New User Question

This is a message forum open to the public to make comments about Quatloos! and for suggestions meant to improve the website.
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness

New User Question

Post by wserra »

As you may know, for a while now we have been screening all new users with Stop Forum Spam, a database of spammers indexed by email and IP. It's been quite successful. Every now and then, a spammer slips through, but it's rare.

So what do you make of this: within an hour of each other, three new users attempt to join. All three have firstname/lastname logins - call it JoeSmith. All three have gmail addys of the form JoeSmithxxx@gmail.com. And all three register from the same IP. But no hits in SFS, neither from the emails nor the IP.

Three friends or one spammer?
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
NYGman
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Re: New User Question

Post by NYGman »

A fool and his sock puppets?
The Hardest Thing in the World to Understand is Income Taxes -Albert Einstein

Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose - As sung by Janis Joplin (and others) Written by Kris Kristofferson and Fred Foster.
bmxninja357

Post by bmxninja357 »

three folks sitting around the same starbucks chatting. could be lawyers or freemen. law students or tax evaders. or spam.

i would allow but keep an eye for a few posts.

jmo,
ninj
whoever said laughter is the best medicine never had gonorrhea....
rogfulton
Caveat Venditor
Location: No longer behind the satellite dish, second door along - in fact, not even in the same building.

Post by rogfulton »

Bots?
"No man is above the law and no man is below it; nor do we ask any man's permission when we require him to obey it. Obedience to the law is demanded as a right; not asked as a favor."
- President Theodore Roosevelt
wserra

Post by wserra »

NYGman wrote:A fool and his sock puppets?
are soon LARTed.
- David Hume
wserra

Post by wserra »

Ninj - that's what I was inclined to do.
- David Hume
Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey »

Having multiple email accounts with variations of your name is not crazy.
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

Jeffrey wrote:Having multiple email accounts with variations of your name is not crazy.
However, trying to sign up to the same board is, well suspect at the very least. My vote is buh bye.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey »

He might have tried with one email, didn't get the email confirmation and then tried other emails.
JohnPCapitalist
Pirate Captain
Pirate Captain

Post by JohnPCapitalist »

Jeffrey wrote:He might have tried with one email, didn't get the email confirmation and then tried other emails.
No opinion on what to do with this circumstance, but I will say that I found the signup here extremely difficult -- one of the more broken I've experienced in recent years. I never got e-mail confirming my registration and ended up trying several times with different IDs. And yes, I do know how to check my spam filter. It could be legit, or not. But if my experience is a guide, multiple ID's from a single IP is not always indicative of a bad actor.
The Seventh String

Post by The Seventh String »

For what it’s worth I had no trouble signing up here at all....

As for multiple signing up attempts from the same IP address that might just indicate several different people from the same domain with a fixed IP address. That the names are all very similar is more suspicious, but I recently set about creating a “throwaway” gmail and facebook account for reporting some posts on facebook of the FOTL/racist/utterly bonkers conspiracy theory variety.

Which ended up with me needing to make several attempts using different IDs. Attempts seemed to succeed, but logins were then refused by gmail because “user unknown”. Until I tried setting up an account again with the same user name only to be told “that name is already in use”. :brickwall:
BoomerSooner17

Post by BoomerSooner17 »

Just to add my $0.02, about two weeks ago I was out of town and I only had with me my Surface tablet, not the computer that I normally use for general browsing at home. I didn't have my Quatloos password saved on my Surface, so I tried (several times) to do the "forgot password" email option to reset my password and log in but I never received any of the emails. I was only gone overnight, so it wasn't that big of a deal to me. I just hope my multiple attempts to reset my password didn't trigger some kind of spam filter thing (I'm sure there is a term for this, but I'm just a simple mechanical engineer straight out of college, not an IT person).
"Never in the field of human conflict, was so much owed (but not paid), by so few, to so many." - Sir Winston Churchill
wserra

Post by wserra »

There are announcements in every forum - including this one - explaining that the board's email doesn't work, either for activation or for a forgotten password. In the event of a forgotten password, email webhick at quatloos at lindenashby.org or me at wserragm at gmail.com

Does anyone remember "RTFM"?
- David Hume