New Style Available

This is a message forum open to the public to make comments about Quatloos! and for suggestions meant to improve the website.
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Re: New Style Available

Post by wserra »

webhick wrote:My eyes no longer water while reading Q.
Then you're not reading the right posts. Try Famspear's.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
webhick
Illuminati Obfuscation: Black Ops Div

Post by webhick »

grixit wrote:Also, could you please make a blue version?
Kestrel wrote:In the alternative, I also prefer looking at so-called cool colors. Navy blue lettering on a green-gray or blue sky background is soothing.
When I have enough time and my brain is in the right mindset, it takes weeks to recolor a theme. This includes recoloring graphics and a lot of trial and error on the stylesheet because a font color style used in one location is often used in another location with a background that is now incompatible. It also increases the workload when upgrading phpBB to a newer version since all custom themes need to be patched manually.
Kestrel wrote:But would you leave the old style up, if you can?
The old style is based on Glacier - which was created by the author and abandoned. It hasn't been updated since 3.0.4. Sure, we've been patching it, but somewhere along the way it's gotten a bit messed up. In short, it's broken. In order for me to fix it, I have to re-download the original, apply the patches again, verify that it's not broken - AND THEN go about retheming it to match what it was. This would have been my last ditch effort if I could not resolve ND's technical problems using the recolor of prosilver.
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Post by grixit »

I'll recolor the icons for you. Email in PM.
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4
webhick

Post by webhick »

There are over 160 graphics that go into a theme. The colors on many of those graphics get tweaked frequently as I recolor the non-graphical elements of the theme. Now multiply that by two because once I finalize the base version, I have to carry that over to a new compatibility theme. All my graphics templates are in Inkscape so I can tweak and export in the laziest way possible on a whim. That cuts back on some of the work, but the backlog of work I'm quickly going to get having to create, test and support new themes because now everyone is going to want their own custom scheme.
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
Kestrel
Endangerer of Stupid Species

Post by Kestrel »

webhick wrote:The old style is based on Glacier - which was created by the author and abandoned. It hasn't been updated since 3.0.4. Sure, we've been patching it, but somewhere along the way it's gotten a bit messed up. In short, it's broken. In order for me to fix it, I have to re-download the original, apply the patches again, verify that it's not broken - AND THEN go about retheming it to match what it was. This would have been my last ditch effort if I could not resolve ND's technical problems using the recolor of prosilver.
As I said, You Done Good. Thanks for the explanation. I'll adjust. Your effort truly has been a labor of love.

There's only one thing more I'd like to see. Would you please restore your ferret picture? I really miss the little guy.
"Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." - Robert Heinlein
Duke2Earl
Eighth Operator of the Delusional Mooloo

Post by Duke2Earl »

Webhick,

Honestly, after using the new style for several days, I still like the old style better but I suspect it is simply due to the fact that I am set in my ways. But I do understand that the old style was broken and an enormous pain in the unmentionables to keep updating. I will adjust. Life will continue. And you do not get anywhere near enough appreciation for all you do around here.

Thank You.
My choice early in life was to either be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politican. And to tell the truth there's hardly any difference.

Harry S Truman
Burnaby49
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians

Post by Burnaby49 »

Duke2Earl wrote:Webhick,

Honestly, after using the new style for several days, I still like the old style better but I suspect it is simply due to the fact that I am set in my ways. But I do understand that the old style was broken and an enormous pain in the unmentionables to keep updating. I will adjust. Life will continue. And you do not get anywhere near enough appreciation for all you do around here.

Thank You.
I started using the new style as soon as Webhick initially introduced it. In a week or so I'd completely forgotten about the old one.
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeI-J2PhdGs
JamesVincent
A Councilor of the Kabosh

Post by JamesVincent »

Burnaby49 wrote: I started using the new style as soon as Webhick initially introduced it. In a week or so I'd completely forgotten about the old one.
We had an old one?
Disciple of the cross and champion in suffering
Immerse yourself into the kingdom of redemption
Pardon your mind through the chains of the divine
Make way, the shepherd of fire

Avenged Sevenfold "Shepherd of Fire"
wserra

Post by wserra »

I would like you all to see something.

The following is a cut and paste from this board's admin log showing what web has done over the last few days:
webhick [IP] Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:36 pm Deleted cached versions of template files in template set Absolution
» navbar
webhick [IP] Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:34 pm Deleted cached versions of template files in template set Absolution
» navbar
webhick [IP] Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:26 pm Exported style
» Quatloos
webhick [IP] Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:07 pm Successful administration login
webhick [IP] Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:22 pm Successful administration login
webhick [IP] Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:19 pm Altered board settings
webhick [IP] Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:18 pm Edited style
» Absolution
webhick [IP] Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:04 pm Refreshed theme
» Absolution
webhick [IP] Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:03 pm Successful administration login
webhick [IP] Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:24 pm Edited theme prosilver
webhick [IP] Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:24 pm Refreshed theme
» prosilver
webhick [IP] Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:22 pm Refreshed theme
» prosilver
webhick [IP] Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:21 pm Refreshed theme
» prosilver
webhick [IP] Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:20 pm Refreshed theme
» prosilver
webhick [IP] Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:19 pm Refreshed theme
» prosilver
webhick [IP] Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:18 pm Refreshed theme
» prosilver
webhick [IP] Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:16 pm Refreshed theme
» prosilver
webhick [IP] Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:10 pm Auto-pruned forums
» Potpourri_Old
webhick [IP] Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:07 pm Add new template set on filesystem
» prosilver
webhick [IP] Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:07 pm Added new theme to database
» prosilver
webhick [IP] Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:07 pm Add new imageset on filesystem
» prosilver
webhick [IP] Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:07 pm Added new style
» prosilver
webhick [IP] Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:03 pm Deleted style
» prosilver
webhick [IP] Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:00 pm Deleted style
» A-Original
webhick [IP] Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:00 pm Successful administration login
Many of those steps require considerable offline work modifying the themes.

As I have written before, lawyers are a dime a dozen around here, but there is only one webhick. A personal request from me, not her: DO NOT ask her to do anything about your individual problems. If you have one, and suspect that it may not be limited to you, by all means describe it in a post here. If it turns out to be yours alone, you can't expect web to modify the board to the satisfaction of each of our hundreds of members. Use another browser. Adjust your screen brightness/contrast or resolution. Google your issue to find another solution you can implement. Something.

Thanks.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Post by Famspear »

wserra wrote:I would like you all to see something.

The following is a cut and paste from this board's admin log showing what web has done over the last few days:
webhick [IP] Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:36 pm Deleted cached versions of template files in template set Absolution
» navbar
webhick [IP] Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:34 pm Deleted cached versions of template files in template set Absolution
» navbar
webhick [IP] Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:26 pm Exported style
» Quatloos
webhick [IP] Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:07 pm Successful administration login
webhick [IP] Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:22 pm Successful administration login
webhick [IP] Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:18 pm Edited style
» Absolution
webhick [IP] Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:04 pm Refreshed theme
» Absolution
webhick [IP] Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:03 pm Successful administration login
webhick [IP] Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:24 pm Edited theme prosilver
webhick [IP] Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:24 pm Refreshed theme
» prosilver
webhick [IP] Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:22 pm Refreshed theme
» prosilver
webhick [IP] Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:21 pm Refreshed theme
» prosilver
webhick [IP] Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:20 pm Refreshed theme
» prosilver
webhick [IP] Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:19 pm Refreshed theme
» prosilver
webhick [IP] Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:18 pm Refreshed theme
» prosilver
webhick [IP] Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:16 pm Refreshed theme
» prosilver
webhick [IP] Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:10 pm Auto-pruned forums
» Potpourri_Old
webhick [IP] Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:07 pm Add new template set on filesystem
» prosilver
webhick [IP] Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:07 pm Added new theme to database
» prosilver
webhick [IP] Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:07 pm Add new imageset on filesystem
» prosilver
webhick [IP] Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:07 pm Added new style
» prosilver
webhick [IP] Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:03 pm Deleted style
» prosilver
webhick [IP] Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:00 pm Deleted style
» A-Original
webhick [IP] Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:00 pm Successful administration login
Many of those steps require considerable offline work modifying the themes.

As I have written before, lawyers are a dime a dozen around here, but there is only one webhick. A personal request from me, not her: DO NOT ask her to do anything about your individual problems. If you have one, and suspect that it may not be limited to you, by all means describe it in a post here. If it turns out to be yours alone, you can't expect web to modify the board to the satisfaction of each of our hundreds of members. Use another browser. Adjust your screen brightness/contrast or resolution. Google your issue to find another solution you can implement. Something.

Thanks.
I don't know what's involved to do all that stuff -- but thanks, webhick!

:)
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
Arthur Rubin
Tupa-O-Quatloosia

Post by Arthur Rubin »

I had switched back to the old style shortly after the new style became available, because there was no contrast between text and background in some areas. The contrast is now better (except for some icon contrast problems, which don't seem serious.)

*cool is a technical term in color balance.
Arthur Rubin, unemployed tax preparer and aerospace engineer
ImageJoin the Blue Ribbon Online Free Speech Campaign!

Butterflies are free. T-shirts are $19.95 $24.95 $29.95
webhick

Post by webhick »

Moved everyone back over to original Quatloos style. Other styles still available. I've started patching and rebuilding Old Q so it won't be phased out. Will work on other requests after that.
grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Post by grixit »

You are so good to us!
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4
webhick

Post by webhick »

phpBB released a new upgrade. They overhauled the backend and redid the templating system. I'm working on bringing our existing styles into the new version (offline).

For those who have had functional issues with any of the currently available styles, please try the phpBB demo at http://www.try-phpbb.com/31x/ and let me know if those problems still exist. That operates with the standard style that comes with the forum software.

Our original Q style is mostly just going to be a recolor of that. The main variations include an increase to the font and button size.