Scheduled Forum Maintenance

This is a message forum open to the public to make comments about Quatloos! and for suggestions meant to improve the website.
webhick
Illuminati Obfuscation: Black Ops Div

Re: Scheduled Forum Maintenance

Post by webhick »

notorial dissent wrote:Webhick, I may be misremembering, but I thought there was a way to tell which version of phpbb was running on a given site, but I can't for the life of me figure it out now.
Not any more. That's a security risk. In any event, Area51 is easier, since they're the devel forum for phpbb, and therefore runs the bleeding edge.
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

OK, just nice to know that the senility isn't kicking in. I know that Fogbow just recently updated to what was current around the first of the year, and I have no problems there, and I checked Area51 and don't have any issues at least that I can identify although their themes seem sharper/harsher than ours do.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
Burnaby49
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians

Post by Burnaby49 »

webhick wrote:I believe that Area51 uses the most recent version of phpbb, so if that works for you then you should be mostly fine.
Finally, in my tech illiterate way, I got what you meant. I thought you were referring me to the site's content (total gibberish to me) when you were referring me to the visual presentation. It works fine for me so I assume the new version of Quatloos will too.
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeI-J2PhdGs
webhick

Post by webhick »

On Friday, March 16th sometime after 8PM Eastern, this forum will go down for maintenance. During which, I will be flipping a switch that might actually break the forum. I'm thinking that it may not, but :shrug:. It'll be fine, trust me :twisted: .

We should be right as rain by the next morning, but I ask that no one get their penises caught on anything sharp while I tinker under the hood.
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
Burnaby49

Post by Burnaby49 »

We should be right as rain by the next morning, but I ask that no one get their penises caught on anything sharp while I tinker under the hood.
Good advice regardless of maintenance issues.
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

Chaos
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Post by Chaos »

webhick

Post by webhick »

Well, that was awful. There's some pages on the Classic Quatloos area that need love (replacing deprecated functions) but I need sleep. Post here with any problems and I'll deal with them after I get up.
Burnaby49

Post by Burnaby49 »

Blue! Why are the topic bars blue? I use the classic Quatloos style and I love the slime green I've grown used to. Sorry, I'm old and querulous. I hate change. I've been married 40 years, lived in the same house for 39 years, held exactly the same job for 35 years, lived in the same city all my life. And now that I've retired life is tranquil. Then blue title bars! Apologies again. Must keep perspective. Thanks for the work, looks good . . . . . except . . . .

On a quick glance I just tried to make a new topic post with internet links and found that some of the command boxes have lost their names and instead have symbols. The URL box now has what looks like two links in a chain. Font colour is a teardrop. WILL I HAVE TO LEARN SYMBOLS? I suppose I can, somehow, handle it. just like, one day, I'll have to stop using Windows XP.

webhick

Post by webhick »

I have some tweaks that I need to do to the design, but there shouldn't be any blue title bars. I'll look into whatever backwards compatibility setting might be causing it.

If you hover over the buttons, it'll tell you what they do.

If it makes you feel any better, Edge has mysteriously dropped most of the topic icons. It worked locally, so that should be fun to figure out.

ETA: Edge is worse than I originally thought.
Burnaby49

Post by Burnaby49 »

Go to bed. Blue can wait. It's 3:08AM here which means it's 6:08 on the eastern seaboard. One of my dreams on retirement was to never get up at 6AM again. In a way it worked. I get up at 5:15AM half the working week now.

notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

Not to be the voice of negativity, but well, I'm currently using Edge cause reasons and if it weren't for the different icons I wouldn't have noticed. I haven't noticed anything and I'm usually the one it happens to. Sorry it was such a b***.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
Burnaby49

Post by Burnaby49 »

Actually a blue title bar starts looking ok after a night's sleep.

webhick

Post by webhick »

Which title bar is blue?
Burnaby49

Post by Burnaby49 »

webhick wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:41 pm Which title bar is blue?
The ones with the word "Topic". For example if I go to the 'New Posts' section of 'Board Index' I have a bar at the top of the list with the words 'Topics' 'Replies' 'Views' and 'Last Post' running across it which correspond to the columns. That bar is now bright blue.

But I've figured out why you don't get the blue scheme. I'm special. I may be the only Quatloos regular that has the blue bar feature because I favour ancient computer technology. I access Q through Internet Explorer 8, last updated in 2009. When I accessed the topic bars using Fire Fox and Chrome I get the same muddy dark brown I've had in the past. Blue is only a feature in IE8. There are actually very few wesites left that can be accesses through IE8. I'm assuming Q is one because it is so basic and has no visual gimmicks like videos.

Burnaby49

Post by Burnaby49 »

I've actually run across a substantive problem but probably one not solveable because it also seems to relate to my use of XP. I just posted this new discussion;

I initially tried, as always, to write it up and post it through XP but it was impossible. The mouse pointer wouldn't fix on where I tried to put it but jumped all over the place. I couldn't use the "insert URL" or "Quote text" functions because I couldn't highlight text to cut and paste. In the end I gave up and did it in Fire Fox where it worked fine.

webhick

Post by webhick »

The forum software dropped support for IE 8, which explains why it's not rendering or working properly.
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Post by wserra »

In order to get current phpBB (or virtually anything else) to work with IE8, your input device needs to be clay tablets inscribed with cuneiform.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
Burnaby49

Post by Burnaby49 »

Please, there's no reason to be so offensive. I'm far more up to date than you mockingly imply. I use a quill pen.

webhick

Post by webhick »

I have the next week off from school and I have literally no homework this weekend, so I'm looking to do a site upgrade thereabouts. Exactly when, I don't know. It all depends on if the scratch monkey lives.

As always, try not to stick your penises on anything sharp. Unless that's your thing. I'm not judging.

Freak.
webhick

Post by webhick »

I had a bit of unexpected free time this evening so I decided to do a really quick upgrade. So, if you tried to view the site in the last two hours or so, that's why it went down.