The Power Within < Hot Coals

Discussion of a variety of scams, including dating service scams, cyber-currencies, and other frauds and scams.
Lambkin
Warder of the Quatloosian Gibbet

The Power Within < Hot Coals

Post by Lambkin »

There are also some great quotes in the New York Times article on the same subject.
http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-new ... s-firewalk
Amid inspirational talk, chanted mantras and shouts of victory at a late-night firewalking event attended by thousands Thursday came agonized shrieks from followers whose soles were scorched by the superheated coals, witnesses said.

At least 21 people were treated for burn injuries after taking part in the crowning event of the first day of a Tony Robbins function downtown, including at least three who went to the hospital, a San Jose fire captain said.

The people who suffered various second- and third-degree burn injuries were among more than 6,000 who attended the motivational speaker's event at the San Jose Convention Center called "Unleash the Power Within."

After the event, which ended about 11 p.m., the crowd walked across the street to the park, where 12 lanes of hot coals measuring 10 feet long and 2½-feet wide rested on the grass.

Jonathan Correll, 25, decided to check out what was going on when "I heard wails of pain, screams of agony." He said one young woman appeared to be in so much pain "it was horrific."
Kestrel
Endangerer of Stupid Species

Re: The Power Within < Hot Coals

Post by Kestrel »

Let me guess...

Tony DIDN'T lead by example.
"Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." - Robert Heinlein
Unidyne
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Post by Unidyne »

I used to listen to his tapes back in the early 90's, until I realized it was all "good vibes" fluff.

I'd love to see how he puts a positive spin on this.
Irony: The Ayn Rand® Institute (ARI) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization.
Number Six
Hereditary Margrave of Mooloosia

Post by Number Six »

I will have to confess to being conflicted when reading the story. If people are not following diets and lifestyles that the best of research has pretty much proven to be sensible and healthy, then they are going to be more likely to be vulnerable to injury when they do a quack stunt like walking over coals hot enough to barbecue raw meat. Lawsuits should be laughed out of court on this one.

And yes Tony Robbins and his "positive" empowerment messages may be useful for some; but "positive" thinking can be negative thinking in reverse. Various things make you feel good for a while and it does seem to be the remedy. You become dependent on that which gives you the effect. "Positive thinkers" usually die from degenerative diseases. They isolate themselves from the real problem by slapping on sugar-coated ideas or swallowing nice-sounding affirmations.
'There are two kinds of injustice: the first is found in those who do an injury, the second in those who fail to protect another from injury when they can.' (Roman. Cicero, De Off. I. vii)

'Choose loss rather than shameful gains.' (Chilon Fr. 10. Diels)
Quixote
Quatloosian Master of Deception

Post by Quixote »

Robbins has been doing the fire walking stunt for years without anyone getting burned enough to want to sue. Something went wrong this time. If the coals were not properly prepared, the ash would not provide the insulation that is a big part of why firewalking is possible. Contrary to popular belief, positive thinking will not keep you from being burned. Positive thinking is needed to firewalk because a non-positive thinker is not going to try it at all.

Robbins assured people they would not be burned. If his employees prepared the coals wrong, I don't see how he will escape liability.
"Here is a fundamental question to ask yourself- what is the goal of the income tax scam? I think it is a means to extract wealth from the masses and give it to a parasite class." Skankbeat
Arthur Rubin
Tupa-O-Quatloosia

Post by Arthur Rubin »

Quixote wrote:Robbins has been doing the fire walking stunt for years without anyone getting burned enough to want to sue. Something went wrong this time. If the coals were not properly prepared, the ash would not provide the insulation that is a big part of why firewalking is possible. Contrary to popular belief, positive thinking will not keep you from being burned. Positive thinking is needed to firewalk because a non-positive thinker is not going to try it at all.

Robbins assured people they would not be burned. If his employees prepared the coals wrong, I don't see how he will escape liability.
I'm not going to exerpt before quoting, because I'm not sure I can edit it down.

When firewalking, it's also important to walk quickly, as, if you stand momentarily, your feet will start getting hot. And that requires positive thinking, as it puts in the middle of the coals before you have a chance to test whether it works.

As for Robbins' assurances, he assures people of a lot of things. I'm surprised more of the false assurances aren't actionable.
Arthur Rubin, unemployed tax preparer and aerospace engineer
ImageJoin the Blue Ribbon Online Free Speech Campaign!

Butterflies are free. T-shirts are $19.95 $24.95 $29.95