Unable to login from "Three" Mobile Broadband

This is a message forum open to the public to make comments about Quatloos! and for suggestions meant to improve the website.
aesmith
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Unable to login from "Three" Mobile Broadband

Post by aesmith »

Hi,

I'm trialling a new LTE/4G service for home in place of the fixed ADSL landline. The carrier is "Three", although I'm actually subscribing via an MVNO. When I try to login to Quatloos I get basically told to take a hike ..
403 FORBIDDEN!

Either the address you are accessing this site from has been banned for previous malicious behavior or the action you attempted is considered to be hostile to the proper functioning of this system.

The detected reason(s) you were blocked are:
No registrations, or logins, from hosts listed as hostile on Stop Forum Spam (http://www.stopforumspam.com/removal) (local block).

Your IP, Domain Name (if resolvable), the referring page (if any), QUERY, POST, User Agent, time of access, and date have been logged and flagged for admin review. Please either 1. Stop the bad behavior, or 2. Cease accessing this system.
On the face of it this seems to be saying that my public IP address is on a blacklist managed by these "stopforumspam.com" guys. However if I click on the removal request link, it says my IP is not on their list (actual IP redacted on this public post, but it is the same as quoted in the blocking message) ..
Rrr
REMOVAL REQUEST
Home Removal Request
WE WILL NOT REMOVE ANY LISTING FOR IP ADDRESSES LISTED ON PROXAD/IIARD (FRANCE)
Your public IP address ww.xx.yyy.zz is not in our database

Don't panic - Really. In no way are you personally being accused of being a spammer. An entry was merely reported to our database. The reasons are infinite, but whatever the reason was, we cannot tell you for sure.
If you are a network administrator responsible for an IP that is currently on our list, please enter the IP address you wish to remove in the form below.
If you added the details that you are trying to remove, do not use this form. Instead, remove the record from your My Spammers page
We do not accept requests from "disposable" email addresses
We will send you a confirmation email, which will provide a confirmation code and details about how to continue with your request. Using a fake email address or an email address that is not the email address you want removed, will result in the request being cancelled
Due to abuse of the automated data removal system, we have moved to a newer, semi-automated process which now requires a brief manual investigation of all data submitted for removal. Before your removal request is processed, you must read, understand and agree to the terms defined herein. By submitting this form, you acknowledge you have read, understood and agree to the following:
Any ideas? If the problem isn't the IP address itself, presumably my action in trying to log in is being seen as hostile?
AnOwlCalledSage

Re: Unable to login from "Three" Mobile Broadband

Post by AnOwlCalledSage »

I can't login to Quatloos when connected via Great Western Railway WiFi. It seems to be blocked by SpamHaus.

However, I've not had a problem with Three from my mobile (including earlier today and just now) so there is probably something else going on.
Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity - Hanlon's Razor
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Post by wserra »

aesmith wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:49 amWhen I try to login to Quatloos I get basically told to take a hike ..
We of course do use SFS. When it blocks a connection, it makes an entry in the user log. I looked over the log going back to the beginning of the year, and see a bunch of SFS blocks. None of them are for user "aesmith", however. Maybe try it again, and if blocked post the date and time. Since Three isn't the issue, I'm not sure what's going on.

Thanks.

ETA: Please also PM me the IP you from which you can't log in. Although I thought the log would have an entry whenever a connect is blocked, it appears that only blocked registrations are logged.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
aesmith

Post by aesmith »

wserra wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:08 pm... None of them are for user "aesmith", however. Maybe try it again, and if blocked post the date and time. Since Three isn't the issue, I'm not sure what's going on.
Thanks for responding, I wonder whether because it blocks access to the login page altogether, maybe the log wouldn't show my user name as it's not yet been entered.
NYGman

Post by NYGman »

It blocks me when I forget to turn off my VPN sometimes, I have found that there are some Quatloos friendly locations available, but I have a habit of changing countries, and forgetting.
The Hardest Thing in the World to Understand is Income Taxes -Albert Einstein

Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose - As sung by Janis Joplin (and others) Written by Kris Kristofferson and Fred Foster.
aesmith

Post by aesmith »

After the previous episode it seems like the block was removed, only to be suddenly reapplied yesterday. It now also blocks my normal VPN connection as well. I'm posting here using a VPN homing me to Canada which seems to be the only way in at the moment.
wserra

Post by wserra »

At my level of knowledge - well below webhick's - I have two suggestions.

(1) We do block certain IP ranges, having been spammed numerous times from those addresses. I can only know if you're tunneling into one of those ranges if you tell me the endpoint of your VPN. PM me.

(2) Turn off your VPN when you post here.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
aesmith

Post by aesmith »

Hi and thanks. The blocked address was as follows. Note that Three uses Carrier Grade NAT, meaning that the actual IP address seen has no relationship with any one particular customer. Hence I'm not giving away any confidential information by posting this. Note it also blocked my VPN when I connected via London. It allowed me in this morning via what the VPN calls "Canada East", but that's now blocked as well. Currently posting on VPN via "Canada West". I'll PM the VPN end points that are blocked ..

Code: Select all

Details for 94.197.121.54
IP:	94.197.121.54
Decimal:	1589999926
Hostname:	94.197.121.54.threembb.co.uk
ASN:	60339
ISP:	Three
Organization:	Three
Services:	None detected
Type:	Wireless Broadband
Assignment:	Likely Static IP
aesmith

Post by aesmith »

I am still confused by this behaviour which seems to come and go randomly. Over the last few days and early this morning it was blocking me from my home broadband (which is Three), although as before when clicking the link http://www.stopforumspam.com/removal it always says my address is not listed and not being blocked. Also in the last day or so it was blocking most of my VPN options, including end points that were permitted earlier. Now it's letting me back in on the same IP that was blocked earlier.

As I think I said, Three uses CGNAT so there's no relationship between any one subscriber and any one IP address. Blocking their ranges will either block a completely random subset of their customers, or maybe the whole ISP.

Also, if blocking by IP, why does that stopforumspam site always say that the address isn't listed, which incidentally makes it impossible to submit a remove request.
AnOwlCalledSage

Post by AnOwlCalledSage »

aesmith wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:19 pm Over the last few days and early this morning it was blocking me from my home broadband (which is Three)
Three (and I am a customer myself) had a massive outage over about 48 hours. If it works now you are in the clear.
Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity - Hanlon's Razor
aesmith

Post by aesmith »

We were down from around 23:24 on 16th to 12:03 on 17th. The network might have been back before that because I had to manually the LTE interface to get it back in service. I've definitely seen the block since then, and now there's another odd thing - I'm logged in now from a desktop PC, but blocked if I try to access from my tablet.
Burnaby49
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians

Post by Burnaby49 »

aesmith wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:37 am We were down from around 23:24 on 16th to 12:03 on 17th. The network might have been back before that because I had to manually the LTE interface to get it back in service. I've definitely seen the block since then, and now there's another odd thing - I'm logged in now from a desktop PC, but blocked if I try to access from my tablet.
Telus, my local service, went down nationally about two months ago. A cross_canada blackout. Our home service, internet, email, and wife's cell service both crashed. I got my email back quickly but my wife, on the same service with the same account, didn't get her email back for almost a month.
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeI-J2PhdGs