Donald Lapre indicted - finally.

Discussion of a variety of scams, including dating service scams, cyber-currencies, and other frauds and scams.
Judge Roy Bean
Judge for the District of Quatloosia

Donald Lapre indicted - finally.

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

It's taken four years but The Greatest Vitamin in the World scammer is finally being indicted.

http://www.justice.gov/usao/az/PR_06152011_Lapre.html
"This indictment goes to show that if something sounds too good to be true, it probably is," said U.S. Attorney Dennis K. Burke. "Mr. Lapre used incessant nationally televised info-mercials to hawk his vitamins and worthless websites as a way to get rich quick without working hard. His scams swindled a sea of victims, but thanks to the efforts of the Postal Inspection Service and the IRS, he will face justice."
Indictment:
http://www.casewatch.org/doj/lapre/indictment.pdf

One count of Conspiracy, ten each of mail fraud, wire fraud, promotional money laundering, transactional money laundering and of course, criminal forfeiture.
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Re: Donald Lapre indicted - finally.

Post by notorial dissent »

Gee, couldn't happen to a more deserving individual, and really unfortunate that it has taken this long to get the little sleaze. He has ripped off a lot of people over the last what 20 years or so. I don't understand why they are just going after him for the vitamins, since he was doing the internet 90 number scam for a whole lotta years before that. I was also under the impression that he wasn't really the principal in the vitamin scam, but that someone was basically using him as a front, but that was just internet gossip.

The fraud charges I get, but the promotional and transactional money laundering I don't see. I'm quite sure there was all kinds of fraud going on, but those puzzle me.

In any event, I hope they make a real pauper out of him and put him away for a very long time.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
ArthurWankspittle
Slavering Minister of Auto-erotic Insinuation

Post by ArthurWankspittle »

Judge Roy Bean wrote:One count of Conspiracy, ten each of mail fraud, wire fraud, promotional money laundering, transactional money laundering and of course, criminal forfeiture.
I note the DOJ release says he could be looking at 25 years for the mail and wire fraud, but I thought it was 5 years per count, so he could be looking at 50 years. Or are they taking the sentencing guidelines into account?
"There is something about true madness that goes beyond mere eccentricity." Will Self
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Post by wserra »

ArthurWankspittle wrote:I note the DOJ release says he could be looking at 25 years for the mail and wire fraud, but I thought it was 5 years per count, so he could be looking at 50 years. Or are they taking the sentencing guidelines into account?
The Guidelines can't increase a sentence beyond the statutory maximum.

Mail fraud (18 USC 1341) and wire fraud (18 USC 1343) each carry 20 years (unless the fraud affects a financial institution, in which case it's 30 years). I have no idea where the AZ U.S. Attorney's Office got 25 years. Maybe it's the hot sun down there.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
notorial dissent

Apparently Lapre didn't think that he had to show up for his arraignment and skipped out on it, and as a result was arrested this evening in Tempe. http://www.justice.gov/usao/az/

They also have a nice wanted poster, listed as well.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
texino
Grand Debunker of Medical Quackery

Post by texino »

I hope I have my facts right, but to my understanding Lapre was deemed a flight risk and ordered held without bail until his trial. I believe this to be proper given his history.
ҨTexino₪
Siga el dinero
El camino continúa por siempre, pero el partido nunca termina
texino@gmail.com
notorial dissent

Well, it's not like he is a little lying little sos or anything like that!!!!! And given his past track record, and level of personal integrity and honesty, I think that was probably a right good idea.

I think some quality jail time will do him good, get him used to what the next several years of his life are going to be like. I am hoping they get the missus as well, as I think she is as much part and parcel in this as he is.
Judge Roy Bean

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three