Identity Theft Issue

General discussion of identity theft issues, including identity theft schemes, phishing scams, and related issues.
Number Six
Hereditary Margrave of Mooloosia

Identity Theft Issue

Post by Number Six »

I travelled to a Canadian border crossing with a church group last year and my identity was flagged by a border agent. I went in and after ascertaining my identity as without significant record, explained to me that my identity had been stolen from someone I do not know. I was told that he had an eight page felonious record, had tatoos and was about a foot shorter than me. They could not show me the record. I went to the State Police the next day--they said they had no records on me. I did a FOIA request with the FBI, came back with no records. I found it interesting that neither the border guards nor the police get records on tax delinquints, which I am not.
'There are two kinds of injustice: the first is found in those who do an injury, the second in those who fail to protect another from injury when they can.' (Roman. Cicero, De Off. I. vii)

'Choose loss rather than shameful gains.' (Chilon Fr. 10. Diels)
BBFlatt
Captain
Captain

Re: Identity Theft Issue

Post by BBFlatt »

Was it the US or Canadian border guard that indicated your identity had been stolen?
When the last law was down and the devil turned 'round on you where would you hide, the laws all being flat? ...Yes, I'd give the devil the benefit of the law, for my own safety's sake. -- Robert Bolt; A Man for all Seasons
Number Six

Post by Number Six »

Canadian. I contacted my US Senator's office which initially said it was not under their jurisdiction. I followed up with contacts and with a letter to the Senator which they said would be addressed in the order it was received. Apparently a FBI snafu.
'There are two kinds of injustice: the first is found in those who do an injury, the second in those who fail to protect another from injury when they can.' (Roman. Cicero, De Off. I. vii)

BBFlatt
Captain
Captain

Post by BBFlatt »

Then I would suggest that the place to start your inquiry as to how you got on a Canadian Border Guard's watch list would be with the Canadian authorities.
When the last law was down and the devil turned 'round on you where would you hide, the laws all being flat? ...Yes, I'd give the devil the benefit of the law, for my own safety's sake. -- Robert Bolt; A Man for all Seasons
Number Six

Post by Number Six »

The Canadian border official said that the issue arose from the US side--that it was the FBI database that generated the information. The official said it was an identity theft issue that I needed to get cleared up within the US authority. The official told me what the name of the felon was and from what town he was from and so forth.