Miracle Mineral Solution (MMS)

Discussion of a variety of scams, including dating service scams, cyber-currencies, and other frauds and scams.
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Miracle Mineral Solution (MMS)

Post by wserra »

As a scam, this isn't really on-topic for this board. Still, I had to write on it, and didn't want to consign it to Potpourri. Miracle Mineral Solution is one of the most egregious, shameless, overtly dangerous scams I've ever seen.

I learned about it from an FDA bulletin of about two weeks ago. If you follow the directions for use - more on those later - you ingest chlorine dioxide, a potent industrial bleach. The seller - one Jim Humble - describes chlorine dioxide as "most powerful killer of disease pathogens know (sic) to mankind". It is indeed a potent antiseptic as well - but not really intended for use on living organisms, especially not internal use.

And the hype: "The answer to AIDS, hepatitis A,B and C, malaria, herpes, TB, most cancer and many more of mankind's worse diseases has been found. Many diseases are now easily controlled . . . Over 60% of the AIDS victims that were treated in Uganda were well in 3 days, with 98% well within one month. More than 90% of the malaria victims were well in 4 to 8 hours." Humble must have just sat down and made up some numbers. Why not throw in a 90% cure for Ebola?

As if this were not enough, Humble actually provides instructions for intravenous administration. Yes, you read that correctly - mainlining bleach. As with oral administration, reactions such as vomiting or diarrhea are nothing to fear. In fact, they prove that the stuff is working: "If you notice diarrhea, or even vomiting, that is not a bad sign. You are killing pathogens faster than your liver can process them for elimination. Therefore slow down the killing process. The body is simply throwing off poisons and cleaning itself out. Everyone says that they feel much better after the diarrhea."

Perhaps if you die, that's the best sign of all. Unbelievable.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
silversopp

Re: Miracle Mineral Solution (MMS)

Post by silversopp »

Technically, he is correct about his product. If you die, the AIDS virus dies with you. So it's a win!
The Dog
First Mate
First Mate

Post by The Dog »

He doesn't help his cause by having an image on the cover entitled "The CLO2 ion" . (It's actually a molecule and the L should be lower case).

Hazardous Substances Data Bank suggests that an atmospheric concentration of 19ppm is fatal.
http://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/sis/htmlgen?HSDB

Apart from its intrinsic toxicity, if you dissolve chlorine dioxide in water, it will react with anything organic present to produce such niceities as chloroform and dioxins.
Emet

Post by Emet »

"Science-Based Medicine" wrote about this on August 6, 2010:
Can it get any worse?: industrial bleach as cancer and HIV cure

I bring you one of the most egregious and obscene product cases I have seen in 15 years of teaching on botanical and non-botanical products: Miracle Mineral Solution. Please accept my apologies in advance for not having a scholarly post for you today – this is just too unbelievable not to share with Science-Based Medicine readers.
http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/?p=6430
Number Six
Hereditary Margrave of Mooloosia

Post by Number Six »

wserra wrote:

As if this were not enough, Humble actually provides instructions for intravenous administration. Yes, you read that correctly - mainlining bleach. As with oral administration, reactions such as vomiting or diarrhea are nothing to fear. In fact, they prove that the stuff is working: "If you notice diarrhea, or even vomiting, that is not a bad sign. You are killing pathogens faster than your liver can process them for elimination. Therefore slow down the killing process. The body is simply throwing off poisons and cleaning itself out. Everyone says that they feel much better after the diarrhea."

Perhaps if you die, that's the best sign of all. Unbelievable.
This is quackery of a very high order. I have seen most all of the "remedies" for the various ills that plague mankind. What Mr. Humble describes as a "healing reaction", otherwise known as a Herxheimer reaction, is instead a poisoning through a potent toxin. The idea that the body is full of "toxicity" and needs to be cleansed of various types of unhealthy substances and oxidents is an extreme view. There are competant licensed physicians who teach their patients to have healthy diets with a minimum of junk food an ample exercise regimin, etc.. There is a reason that drugs are regulated with consequences for improper administration, even criminal prosecution as with Conrad Murray. I hope this quack is stopped soon.
'There are two kinds of injustice: the first is found in those who do an injury, the second in those who fail to protect another from injury when they can.' (Roman. Cicero, De Off. I. vii)

'Choose loss rather than shameful gains.' (Chilon Fr. 10. Diels)
Emet

Post by Emet »

Number Six wrote: The idea that the body is full of "toxicity" and needs to be cleansed of various types of unhealthy substances and oxidents is an extreme view.
(bolding mine)

Actually, it's a commonly held view for many of the woo science peddlers--take it orally, take it rectally, take it intravenously--and the laughable/sad part is it's based on beliefs from 500 years ago:
Toxins: The new evil humours

They say that everything old is new again and that is certainly true in the world of “alternative” health. One of the axiomatic premises of contemporary “alternative” health puts its believers behind the times … by approximately 500 years.

A fundamental premise held by believers in “alternative” health is that we are swimming in a world of “toxins” and those “toxins” are causing disease.

The preoccupation with “toxins” is a direct lineal descendant of the obsession with evil humours and miasmas as causes of disease.

These theories shared several important features. The evil humours, miasmas, etc. were invisible, but all around us. They constantly threatened people, and those people had no way of fending off the threat. Indeed, they were often completely unaware of the threat that was actively harming them.

Evil humours, miasmas, demons, etc. were put to rest by the germ theory of disease. That was the first big breakthrough in our understanding that each disease was separate and has its own specific cause. The search for causes has taken us beyond bacteria and viruses, through errors of metabolism and chromosomal aberrations, right down to the level of the gene itself.

But fear and superstition never die and the “alternative” health community has used that fear and superstition to resurrect primitive beliefs. It is axiomatic in the “alternative” health community that disease is caused by evil humours and miasmas. They just don’t call it that anymore; they call it “toxins.”

“Alternative” health practitioners are nothing more than quacks and charlatans and their “remedies” are nothing more than snake oil. The fact that anyone in this day and age still believes in such crackpot theories is a tribute to the power of ignorance and superstition.

Evil humours and miasmas have not died, they’ve been reincarnated as “toxins.”
http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/?p=3193
Number Six
Hereditary Margrave of Mooloosia

Post by Number Six »

Mark Twain said “The only way to keep your health is to eat what you don't want, drink what you don't like, and do what you'd rather not.”

This should be the motto of the health faddists. Also, "The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom".
'There are two kinds of injustice: the first is found in those who do an injury, the second in those who fail to protect another from injury when they can.' (Roman. Cicero, De Off. I. vii)

'Choose loss rather than shameful gains.' (Chilon Fr. 10. Diels)
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

It never ceases to amaze me how these idiots always go into raptures when they discover very old folk remedies for this or that, and then trip over their own feet in the rush to discard years of medical research which proves that these old folk remedies are, at best, useless, and often hazardous.
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
The Dog
First Mate
First Mate

Post by The Dog »

The FDA has issued a warning.

http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/Consume ... 28.htm#MMS
Miracle Mineral Solution: Dangerous to Drink
Miracle Mineral Solution, also known as "Miracle Mineral Supplement" or "MMS," should not be consumed.

MMS is distributed on Internet sites and online auctions. MMS claims to treat HIV, hepatitis, the H1N1 flu, common colds, acne, cancer, and other conditions. FDA is not aware of any research showing that MMS is effective in treating any of these conditions.

The risk: When mixed with citrus juice or other acid as directed, the mixture produces a bleach used for stripping textiles and industrial water treatment. High doses of this bleach—such as those recommended on the label—can cause nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and severe dehydration.

Recommendations

Stop using MMS immediately and throw it away.
If you have experienced any bad side effects from MMS, contact your health care professional immediately.
GMac
Scalawag
Scalawag

Post by GMac »

The irony of things is that ten years later, this awful crap has been revived as a coronavirus "cure" and is even forced on kids as a "cure" for autism.
However, their version of science is flawed because real science predicts no survivors left alive on earth if my father's Vatican endorsed food process is not revived and frankly immediatly is none too soon! -ERASMUS OF AMERICA
wserra

Post by wserra »

Some people lack the mental wattage to invent new scams. They simply recycle old ones.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

Everything old is new again, especially if you have a really short attention span or room temperature IQ. Sigh!!
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
Frater I*I
Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Someone who has been peddling this junk had an interesting day....

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/ ... story.html
Gazer Into the SovCit Abyss