Slow loading & logging out...

This is a message forum open to the public to make comments about Quatloos! and for suggestions meant to improve the website.
hucknallred
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Slow loading & logging out...

Post by hucknallred »

Not wishing to put down this excellent repository, but I have noticed some irksome behaviour.

Logging out. Is there a set time of inactivity before a user is logged out?
I'm browsing away, get distracted for 10 minutes & come back to see I'm logged out.

A minor inconvenience I know, but the actual login page is very slow loading, as is the login procedure.

Like I say, not complaints, more an observation that could possibly be fixed?
eric
Trivial Observer of Great War

Re: Slow loading & logging out...

Post by eric »

The slow loading problem appears to have been fixed. However I agree that it would be useful to know how long it takes before I get kicked off. There are times when I have to write a particularly long missive and search a court case for pithy remarks from a presiding judge or view a youtube video and discover my work is all for naught. The work around I use is to write all my post using Word or OpenOffice and then copy and paste.
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Post by wserra »

(1) Board responsiveness has been fine for me lately. If slow page loading continues to be a problem, please post again.

(2) Session length is currently set for one hour - meaning that you will timeout after an hour of inactivity. We can change it, but that seems to be enough. No?
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
hucknallred

Post by hucknallred »

wserra wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:29 pm (1) Board responsiveness has been fine for me lately. If slow page loading continues to be a problem, please post again.
It's only the login page & the login process that's slow, after that it all works quickly.
(2) Session length is currently set for one hour - meaning that you will timeout after an hour of inactivity. We can change it, but that seems to be enough. No?
That is fine, I now know that's the setting by TPTB & not some cookie related thing my end.
morrand

Post by morrand »

hucknallred wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:52 pm
wserra wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:29 pm (2) Session length is currently set for one hour - meaning that you will timeout after an hour of inactivity. We can change it, but that seems to be enough. No?
That is fine, I now know that's the setting by TPTB & not some cookie related thing my end.
Hitting the "Preview" button once in a while restarts the timer, in my experience.
---
Morrand
JamesVincent
A Councilor of the Kabosh

Post by JamesVincent »

Question. Did the site go through an update recently? It seems to be loading a lot quicker for me now. Want to see if it's something you guys did or something I did.
Disciple of the cross and champion in suffering
Immerse yourself into the kingdom of redemption
Pardon your mind through the chains of the divine
Make way, the shepherd of fire

Avenged Sevenfold "Shepherd of Fire"
webhick
Illuminati Obfuscation: Black Ops Div

Post by webhick »

Got fed up with zbblock, threw it out a window.
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
wserra

Post by wserra »

webhick wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:47 amthrew [zbblock] out a window.
People have been indicted for less.
- David Hume
AnOwlCalledSage

Post by AnOwlCalledSage »

I've just tried accessing the site without using a VPN for the first time since last May and I'm no longer getting the 503 http error (it wasn't even giving me the ZBBLOCK message).

So it's no longer If It's Tuesday This Must Be Belgium.
Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity - Hanlon's Razor
wserra

Post by wserra »

I was 503'ed out of the site for two days, using the same PC, browser and ISP I've used hundreds of times before. Yes, ZB keeps out spammers, but it was throwing far too many false positives. Getting rid of spam/spammers takes a couple of clicks. Moreover, now that it's gone, a bunch of indexing bots that it had apparently blocked are back. Indexing is good. ZB had to go.
- David Hume
Burnaby49
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians

Post by Burnaby49 »

Certainly made a change for me. I've not timed it but it used to take me around thirty seconds to get in. I'd click the link then do something else, emails. check news, get a coffee, and come back. Now it's just a second or two.
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeI-J2PhdGs
Burnaby49

Post by Burnaby49 »

Just found another major change. Years ago I was suddenly totally locked out of Quatloos. I couldn't sign in. I got a page of gibberish which apparently (I couldn't make any sense out of it) informed me that I was unauthorized to access Quatloos. I checked with Wes and Webhick and she'd installed the latest variant of ZBBLOCK which did not allow access to people still using Windows XP. I ended up having to buy a new computer using Windows 10 to get back in. I still use the XP computer (I've had it about 20 years, still works) and I tried Quatloos. Got in with no problem.
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

webhick
Illuminati Obfuscation: Black Ops Div

Post by webhick »

wserra wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:25 pm
webhick wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:47 amthrew [zbblock] out a window.
People have been indicted for less.
Don't threaten me with a good time.
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
JamesVincent

Post by JamesVincent »

My experience is like Burnaby's, I used to click on login and then open another tab, log into Gmail and do other things while waiting. Now it's instant. I switched over to running Linux awhile back and still getting used to it and changing settings for me, didn't know if I had changed something I didn't mean to.

The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

First time that I actually enjoyed logging in and not grinding my teeth over the wait. Thanks, webhick.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

In the past couple of days, the "Recent Discussions" field has been completely blank; and if I use the "Quick Links" button to try to get in, "the back way," I am told that there are no new posts.
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
wserra

Post by wserra »

Hmm. Both the "New posts" and "Active topics" links work fine for me (note: "New posts" means new since your last login). I'm not sure what you mean by "Recent Discussions". Where is that?
- David Hume
Burnaby49

Post by Burnaby49 »

If you mean "Unread Posts" I have no problem getting them in both XP and Windows 10.

JamesVincent

Post by JamesVincent »

wserra wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:50 am Hmm. Both the "New posts" and "Active topics" links work fine for me (note: "New posts" means new since your last login). I'm not sure what you mean by "Recent Discussions". Where is that?
Believe he is talking about the blog page. I was going to say something about it also since I usually log in through there.

https://www.quatloos.com/

wserra

Post by wserra »

JamesVincent wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 5:42 amBelieve he is talking about the blog page.
Ah. Yes, I see the 503 error. Pottapaug, if that's how you like to access the board, try "Active topics" in the Quick Links dropdown. It's a better way to do the same thing. Also, bookmark the index page directly, rather than going through the blog.

Translation: I have no idea how to fix the blog page given that ZB is no more, so just avoid it.
- David Hume