New Style Available

This is a message forum open to the public to make comments about Quatloos! and for suggestions meant to improve the website.
webhick
Illuminati Obfuscation: Black Ops Div

New Style Available

Post by webhick »

So, I've just about completed work on the new Quatloos style. It's blue, black, yellow and somewhere along the way some orange got mixed in. Not sure how that happened.

Anyway, it's still in beta, meaning that it likely has kinks that need to be worked out. I've uploaded it early so I can hunt those down using the actual configuration and data of the board. Pages are rendering a bit slow as the software compiles and caches the components. I expect that to go away when things are fully cached.

You may choose to use it by going to ucp.php?i=165 and picking Absolution from the "My board style" drop-down. It should be functional, but if you choose to use it you do so at your own risk.
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
Burnaby49
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians

Re: New Style Available

Post by Burnaby49 »

If I don't like it can I come back to this one?
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeI-J2PhdGs
webhick

Post by webhick »

Burnaby49 wrote:If I don't like it can I come back to this one?
For now, at least. The old Q style is still everyone's default.

If there's something in particular that irks you, let me know. I'm continuing to tweak it. Hell, I found three things that are still on their old (bluish) color scheme that doesn't quite fit in with the new one. It's not hurting anything. I'll fix it tomorrow.
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
webhick

Post by webhick »

I also made some new rank images. Nothing fancy. Seriously.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
AndyK
Illuminatian Revenue Supremo Emeritus

Post by AndyK »

A tad bright, but IMO -- much more readable AND better visual flow.

The orange bleeding into the white (as in this text box) is a bit confusing. It seems to be highlighting an entry field, but isn't.
Whatever.

Overall, an improvement.

I especially like the hidden text feature for the secret communications.
Taxes are the price we pay for a free society and to cover the responsibilities of the evaders
webhick

Post by webhick »

AndyK wrote:A tad bright, but IMO -- much more readable AND better visual flow.
It is brighter, one complaint with the last style was that it was too dark, which it was. I've been working with it for a few weeks now and the only problem I've had with the brightness is due to the shock of switching back and forth. If it still bothers after a week, let me know and I'll tone it down.

I'm still hating the navbar at the top. It straddles the line between being able to use black text vs white text. If I lighten it, it washes out everything else. If I darken it, it weighs down the page too much.
The orange bleeding into the white (as in this text box) is a bit confusing. It seems to be highlighting an entry field, but isn't.
Whatever.
Fixed.
Overall, an improvement.
Thanks.
I especially like the hidden text feature for the secret communications.
You didn't discover the double-secret hidden text feature?
JamesVincent
A Councilor of the Kabosh

Post by JamesVincent »

One thing I don't see, and feel free to call me a moron if I missed it, is an independent new posts button. And a return to the top of page button. Both were kinda handy.
Disciple of the cross and champion in suffering
Immerse yourself into the kingdom of redemption
Pardon your mind through the chains of the divine
Make way, the shepherd of fire

Avenged Sevenfold "Shepherd of Fire"
webhick

Post by webhick »

It's called "New Topic." Same place as it always was.

The return to top does appear to be missing. The Absolution author may have removed it, but I'll get it back in there.
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

I finally got to try it out, really like the colors and feel, and looks like it won't be difficult to use. I'm a bit slow tonight, but I'm not seeing or finding the hidden text function.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
Burnaby49

Post by Burnaby49 »

Moved over to it, seems significantly better. Visually sharper for we old-timers with reading glasses. I agree with your comments on the Nav Bar. Only one question. What happened to your ferret?
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

Burnaby49

Post by Burnaby49 »

Another comment. I like the old rank images and I'd suggest leaving them alone. I think that "Stowaway in the Mooloh Lounge" addd something to the rank although I have no idea what.

wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Post by wserra »

And webhick continues her efforts to shame me into actually learning something about board administration. Unfortunately, that's gonna have to get added to the "vacation" list for this summer. Really. Along with continued wiki contributions. Really.

As I've said before, lawyers are a dime a dozen around here, but there's only one webhick.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
JamesVincent
A Councilor of the Kabosh

Post by JamesVincent »

Web, I have messages, members, search, and then jamesvincent. Ive been using the search function for new posts.
Disciple of the cross and champion in suffering
Immerse yourself into the kingdom of redemption
Pardon your mind through the chains of the divine
Make way, the shepherd of fire

Avenged Sevenfold "Shepherd of Fire"
webhick

Post by webhick »

Burnaby49 wrote:Another comment. I like the old rank images and I'd suggest leaving them alone. I think that "Stowaway in the Mooloh Lounge" addd something to the rank although I have no idea what.
A lot of the old-style ranks completely wash out on the new style. I'll make the images taller so I can put the whimsy back in.
webhick

Post by webhick »

JamesVincent wrote:Web, I have messages, members, search, and then jamesvincent. Ive been using the search function for new posts.
The "Search" and your name are both drop downs. Just put your mouse over them (without clicking) and you'll see your options.
Lambkin
Warder of the Quatloosian Gibbet

Post by Lambkin »

I'm using the new view, and I think the blue might be too strong. Too bright/dark IMO. Otherwise, so far so good.
webhick

Post by webhick »

Lambkin wrote:Too bright/dark IMO.
I think the word you're looking for is "intense." I toned it down (made it darker).

I also lightened up the nav bar. Hopefully, it's not too...fleshy.

In order to see the changes, you may need to refresh the page twice.
Burnaby49

Post by Burnaby49 »

I like the darker blue. Makes the white text easier to see. Some of us are getting on (I'm 64 next month) and when tones are too close together I find it confusing.

Now if you could just adjust that white bar that goes across the top of each topic on unread and new posts. It only goes down half-way on the text so the text has a half-white half-yellow background. Could you expand the white so the text sits in all-white?

webhick

Post by webhick »

Burnaby49 wrote:Now if you could just adjust that white bar that goes across the top of each topic on unread and new posts. It only goes down half-way on the text so the text has a half-white half-yellow background. Could you expand the white so the text sits in all-white?
Wow, somehow those search pages got jacked. I killed the gradient and fixed the title bar. For some reason, they were using the same gradient image for both the PM list (which is only like 45px high) and the search results list (which is much taller). This was giving the white bar effect on the search results. I didn't change it to white, though. It's the really light yellow that's found throughout the rest of the site.
Burnaby49

Post by Burnaby49 »

webhick wrote:
Burnaby49 wrote:Now if you could just adjust that white bar that goes across the top of each topic on unread and new posts. It only goes down half-way on the text so the text has a half-white half-yellow background. Could you expand the white so the text sits in all-white?
Wow, somehow those search pages got jacked. I killed the gradient and fixed the title bar. For some reason, they were using the same gradient image for both the PM list (which is only like 45px high) and the search results list (which is much taller). This was giving the white bar effect on the search results. I didn't change it to white, though. It's the really light yellow that's found throughout the rest of the site.
Thanks! Either yellow or white is fine by me. Just found it a bit disorienting to have both going through the text.