Server Move

This is a message forum open to the public to make comments about Quatloos! and for suggestions meant to improve the website.
webhick
Illuminati Obfuscation: Black Ops Div

Server Move

Post by webhick »

We will be shifting servers starting this afternoon. Unlike that little surprise last month, this is planned. I will need to disable the forum for a time because I can't shift it if it's in use without losing posts and stuff.

It's a three step process, so some shit will be weird. For instance, while we wait for the domain names to accept the changes, I'll have our current host redirect all traffic to the temporary domain name. Hopefully our current host hasn't somehow disabled that feature. Anyway, this means that the forum might behave a bit oddly. You might be tempted to stick your penis on something sharp. It's temporary and the odd behavior (and your dark thoughts) should disappear once the domain name updates.
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Re: Server Move

Post by notorial dissent »

And let the games commence. Seriously though, good luck and thanks.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
Burnaby49
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians

Post by Burnaby49 »

Anyway, this means that the forum might behave a bit oddly. You might be tempted to stick your penis on something sharp.
What kind of grossly offensive sexist comment is that? For all you know we are all 25 year old female virgins! Ok, apart from Wes and a few other Quatloos posters I've actually met. To be precise 11 other Quatloosians. None of whom were, regrettably, 25 year old females. Virgins or otherwise.
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeI-J2PhdGs
ArthurWankspittle
Slavering Minister of Auto-erotic Insinuation

Post by ArthurWankspittle »

Burnaby49 wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:31 am
Anyway, this means that the forum might behave a bit oddly. You might be tempted to stick your penis on something sharp.
What kind of grossly offensive sexist comment is that? For all you know we are all 25 year old female virgins! Ok, apart from Wes and a few other Quatloos posters I've actually met. To be precise 11 other Quatloosians. None of whom were, regrettably, 25 year old females. Virgins or otherwise.
To quote Youtuber AvE: I identify as a lesbian of color.
"There is something about true madness that goes beyond mere eccentricity." Will Self
webhick

Post by webhick »

Burnaby49 wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:31 am
Anyway, this means that the forum might behave a bit oddly. You might be tempted to stick your penis on something sharp or impale a pink beaver on bean bag chair.
Fixed it.
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

This is why I identify Webhick as my soulmate, she knows me so well.
Supreme Commander of The Imperial Illuminati Air Force
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.
AndyK
Illuminatian Revenue Supremo Emeritus

Post by AndyK »

webhick wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:36 am some shit will be weird
And this is different from any other day because ???

Massive kudos to WebHick who holding down a job and a family still finds time to maintain the site AND insult all the members.
Taxes are the price we pay for a free society and to cover the responsibilities of the evaders
webhick

Post by webhick »

I'm unemployed still...
webhick

Post by webhick »

While we wait for the changes to the domain name, it should be safe to use the forum. Your "remember me" login might act up during this transition period.
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Post by wserra »

I think the bots are having a hard time finding us on the new server. I assume they'll catch up?

Other than lost bots and "remember me", everything appears fine. In fact, at least for me the board is faster than it's been in a while.

web-HICK! web-HICK! web-HICK! web-HICK! web-HICK! web-HICK!
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
webhick

Post by webhick »

wserra wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:07 pm I think the bots are having a hard time finding us on the new server. I assume they'll catch up?

Other than lost bots and "remember me", everything appears fine. In fact, at least for me the board is faster than it's been in a while.

Once we're back on our own domain, they'll find us. I dont particularly care if they find us right now since the location in the address bar is temporary. We also cannot accept new registrations because the recaptcha is not registered for this address. That's okay too, because it's only until the domain name switches over to the new server.

On the technical side, there are other things that have improved. After the upgrade on our php version, the FAQ and ability to report posts was broken due to a GoDaddy server setting that could not be changed. We also still weren't getting emails for received PMs, although the registration and password change emails were coming through. I got a PM this morning and was actually emailed about it. The horror! A server that works correctly out-of-the box!
Burnaby49

Post by Burnaby49 »

webhick wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:50 pm
wserra wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:07 pm I think the bots are having a hard time finding us on the new server. I assume they'll catch up?

Once we're back on our own domain, they'll find us. I dont particularly care if they find us right now since the location in the address bar is temporary. We also cannot accept new registrations because the recaptcha is not registered for this address. That's okay too, because it's only until the domain name switches over to the new server.

On the technical side, there are other things that have improved. After the upgrade on our php version, the FAQ and ability to report posts was broken due to a GoDaddy server setting that could not be changed. We also still weren't getting emails for received PMs, although the registration and password change emails were coming through. I got a PM this morning and was actually emailed about it. The horror! A server that works correctly out-of-the box!
Emails? We get emails again? I haven't had that in years! And I notice that I seem to be faster getting in. For a day or so last week it was almost impossible. Like Arthur I had to sign in each time and even then I wouln't get in. Seems fine now. The bots are relentless little bastards, they'll find us soon enough. Thanks again.
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

webhick

Post by webhick »

I should also point out that we did lose some rude bots because of a change in our anti-hacker protection earlier in the week. Ahrefs and one other I can't remember. Anyway, the anti-hacker protection stops them dead precisely because of their bad behavior. We had circumvented it prior to this by creating a bot account for them, which used the forum software to slow them down but didn't really stop them from showing up. Now they're blocked before they even hit the forum.

HAHAHAHAHA.
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

Yeah webhick and thanks again. No issues on my end.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
Burnaby49

Post by Burnaby49 »

Ahrefs is gone? How could you? He was an old friend. Every time I checked to see who else was on line loyal Ahreds was there.

webhick

Post by webhick »

Burnaby49 wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:23 pm Ahrefs is gone? How could you? He was an old friend. Every time I checked to see who else was on line loyal Ahreds was there.
His behavior may seem endearing and comforting now, but eventually you'd hear heavy breathing coming from your bedroom closet and realize that you should have gotten a restraining order long ago.
wserra

Post by wserra »

I think a lot of people lost their passwords.

With the email working, you should be able to reset it easily.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
NYGman
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Post by NYGman »

wserra wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:46 pm I think a lot of people lost their passwords.

With the email working, you should be able to reset it easily.
Only lost in transition, back once the DNS Correctly resolved :) At least for me. As I can never remember my password here because it prevents special characters which I always include for added security, I just didn't bother to log in until the transition.
The Hardest Thing in the World to Understand is Income Taxes -Albert Einstein

Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose - As sung by Janis Joplin (and others) Written by Kris Kristofferson and Fred Foster.
Burnaby49

Post by Burnaby49 »

I didn't lose my password, I just kept having to constantly use it. But everything seems ok now and, for the first time in years, I got an email telling me that I had a PM.

AndyK
Illuminatian Revenue Supremo Emeritus

Post by AndyK »

One MINOR annoyance (MINOR WebHick, MINOR)

Almost every time I hit the site it asks me to log in again. Only a few seconds lost, but annoying.

FWIW,I'm on Windows 10 with Chrome.
Taxes are the price we pay for a free society and to cover the responsibilities of the evaders