Scheduled Forum Maintenance

This is a message forum open to the public to make comments about Quatloos! and for suggestions meant to improve the website.
webhick
Illuminati Obfuscation: Black Ops Div

Re: Scheduled Forum Maintenance

Post by webhick »

Site will be going down for another version upgrade sometime within the next week.

Again, try to keep your penises away from sharp objects during the outage. I'm looking specifically at you, pink beaver.
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
AndyK
Illuminatian Revenue Supremo Emeritus

Post by AndyK »

OMG :!: England will be going into massive shock.
Taxes are the price we pay for a free society and to cover the responsibilities of the evaders
Burnaby49
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians

Post by Burnaby49 »

Do you see my avatar sporting a penis? DO YOU? And, thank you no, there's no need to provide one.
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeI-J2PhdGs
webhick

Post by webhick »

Wow, kind of a major upgrade, actually.

Some relevant features, ripped from the phpBB site:
  • Thanks to our brand-new BBCode parser your users can now make use of the entire Emoji keyboard when posting on your board. From a lovely grin to a pink unicorn, Emoji can liven up all posts on your board!
  • We've improved the quoting system to show a link to the quoted post and post author. The full time and date of the quoted post is now also available to get all the information in one glance.
  • With us completely refactoring the notifications system in phpBB 3.2, notifications now work faster and more efficiently. This change also reduces the posting time to be almost instantaneous.
  • Using CSS driven icons from FontAwesome, we now have more intuitive icons with retina quality all across phpBB as well as considerably improving the speed of page loads.
The FontAwesome addition might require some major theme updates (no complaints, I love FontAwesome).
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
webhick

Post by webhick »

Burnaby49 wrote:Do you see my avatar sporting a penis? DO YOU? And, thank you no, there's no need to provide one.
And you know why it's not sporting a penis? BECAUSE YOU STUCK IT ON SOMETHING SHARP DURING THE LAST UPGRADE.
Burnaby49

Post by Burnaby49 »

webhick wrote:
Burnaby49 wrote:Do you see my avatar sporting a penis? DO YOU? And, thank you no, there's no need to provide one.
And you know why it's not sporting a penis? BECAUSE YOU STUCK IT ON SOMETHING SHARP DURING THE LAST UPGRADE.
I'm 68 in a few months. No loss.
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

AndyK
Illuminatian Revenue Supremo Emeritus

Post by AndyK »

webhick wrote:
  • Thanks to our brand-new BBCode parser your users can now make use of the entire Emoji keyboard when posting on your board. From a lovely grin to a pink unicorn, Emoji can liven up all posts on your board!
  • We've improved the quoting system to show a link to the quoted post and post author. The full time and date of the quoted post is now also available to get all the information in one glance.
  • With us completely refactoring the notifications system in phpBB 3.2, notifications now work faster and more efficiently. This change also reduces the posting time to be almost instantaneous.
  • Using CSS driven icons from FontAwesome, we now have more intuitive icons with retina quality all across phpBB as well as considerably improving the speed of page loads.
Man, I love it when she talks dirty.
Taxes are the price we pay for a free society and to cover the responsibilities of the evaders
Burnaby49

Post by Burnaby49 »

AndyK wrote:
webhick wrote:
The British posters can finally show a unicorn when they talk about Tom Crawford's warrant.

The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

Thanks, webhick, for implementing these changes. I look forward to them.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Post by Famspear »

AndyK wrote:
webhick wrote:
I just wish I could understand what she's saying when she talks dirty.
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

Famspear wrote:I just wish I could understand what she's saying when she talks dirty.
You know you love it though. :snicker:
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
webhick

Post by webhick »

Well, that failed.

Waiting for the webmaster to tweak a config setting and then we'll be off and running on the upgrade adventure again.

And today's important lesson: Always mount a scratch monkey!
Burnaby49

Post by Burnaby49 »

If the new upgrade doesn't work on Internet Explorer and XP I'm screwed.

bmxninja357
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Post by bmxninja357 »

maybe this will help burnaby49,

http://winaero.com/blog/get-windows-xp- ... r-patches/

peace,
ninj
whoever said laughter is the best medicine never had gonorrhea....
webhick

Post by webhick »

I believe that Area51 uses the most recent version of phpbb, so if that works for you then you should be mostly fine.
Burnaby49

Post by Burnaby49 »

webhick wrote:I believe that Area51 uses the most recent version of phpbb, so if that works for you then you should be mostly fine.
I opened that up and have no idea whatever what it is.

Eventually, one day, kicking and screaming, I'll be forced to buy a new computer and upgrade my computer programs to the 21st century. I'm finding that many programs, particularly online sites, are shutting me out. Wikipedia keeps giving me the boot telling me I'm one of the less than 00.08% of their users still using XP.

What can I say? I hate change.

Burnaby49

Post by Burnaby49 »

My mistake. It was 0.2%;
HTTPS: Browser Recommendations

From Wikitech
If you were redirected to this page while trying to view a Wiki page, this is because your browser is severely outdated in network security terms. Requests from browsers using such outdated cryptography amount to less than 0.2% of all traffic to our sites.

Chaos

Post by Chaos »

wonder if burnaby will be able to post.
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

Webhick, I may be misremembering, but I thought there was a way to tell which version of phpbb was running on a given site, but I can't for the life of me figure it out now.

At any rate I think Fogbow is running the latest version, they updated a while back when their old system crapped out on them and the builder couldn't fix the mess they'd made with a change, and in fact made things even worse.

Burnaby, FWIW, I think I've got you beat on systems.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
Burnaby49

Post by Burnaby49 »

notorial dissent wrote:Webhick, I may be misremembering, but I thought there was a way to tell which version of phpbb was running on a given site, but I can't for the life of me figure it out now.

At any rate I think Fogbow is running the latest version, they updated a while back when their old system crapped out on them and the builder couldn't fix the mess they'd made with a change, and in fact made things even worse.

Burnaby, FWIW, I think I've got you beat on systems.
Quite a boast, let's find out. I'm running the first released version of XP from late 2001 with their periodic updates which ended in 2014. I handle emails through Microsoft Outlook Express from 2004 and my main internet access is through Internet Explorer version 8 from 2009. When programs no longer work on this (I can't upgrade past version 8 because of XP) I reluctantly use Firefox. My Microsoft Word and Excel are from Office 2000. As far as I'm concerned Word was perfected when they finally allowed the long file names. You no doubt recall the dark days when Word file names were limited to eight characters. After that the additions to Word have just been bloat. The only game I play on the computer is a checkers game from 1996.

I'm not alone in my enthusiasm for XP;
Extended support for Windows XP ended on April 8, 2014, after which the operating system ceased receiving further support or security updates to most users. As of November 2016[update], Windows XP desktop market share makes it the fourth most popular Windows version after Windows 7, Windows 10 and Windows 8.1. Windows XP is still very popular in some countries; Africa as a whole and in Asia, e.g. in China, with it running on one third of desktop computers (and highest ranked in North Korea[12][13]).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_XP