Scheduled Forum Maintenance

This is a message forum open to the public to make comments about Quatloos! and for suggestions meant to improve the website.
webhick
Illuminati Obfuscation: Black Ops Div

Scheduled Forum Maintenance

Post by webhick »

I'll be doing a phpBB upgrade this week. The forum will be totally inaccessible during this time. I know I usually do upgrades at night (when it's quiet), but my work schedule isn't amenable to that.

Those of you using Absolution will be thrown back into the default Quatloos theme until I can bring Absolution into the new version. I'll make a list of those using it so I can move you back when it becomes available again.
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
AndyK
Illuminatian Revenue Supremo Emeritus

Re: Scheduled Forum Maintenance

Post by AndyK »

Just provide the over/under time frames, please, so we can make appropriate drinking plans.

Other than that, you are the Goddess Of The Web Page and your words are truth.

Thanks for handling all this nonsense in your "spare" time.
Taxes are the price we pay for a free society and to cover the responsibilities of the evaders
webhick

Post by webhick »

I downloaded the database late last week and did a test-upgrade and it took about 20 minutes. The server will likely take less time since it has more power behind it. Uploading the files usually takes about half an hour. So let's call it an hour for everyone to get totally wasted.
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
LordEd
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Post by LordEd »

So in other words infinitely more efficient than the DIF admins taking the whole site down for weeks.
webhick

Post by webhick »

LordEd wrote:So in other words infinitely more efficient than the DIF admins taking the whole site down for weeks.
That's just sad.
webhick

Post by webhick »

Ugh. That took longer than expected. But we're back. The template is not fully tested, so let me know if something doesn't look right.
webhick

Post by webhick »

Like the "Online" icon. ::smh::
AndyK
Illuminatian Revenue Supremo Emeritus

Post by AndyK »

Did the "Mark All Posts Read" vanish?
Taxes are the price we pay for a free society and to cover the responsibilities of the evaders
NYGman

Post by NYGman »

Everything looks soooooo big now, did font type/size change too??
The Hardest Thing in the World to Understand is Income Taxes -Albert Einstein

Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose - As sung by Janis Joplin (and others) Written by Kris Kristofferson and Fred Foster.
webhick

Post by webhick »

The forum is wider.

And yes, the font is bigger. I heard that we're all half-blind.
NYGman

Post by NYGman »

webhick wrote:The forum is wider.

And yes, the font is bigger. I heard that we're all half-blind.
Anyway to adjust the font for those that still can see??

Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose - As sung by Janis Joplin (and others) Written by Kris Kristofferson and Fred Foster.
webhick

Post by webhick »

Better?
Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey »

It's far too wide IMO
LordEd

Post by LordEd »

It renders better on my phone for reading, except there is a pirate flag with a black square background covering the pirate mascot.
longdog

Post by longdog »

Lovely job webhick... Thanks.

Love the new posts lightning bolt 8)
JULIAN: I recommend we try Per verulium ad camphorum actus injuria linctus est.
SANDY: That's your actual Latin.
HORNE: What does it mean?
JULIAN: I dunno - I got it off a bottle of horse rub, but it sounds good, doesn't it?
NYGman

Post by NYGman »

webhick wrote:Better?
yes, I Think...

slowsmile

Post by slowsmile »

LordEd wrote:So in other words infinitely more efficient than the DIF admins taking the whole site down for weeks.
Yes, but they also had to remove all traces of libel against Richard Warman.

http://www.richardwarman.ca/
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

Well, I will admit that on first impression it was a bit jarring. I think the size and change in the width format seemed to play off each other. Otherwise, it seems to be working exactly as before, which is to say I'm not having to relearn the board, which is to me a great plus, and actually seems to be moving much more quickly and responding better.

The only thing I don't seem to be able to figure out is how to get to the search function from the main index.

At any rate Webhick, thx so very much, a lot of work done well and quickly, painless at this end at any rate.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
webhick

Post by webhick »

AndyK wrote:Did the "Mark All Posts Read" vanish?
It's at the top of each forum list/topic list, below the header on the right hand side.
notorial dissent wrote:The only thing I don't seem to be able to figure out is how to get to the search function from the main index.
The search box near Tony's head has a gear button. That'll bring you to the advanced search.
Jeffrey wrote:It's far too wide IMO
This is the new standard for the forum software and will automagically adjust to window size, unlike the last one.
LordEd wrote:It renders better on my phone for reading, except there is a pirate flag with a black square background covering the pirate mascot.
Hehehe, I forgot to check it out on mobile devices. I'll add it to my list of fixes. Along with the "Online" icon, the miscoloring in the notifications box, the "Find a member" for PMs (which is 400 shades of messed up but usable), the missing quote marks in the quote boxes, and the Advanced Search button which likes to get more junk in its trunk when you hover over it.

We also encountered a large issue this morning. The search indexes were removed during the upgrade and I added them back last night with no problems so I thought everything was okay. But today I saw a huge slowdown on the forum and sure enough the error log is throwing up over the indexes. So I removed the search index and everything is zippy again. It's a known bug in the software and will require a manual rebuild. I don't think I'll have to bring the board down again, but I will as a precaution.
Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey »

The thingy at the top doesn't shrink below a certain threshold, looks ugly, but it's not a dealbreaker.