New Style Available

This is a message forum open to the public to make comments about Quatloos! and for suggestions meant to improve the website.
webhick
Illuminati Obfuscation: Black Ops Div

Re: New Style Available

Post by webhick »

Made a few more changes this evening:
  • White image preceding moderator names on main page has been corrected.
  • The link that lets you jump to the first unread post in a thread has been swapped out with something larger.
  • The Back to Top link has been added.
  • Toned down the blue on the links. Links that appear in posts are the traditional bright blue, though.
I've still got the following on my list:
  • The FAQ. Mostly font issue. Back to top link is also being cut off.
  • The Information Page that is displayed after posting. Header and dividing line is in wrong color and the font on the page is too small.
  • PM/Post Preview. Left margin is too large and the font too small.
  • Polls. Colors are wrong.
Again, you may need to refresh the page twice to see the changes immediately.
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Post by wserra »

There appears to be some bug by which certain folks have their titles printed twice, and the second one bleeds into the post area. notorial dissent and Lambkin are two, there are others.

Other than that, I really like the Absolution implementation. Thanks, webhick.

Oh, and let me know when it's all done. I've always wanted to say, "Dominus noster Jesus Christus te absolvat".
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

I really like the new format and colors, much easier to read and see.

I still seem to be having issues with the navigation buttons not responding, and it not responding when I click on things the first time.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
webhick

Post by webhick »

wserra wrote:There appears to be some bug by which certain folks have their titles printed twice, and the second one bleeds into the post area. notorial dissent and Lambkin are two, there are others.
I'm betting that you're using IE. I don't know how you can stand it. In any event, it's due to borked rank images. Some of our special ranks had images attached to them. During one crash or another, many of the images went missing. I went through the rank list and removed any dead image references.
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
wserra

Post by wserra »

webhick wrote:I'm betting that you're using IE. I don't know how you can stand it.
Correctamundo. Certain sites I use professionally work better. At home (and on the road) I use Firefox.

In any event, what you did with the orphan ranks worked, even for Bill Gates.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
webhick

Post by webhick »

notorial dissent wrote:I really like the new format and colors, much easier to read and see.

I still seem to be having issues with the navigation buttons not responding, and it not responding when I click on things the first time.
I don't think it's theme related. We're taking this one to the PMs.
BBFlatt
Captain
Captain

Post by BBFlatt »

webhick wrote:
notorial dissent wrote:I really like the new format and colors, much easier to read and see.

I don't think it's theme related. We're taking this one to the PMs.
I'm having the same problem. Using IE (not by choice).
When the last law was down and the devil turned 'round on you where would you hide, the laws all being flat? ...Yes, I'd give the devil the benefit of the law, for my own safety's sake. -- Robert Bolt; A Man for all Seasons
webhick

Post by webhick »

ND, BB - check your PMs.
AndyK
Illuminatian Revenue Supremo Emeritus

Post by AndyK »

Irrespective of the minor glitches (most of which were resolved within minutes) Kudos to WebHick For someone who receives no compensation (other than a free citizenship in Quatloosia) for her services, this is an esteemable effort.

And the ongoing threats of a rabid ferret attack had absoluely nothing to do with the above comment.
Taxes are the price we pay for a free society and to cover the responsibilities of the evaders
webhick

Post by webhick »

We're still experiencing the issues I listed as well as BBFlat and ND's problems, so we're not out of the woods yet.

Also, it seems that some folks aren't aware that they have PMs. On the new style, when you have PMs, it looks like:

Last edited by webhick on Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved image off photobucket and updated url
webhick

Post by webhick »

Fixed the FAQ, the Info page, the Previews and the polls.

Absolution was using jQuery for some fancy mojo we didn't need. So I killed all the mojo. That fixed BBFlat's problem.

Still working with ND to resolve whatever's going on there. I won't make the theme default for everyone until that's resolved.
webhick

Post by webhick »

Absolution is about as done as it's going to get and since no one has had any complaints for a while, I'm guessing most of the bugs have been worked out. I'm switching everyone over in a few minutes. The old Quatloos style will be phased out soon. If you experience any technical issues, try prosilver (it's been recolored to match the Absolution recolor). If you still experience technical issues, PM me ASAP.

Speaking of which, ND - check your PMs.
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Post by Famspear »

Wwwwwwwwoooooooowwwww!

Cool!
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
fortinbras
Princeps Wooloosia

Post by fortinbras »

I like it. Better visibility & readability.
Judge Roy Bean
Judge for the District of Quatloosia
Judge for the District of Quatloosia

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

Cool - a little like climbing into a new airplane!
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three
grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Post by grixit »

webhick wrote:We're still experiencing the issues I listed as well as BBFlat and ND's problems, so we're not out of the woods yet.

Also, it seems that some folks aren't aware that they have PMs. On the new style, when you have PMs, it looks like:

In some forums, when you have messages, it shows how many beside the open envelop icon.
Last edited by webhick on Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4
grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Post by grixit »

Also, could you please make a blue version?

Yellow ==> Sky Blue
Orange ==> Cyan

Thanks.
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4
Kestrel
Endangerer of Stupid Species

Post by Kestrel »

webhick wrote: The old Quatloos style will be phased out soon.
I know I'm the oddball in the bunch.

First, Webhick, thank you for doing such a fabulous job with the new color scheme. It's bold, brilliant, and very impressive. As my mother would say, You Done Good. Your efforts have definitely paid off big time.

But would you leave the old style up, if you can? The old style is just, well, easier for me to read. I have over-age-45 eyes with astigmatism which causes temporary double vision when I've done too much close-up work. (If you've never experienced double vision with only one eye open, let me just say that you don't want to. The doc says it's caused by eyestrain.)

In the alternative, I also prefer looking at so-called cool colors. Navy blue lettering on a green-gray or blue sky background is soothing.
"Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." - Robert Heinlein
webhick

Post by webhick »

grixit wrote:
webhick wrote:We're still experiencing the issues I listed as well as BBFlat and ND's problems, so we're not out of the woods yet.

In some forums, when you have messages, it shows how many beside the open envelop icon.
The best solution I've been able to find is the format from the old Q. So I implemented that.
Last edited by webhick on Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
webhick

Post by webhick »

The high volume text area for old Q had 209 brightness difference and 586 color difference. Absolution (and prosilver) has 247 brightness difference and 699 color difference.

Per W3C, brightness of over 125 and color difference over 500 is considered "good" for readability.Black text on a white background is 255 and 765 - so technically those are the best scores possible.

Technically speaking, the Absolution/prosilver themes are better for your eyes than the Old Q theme.

Two years ago, when my glasses were last updated, my prescription read -115 astigmatism in my left eye and -5 in my right. I've been working with the style since nearly the beginning of the new year and using it on the forum since the beginning of the month. The only problems I had were switching back and forth between the styles (shocking). My eyes no longer water while reading Q.

EDIT: Removed some remnants of some thoughts that I ended up putting in a new post.