Porch Pirates aka Parcel Thieves

Discussion of a variety of scams, including dating service scams, cyber-currencies, and other frauds and scams.
Elmware
Blessed Ancient of the Sixth Qu Dynasty

Porch Pirates aka Parcel Thieves

Post by Elmware »

This has become a recent problem lately. You've probably even heard about it on YouTube. It's even funny when karma strikes these bastards, but it's certainly not funny when they take your parcels.

Recently, I have ordered items on the internet, but they never seem to arrive. Tracking the packages indicates they have been delivered, but they go missing, and unfortunately, while I am at work. It's like as if I'm helpless and vulnerable, and even violated, because I don't know when the packages will arrive, and when they do, I'm not even home, and the courier just assumes I'll get it if they leave it at the door, and there doesn't seem to be anything that I can do, unless I just stay home..

Also, I live in an apartment building, so I can't just string cameras out in the hall.

I would love to catch this person, and have them arrested, as I believe that opening other people's mail is a federal offence.

One of the problems here is that some tenants tend to let strangers in through the front door. This could be how the thieves are getting in.
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Re: Porch Pirates aka Parcel Thieves

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

Often, porch pirates trail delivery trucks at a distance. If a package is delivered to a house, the pirates will wait until the truck leaves, and then grab it.

Fortunately, where I live, the drivers will usually ring our doorbell after dropping off the package; and there is usually someone home to get it.
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
JohnPCapitalist
Pirate Captain
Pirate Captain

Post by JohnPCapitalist »

Elmware wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:50 am Recently, I have ordered items on the internet, but they never seem to arrive. Tracking the packages indicates they have been delivered, but they go missing, and unfortunately, while I am at work.
I am sorry to be repetitive if you're already aware of this, or to be irrelevant if you're not in the US, but Amazon has an increasing number of locations with "lockers" where they'll deposit packages and you can retrieve them by using their app. Amazon has about five drop box locations within 2-3 miles (5km) of my home in a mid-sized suburban city. Not sure how much coverage they have in rural areas. It seems they're increasing the number of locations rapidly because of the problem you're experiencing.

Of course, that doesn't solve the problem with non-Amazon packages. I would suspect that UPS and FedEx may start to do the same thing at their retail locations if they haven't already, and they too would probably begin adding locations in other retailers such as pharmacies once they get such a program under way.
obadiah
Pirate
Pirate

Post by obadiah »

Another option is to get a USPS box, if you live in the US. Delivery services (FedEx, UPS,etc.) will not deliver directly to a box BUT:
Have the package delivered to the street address of the Post Office branch plus Suite (box number). I had to do this as we did not get mail at the house due to thieves. The post office will help you with getting the address right.
EX:
12345 Maple St.
Suite V339
Vaughn, WA 98394
1. There is a kind of law that I like, which are my own rules, which I call common law. It applies to me.
2. There are many other kinds of law but they don’t apply to me, because I say so."
LLAP
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
Elmware
Blessed Ancient of the Sixth Qu Dynasty

Post by Elmware »

It turns out, that the postal carrier is too lazy to deliver my packages to my door, or even leave a door tag. Instead, he/she just leaves the package on the desk, right inside the entrance to the building, for people to steal, while I am at work.

I filed a complaint with Canada Post about this. They are currently looking into it.
Burnaby49
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians

Post by Burnaby49 »

One of My sons is a Vancouver postman, actually North Vancouver at the moment. Based on various jobs he's had in the past I'm guessing that he's probably cutting corners, he's always trying to find an angle. So, after having met me almost decade ago, you may be running across my progeny.
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeI-J2PhdGs