Question - may be being targeted for ID theft

General discussion of identity theft issues, including identity theft schemes, phishing scams, and related issues.
aldri7

Question - may be being targeted for ID theft

Post by aldri7 »

Hi,

I've recently had some theft out of my mailbox, including a recently issued drivers license and some opened bank and mutual fund mail. I'm concerned about what someone could do if they have my SSN (I don't know, but they might) and DOB (Which they do have) plus account no. info.

What I'd like to do is contact my bank and mutual fund companies because I am concerned that someone could pose as me over the phone, change account info, sell shares, etc. Is this realistic? My online activity should be secure, but over the phone, what is the security level there? My latest phone transaction with my mutual fund company was OK'd with a SSN input only. If someone else had that, could they make a transaction? Any other advice as to contacting these companies or am I overreacting?

thanks,

aldri7@comcast.net
aldri7

Re: Question - may be being targeted for ID theft

Post by aldri7 »

BTW - i did place a fraud alert with the credit reporting agencies, and also checked into online ID theft monitoring. No credit/bank cards have been stolen. aldri7
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Post by Demosthenes »

Demo.
aldri7

Post by aldri7 »

thanks - I went and submitted a complaint.

My bank has issued me a case no. as i called them about the driver's license theft. I also filled out something for the postmaster. The other thing i want to do is send something to my Mutual fund companies. The FTC issued me a complaint and affidavit which I probably need to take to the local police dept that took my stolen driver's license report. Then I can get a full identify theft report which can get mailed to out? I'm just thinking out loud here :)

thanks,

aldri7
aldri7

Post by aldri7 »

I guess what it comes down to is this - how do you report "potential fraud" i.e. "be on the lookout for fraud" as opposed to reporting actual fraud. Is there any system or advice for doing that with the companies where the fraud "might" take place (banks, mutual fund companies, etc)

aldri7
BetterSafe

Post by BetterSafe »

Aside from the FTC http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consume ... idt07.shtm list, consider:

* creating a Google alert for your information
* removing your information from city - data . com
* having important mail delivered to a PO Box
* secure your computer
maj0224

Post by maj0224 »

Identity theft really affects many people. In fact, a recent news features that Internal Revenue Service has been losing billions of dollars to tax return fraud from identity theft. The IRS is not exactly the most popular agency of the federal government, but like many others, it is a target for con artists. More information from this article: Tax return fraud