trojan virus

General discussion of identity theft issues, including identity theft schemes, phishing scams, and related issues.
fortinbras
Princeps Wooloosia

Re: trojan virus

Post by fortinbras »

I am grateful for the explanation about spyware vs. virus, and I am grateful for the recommendation of Search & Destroy. I loaded it up and ran it and it eliminated an EXTREMELY annoying Redirect bug that kept sending me to shopping sites.
JamesVincent
A Councilor of the Kabosh

Re: trojan virus

Post by JamesVincent »

webhick wrote:
JamesVincent wrote:
Thank you Web, wasnt thinking about that when I posted it earlier. S&D is an entirely free, constantly updated anti-spyware. They do ask for donations, which I have sent a few dollars their way over the years Ive used it but not required. It is a good supplement to Malwarebytes program.
Fixed it for you. I know it seems like a minor quibble, but spyware is not the same as a virus despite the fact that both are incredibly annoying and sometimes difficult to remove. It should also be noted that an anti-virus program's main focus is prevention (their ability to effectively remove an infection is lacking) and an anti-spyware's main focus is removal (some offer the same behavior of prevention that an anti-virus does, but it slows down the system severely). That being said, there is an overlap between the two. Anti-viruses will often pick up spyware trying to infect your system while anti-spyware will often remove viral infections. But one is never a substitute for the other which is where the spirit of my correction lies.
You are quite correct Web as always and I was quite tired when I was posting this morning... lol. Glad it helped, issues like these can be a royal pain for someone who isnt up on all the digital world. Like I said Ive used both for years together and worked great.
Disciple of the cross and champion in suffering
Immerse yourself into the kingdom of redemption
Pardon your mind through the chains of the divine
Make way, the shepherd of fire

Avenged Sevenfold "Shepherd of Fire"