Customs scam

Discussion of a variety of scams, including dating service scams, cyber-currencies, and other frauds and scams.
Arthur Rubin
Tupa-O-Quatloosia

Customs scam

Post by Arthur Rubin »

Found on JustAnswers:
customer wrote:We are waiting delivery of a BOX from Mexico that our delivery person says we have to pay taxes of 39,000 before Customs will release it
JA wrote: I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me more about what's going on?
Yesw, OK...this box contains my husband's 21 years of retirement money...it is sealed, supposedly can't be opened by anyone but me, I have the code...delivery person says customs is holding this box for 39000
JA wrote: Is there anything else the Expert should be aware of?
that is basically it...we want to know what customs agency has this item, or at least a phone number to call
I think I got to them in time. At least they knew to ask questions.
Arthur Rubin, unemployed tax preparer and aerospace engineer
ImageJoin the Blue Ribbon Online Free Speech Campaign!

Butterflies are free. T-shirts are $19.95 $24.95 $29.95
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Re: Customs scam

Post by wserra »

Arthur Rubin wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:14 am
customer wrote:at least a phone number to call
1-800-SAY-GBYE.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

Yesw, OK...this box contains my husband's 21 years of retirement money...it is sealed
This response seems totally...whacko. Why would one have 21 years of, or for that matter, any amount of money stashed in a box? And if they did, why would they be having it shipped back as freight that has to go through customs? Even if this was a case of them having all of the money in cash in Mexico, could they not walked into any reputable bank there and had the money wired to a bank in their home country?

Maybe I am missing something here, but this sounds like a bad attempt at trying to get illegal proceeds out of Mexico and avoiding having it show up on a paper trail.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
Arthur Rubin
Tupa-O-Quatloosia

Post by Arthur Rubin »

The story mentioned at cbp.gov suggests it was drug money, or mixed drug money and legitimate money, that someone (possibly a relative, possibly a Nigerian prince) was trying to get out of Mexico. The 'mark' would get the legitimate money, and a finder's fee for the drug money....

My 'client' seems a bit too naive to be believable.
Arthur Rubin, unemployed tax preparer and aerospace engineer
ImageJoin the Blue Ribbon Online Free Speech Campaign!

Butterflies are free. T-shirts are $19.95 $24.95 $29.95
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

Arthur Rubin wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:33 am The story mentioned at cbp.gov suggests it was drug money, or mixed drug money and legitimate money, that someone (possibly a relative, possibly a Nigerian prince) was trying to get out of Mexico. The 'mark' would get the legitimate money, and a finder's fee for the drug money....

My 'client' seems a bit too naive to be believable.
Then I second wserra's suggested phone number to call.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff