Scheduled Forum Maintenance

This is a message forum open to the public to make comments about Quatloos! and for suggestions meant to improve the website.
Burnaby49
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians

Re: Scheduled Forum Maintenance

Post by Burnaby49 »

webhick wrote:When the host upgraded the database from mysql 4 to 5 a while back, the tables didn't quite convert properly. It's fairly common. Upgrading phpBB didn't fix the problem, since it doesn't even look for it. I reset the database schemas. Should work fine now.
Thanks, I'll give it a shot. The error was stopping me from posting on my latest pathetic pair of Canadian morons. They deserve my attention.
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeI-J2PhdGs
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

I have discovered since the conversion that the software does not seem to like formatting instructions, particularly the bold [ b ] [ /b ] command, on several occasions I have put it in, gone to save my post, and there will be black flash, I don't know what else to call it, over the posting area, and when it is done the bold command is gone from the text. I won't say it is consistent, but it has happened often enough for me to be aware of it, and to check my posts before I close the screen now. It doesn't seem to matter if you preview or not.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
webhick
Illuminati Obfuscation: Black Ops Div

Post by webhick »

I downloaded and installed your version of Firefox. It did not exhibit the same behavior. Probably because I still have my current version installed. One seems to affect the other, even though it shouldn't. For instance the old version clobbered my profile (good thing for backups) and now makes viewing the forum in the new Firefox highly...annoying.

So now I will need to remove the old one without fully clobbering my new one. I will never install Firefox 3 again. NEVER AGAIN.

Unless someone else is experiencing the same behavior and I can recreate it without wrecking my ability to function, I will just need to shrug and say: I am unable provide adequate support for a seven year old browser.
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Post by wserra »

Firefox is my browser of choice. I'm using it now - version 38.0.5, that is. Looks and works great.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
Burnaby49

Post by Burnaby49 »

wserra wrote:Firefox is my browser of choice. I'm using it now - version 38.0.5, that is. Looks and works great.
Same version I use when Internet Explorer isn't up to the job. I'm finally, after about 12 years or so, going to have to abandon Windows XP because it can't handle newer versions of various programs. So I'm waiting for the roll-out of Windows 10. I'll let the early adopters work out the bugs and buy a new computer sometime early next year.
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

Arthur Rubin
Tupa-O-Quatloosia

Post by Arthur Rubin »

Burnaby49 wrote:I'll let the early adopters work out the bugs and buy a new computer sometime early next year.
It's important to let Microsoft's designated alpha testers (early adopters) do their job.
Arthur Rubin, unemployed tax preparer and aerospace engineer
ImageJoin the Blue Ribbon Online Free Speech Campaign!

Butterflies are free. T-shirts are $19.95 $24.95 $29.95
JamesVincent
A Councilor of the Kabosh

Post by JamesVincent »

I get 10 at the end of the month, can't wait to fool with it.

The new "online" icon doesn't so much look like an eye, more like the aliens have finally figured out how to track us online.
Disciple of the cross and champion in suffering
Immerse yourself into the kingdom of redemption
Pardon your mind through the chains of the divine
Make way, the shepherd of fire

Avenged Sevenfold "Shepherd of Fire"
webhick

Post by webhick »

phpBB is up to 3.1.8, so I'm fixing to do another upgrade sometime over the next few days. The forum will go down. It will come back up. Usually within the same century.

Try not to get your penises caught on anything sharp during the outage.
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
Burnaby49

Post by Burnaby49 »

webhick wrote:phpBB is up to 3.1.8, so I'm fixing to do another upgrade sometime over the next few days. The forum will go down. It will come back up. Usually within the same century.

Try not to get your penises caught on anything sharp during the outage.
Thank you for that sage advice. Something to keep in mind regardless of Quatloos upgrading activities.

webhick

Post by webhick »

Oh, I also created a github repository for the theme, like almost a year ago. Anyone wishing to do a recolor can use it as their base and inherit from it, just as it inherits from the proSilver theme.

Or you can go off the rails and start a new one entirely and inherit from proSilver directly. If you throw it up on github then let me know so I can follow the project and get code updates.
NYGman
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Post by NYGman »

The current theme has grown on me over the past few years. While at first it was it bit jarring to my eye, not being fan of the Green/yellow spectrum, i now find it quite soothing. Occasionally it loads with just the silver (When network congestion is high, and pages are not loading correctly) and the site doesn't look right. SO to me, this theme is Quatloos, until you decide to change it, that is :)
The Hardest Thing in the World to Understand is Income Taxes -Albert Einstein

Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose - As sung by Janis Joplin (and others) Written by Kris Kristofferson and Fred Foster.
Burnaby49

Post by Burnaby49 »

webhick wrote:Oh, I also created a github repository for the theme, like almost a year ago. Anyone wishing to do a recolor can use it as their base and inherit from it, just as it inherits from the proSilver theme.

Or you can go off the rails and start a new one entirely and inherit from proSilver directly. If you throw it up on github then let me know so I can follow the project and get code updates.
I want the same old theme I've used since I started on Quatloos. None of this gaudy new-fangled PooSilver for me.

webhick

Post by webhick »

Upgrade complete.
wserra

Post by wserra »

Thanks, web, as always.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

Yes, thanks, indeedy. I would hate to think what this place would be like without your technical prowess.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
webhick

Post by webhick »

We're currently experiencing some issues. Apparently, someone stuck his penis on something sharp while we were down on Friday.
Burnaby49

Post by Burnaby49 »

webhick wrote:We're currently experiencing some issues. Apparently, someone stuck his penis on something sharp while we were down on Friday.
Webhick is, of course, referring to me. I couldn't log in after last week's upgrade so I whined and whined until she took action to fix it. That somehow resulted in the whole site crashing for a while.

grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Post by grixit »

wew! glad we're back. but i wish there had been some warning outside this section. the site runs so well most of the time, i've never seen a need to monitor topics here.

also, if i were to try making my own theme (i really prefer blue), how would i load it?
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4
webhick

Post by webhick »

grixit wrote:wew! glad we're back. but i wish there had been some warning outside this section. the site runs so well most of the time, i've never seen a need to monitor topics here.

also, if i were to try making my own theme (i really prefer blue), how would i load it?
I'd have to upload and install it, which is no big deal.
grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Post by grixit »

ok, i'll pm you when i'm ready
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4