Problem Searching

This is a message forum open to the public to make comments about Quatloos! and for suggestions meant to improve the website.
fortinbras
Princeps Wooloosia

Problem Searching

Post by fortinbras »

Today I tried to look up an old thread on the Sovereign Citizen forum .... and could not do it, even setting the date to the past year, all I got for "Tim Turner Indicted" was "nothing inside the time frame". What gives??
webhick
Illuminati Obfuscation: Black Ops Div

Re: Problem Searching

Post by webhick »

search.php?keywords=tim+turner+Indicted ... mit=Search

The last post to the Tim Turner thread was more than a year ago.
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
fortinbras
Princeps Wooloosia

Post by fortinbras »

OK, checking another thread also got "No posts exist within the selected time frame" and this was something I saw added within the past 2 months.

Under TP, tried looking at "The Judge has Abandoned Ship" -- showing a last entry date of June 18th, with my setting as 6 months, still No posts exist ......
Last edited by fortinbras on Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
webhick

Post by webhick »

What thread and what search options are you using?
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
fortinbras
Princeps Wooloosia

Post by fortinbras »

TP forum, Judge has abandoned ship, shows a last entry within the month. I set my coverage for the past 6 months, still No posts exist within the time frame!
fortinbras
Princeps Wooloosia

Post by fortinbras »

TP forum, Judge has abandoned ship, shows a last entry within the month. I set my coverage for the past 6 months, still No posts exist within the time frame!

And the Tim Turner Indicted thread shows a last entry only ten days ago!!!!
webhick

Post by webhick »

I've got errands to run. I'll look into it when I get home.
webhick

Post by webhick »

Okay, here's what's happening.

phpBB search sucks ass. But before we get to that, you should probably be aware that words like "the" and "has" are ignored. They're considered too common and have been classified as stopwords. Not that it should affect anything, but it's nice to save a few keystrokes.

If you select the option of just searching topic titles, it will literally only search the title for the first post in all the threads. If you limit it to, say six months, and that first post was made before that, it will not search for it. Doesn't matter if the last post in the thread was yesterday - still will not return it.

For the purposes of this discussion, time limits are useless since they're not the problem.

But that's not all, folks! "Search for all terms or use query as entered" is not very useful. "Judge abandoned" will pull up the thread. "Judge abandoned ship" will not. I have no words for this level of stupid.

On the other hand, if you choose "Search for any terms" and put a plus before each of the words "+Judge +abandoned +ship," it works great. You can also do "+the +judge +has +abandoned +ship" and it will still work great.

Or you can do what I do when I can't find something I know exists on the forum. I get lazy and use Google. For those who don't know, Google (and Bing and other search engines, I suppose) allows you to filter your search by site. All you need to do is append the following to your search:

Code: Select all

site:quatloos.com
Therefore, you can do searches like:

"the judge has abandoned ship" site:quatloos.com
or

tim turner indicted site:quatloos.com
Arthur Rubin
Tupa-O-Quatloosia

Post by Arthur Rubin »

webhick wrote:Okay, here's what's happening.

phpBB search sucks ass.
I believe that's a technical term.... :lol:
Last edited by Arthur Rubin on Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fix simley
Arthur Rubin, unemployed tax preparer and aerospace engineer
ImageJoin the Blue Ribbon Online Free Speech Campaign!

Butterflies are free. T-shirts are $19.95 $24.95 $29.95
fortinbras
Princeps Wooloosia

Post by fortinbras »

Cannot explain it but searches beyond the last 7 days show titles of threads but cannot actually connect to them. E.g., under Tax Protesters, 9 days ago was last entry to Hendrickson Explains 16th AMendment. I can see the topic title and date of the last entry by using the 2 Weeks time setting but I cannot read (much less add to) the thread itself.

I know I have bitched about this before, but I wanted to make sure that my problem was more clearly enunciated. And yet this difficulty only seems to be of relatively recent vintage. I was able to read (and add to) some really old threads as recently as (I think) 6 months ago.
webhick

Post by webhick »

fortinbras wrote:Cannot explain it but searches beyond the last 7 days show titles of threads but cannot actually connect to them. E.g., under Tax Protesters, 9 days ago was last entry to Hendrickson Explains 16th AMendment. I can see the topic title and date of the last entry by using the 2 Weeks time setting but I cannot read (much less add to) the thread itself.

I know I have bitched about this before, but I wanted to make sure that my problem was more clearly enunciated. And yet this difficulty only seems to be of relatively recent vintage. I was able to read (and add to) some really old threads as recently as (I think) 6 months ago.
I just took your permissions and I can't re-create the problem. What are all the search settings you are using (including the exact query)? What do you mean by "cannot read?" Is there an error message or is it not showing up in the search results?
fortinbras
Princeps Wooloosia

Post by fortinbras »

OK. I click on FORUM on the top of the frame, I pick out the category PROSPERITY ... NESARA and click on that. Automatically the threads active in the last "7 days" are listed. I change the "7 days" at the bottom of the frame to "2 weeks" and click on it. One additional thread, "Quatloos ODD", is listed, with the last entiry dated about ten days ago. But if I click on either its title or the last entry all I get is a line "Nothing posted within the time frame."

That sort of thing happens for every category for everything more than 7 days old. Also the SEARCH feature by the llama's head does not pick up on names or topics beyond 7 days.
webhick

Post by webhick »

Took me a while to figure this one out. At some point you changed your forum display preferences (ucp.php?i=prefs&mode=view) to only show you topics younger than 7 days and posts younger than 7 days. When you change the drop-down while viewing a forum, it only affects your topic-viewing preferences - not your post-viewing preferences.

I recommend that you change your posts-viewing preference:
Go here: ucp.php?i=prefs&mode=view
Change Display posts from previous days: to All posts

Not sure what's going on with the searching. With your settings, I was able to see the Quatloos ODD thread, but got blocked by the time limit restrictions when trying to access it. Changing the posts-viewing preference to All posts obviously bypasses the restriction.

Why I didn't see this earlier simply astounds me. I'm such a goddamned moron.
fortinbras
Princeps Wooloosia

Post by fortinbras »

Thank you very much. I am very sorry that I caused you this trouble. Odd thing, this only seemed to cause me trouble within the past month or so, although I had not changed my preferences since I joined years ago.
fortinbras
Princeps Wooloosia

Post by fortinbras »

Please make the rickymartin threads go way.
webhick

Post by webhick »

????
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Post by wserra »

webhick wrote:????
Gone already (along with spammer ricky).
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume