer $59 million dollars to your country and would pay you $2 million to do it. I can be reached at this email address and look forward to your swift response.
'There are two kinds of injustice: the first is found in those who do an injury, the second in those who fail to protect another from injury when they can.' (Roman. Cicero, De Off. I. vii)

'Choose loss rather than shameful gains.' (Chilon Fr. 10. Diels)